Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust muffler sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004 | 07:21 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Default Exhaust muffler sizes

I am thinking of getting a Lindsey mild steel 3" exhaust without the mufflers and then getting some nice 3" straight through mufflers to go with it. The Lindsey wastegate tie-in is before the cat so that should free up space around there to get at leas a 6" round x 18" long pre-muffler in. For the rear I was guessing something like an 5"x11" oval, 22" long.

Does anyone know if the sizes sound ok, orwhat the biggest muffler and resonator I can put in the stock locations?

Maganflow make mufflers of the sizes I think I need for a good price, they look like a solid straight though design.

Also, looking at the Lindsey wastegate pipe connection, it does not look like they use the oval flange, is it just a slip fit and clamp or what?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2004 | 07:43 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I know you've been waiting on my impressions of the exhaust setup on my car. But I keep having setback after setback. I've got tomorrow through Tuesday blocked off to finish it. My only advice on your purchase is to find out the diameters of the pipes. If for example you buy pipe that's 3" outer diameter, try to find a muffler that is 3" inner diameter. That way you can slip and clamp it together no welding required. My cat back and muffler were both 3" outer, I rigged it up for temp duty by cramping a piece of 3" inner in-between the two pieces. Eventually I'll remove that and weld it together. Also, I found the multiple joints on my setup to be very handy for installation. The test pipe is 2 pieces and the cat back is 3.
Old 03-11-2004 | 07:47 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Stephen,
Good call on the dia's. I will probably end up welding the whole thing together, thats why I want mild steel. I can weld pretty good on it and won't need to shell out for new gas and wire for my MIG. Can't wait to see what you think of the resonator. If you dont mind, Can you tell me what sizes your mufflers / resonators are?
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:18 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

I've got the 5x8x14 oval Magnaflow, PN 14219, they've got the same thing in aluminized @ Hott Exhaust.com for $69, I doubt you will find a cheaper source on the net for magnaflow, I searched them all. The local muff shops all wanted full pop and had ridiculous shipping times.

I went with the 5x8x14, because it was all that would fit in the spot with that huge tip and as you already know it didn't provide enough muffling power for my tastes. They also make 18 and 24 inch cans.

I'm not sure what the diamter of the resonator is wither 3.5" or 4". I couldn't get my calipers around it.
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:34 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

I see what your saying, you wanted to keep the tip length, I guess if you were not concerned about that you could probably get away with a 5x8x18. I doudt looking at your picture if a 5x11x22 would fit. I guess I will do some measuring. Let me know if you manage to measure that resonator, if you can measure the circumference with a tape that would work just as good.
Thanks.
Old 03-12-2004 | 02:46 AM
krickmann
Instructor

Check: www.bigexhaust.com

Quick Reply: Exhaust muffler sizes