Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost control

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004 | 01:22 AM
jbarreto
Track Day

Default Boost control

Getting ready for a Summit Point DE this weekend. 1986 951 with GURU chip, ReliaBoost and Bursch cat by-pass pipe. To make boost adjustments I just installed a VDO boost guage. Also CO was at 4.5, now it is adjusted at 1.5.

After adjusting the RelaBoost, this is my readout when pulling towards redline:
1st gear 10psi
2nd gear 14 psi
3rd gear 16 psi
4th and 5th gear 21 psi.

I have Danno's 18 psi chip to replace the current 15(?) psi chip but I can't figure out the low psi in lower gears and the higher psi in higher gears.

Also when accelerating in 2nd gear below 2500 rpm car bogs and stumbles until it hits 3000 then runs very well. Every once in a while when hitting the accelerator hard it will back fire.

Should I stay with the 15 vs 18 psi chip?

Other than this it is running very strong. Trying to get it sorted out!

What is FQS and how is it adjusted? What is the CV and does it have to be bypassed?
Thanks,
John

Old 03-11-2004 | 01:48 AM
NZ951
Race Director

You just cant make high PSI in low gears, the turbo cant produce the pressure... no boost controller or MAP will cure that. 10 in first is close, but 14 in seond is low if you have your cotroller set to 21 psi. Also, if you are hitting 21 in 4th and 5th, you will blow your HG or worse soon with chips mapped for 15.

There are dozens of posts on how to remove the CV, you can do this now you have another boost controller...
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:39 AM
jbarreto
Track Day

So it'll be beneficial to install the 18psi chip?
Old 03-11-2004 | 08:16 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jbarreto
So it'll be beneficial to install the 18psi chip?
If you are going to run 18psi then I would say yes. You need to bypass the CV though so you can get better control of your boost. I think the best way to bypass the CV is run a line straight from your ReliaBoost to the waste gate and just get rid of the line that was on there or tie it out of the way. Then where the ReliaBoost hooked to before, going under the intake manifold there is another line the same size that runs to the intake boot that you can remove and plug the intake boot with a proper size bolt and hose clamp. I would bypass the CV first and turn the ReliaBoost down before you drive it and see how that goes.
Old 03-11-2004 | 11:47 PM
jbarreto
Track Day

Tom,Thanks. I spoke to Danno today. Tomorrow I'll have the 18psi chip installed and also try the bypass. When I was dropping off the car to the shop tonight, on the way, I lost almost all power for about 10 minutes of driving. The 951 would not exceed 1000-1500 rom in any gear so I was crawling. Then as I got ready to park it, all power came back on. Not a good thing since I'm planning on being at Summit Point Sat and Sun. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Boost control