Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear spacers for my 17in turbo twists

Hey,

I bought some Mille Miglia Turbo Twist 17in wheels last summer, and I never got around to spacing them out last summer, as I didnt drive the car much, and I never really found the info I needed.

I just breifly searched the forums, and I was only seeing people needing spacers for their '86s so I didnt find any info on my car. I believe the wheel widths are 7.5, and 9.5, but I dont remember. I bought these from TireRack. It appears as though I need about 1 inch spacing for the back, as my wheels are tucked in a lot in the back. My guess is a 25mm spacer, and longer studs would be the way to go?

I am going to pull the rear wheels off this afternoon/evening, and I will see if the offset is stamped on them. But if anyone knows what the offset is on these wheels, let me know. Also, what SHOULD the offset be for the rear?

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just realized I didnt put the year of my car - Its a 1987 951. so it should have the later offset.

Also, Weltmeister makes the turbo star spacers, has anyone used these? Had good or bad luck with them? Any other sugestions for spacers?

Thanks,

Old 03-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mille Miglia makes these wheels in both early and late offset. So if you ordered the wheels for your car (late offset), you shouldn't need any spacers.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rob
Mille Miglia makes these wheels in both early and late offset. So if you ordered the wheels for your car (late offset), you shouldn't need any spacers.

Do you think Tirerack sent the wrong offset then? I thought it was odd when they didnt space out all the way, but I just thought I needed spacers, and didnt put any thought into the fact that they might be the wrong offset...

I guess its probably to late to call tirerack about it too... hmm... bummer..
Old 03-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are the offsets given on the rear surface of the rims?

Edit: Didn't you also have the problem with early offset rotors on the front of your car as well? Could it be possible for your car to be an 86 (maybe just sold in 87)? This would explain the front rotors and how late offset wheels would look mounted on your car.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rob
What are the offsets given on the rear surface of the rims?

Edit: Didn't you also have the problem with early offset rotors on the front of your car as well? Could it be possible for your car to be an 86 (maybe just sold in 87)? This would explain the front rotors and how late offset wheels would look mounted on your car.

Rob,

First - On the rims I just pulled off it says "ET 47"

Second - Yes, I did have trouble with the early brake rotors/hubs/spindles. I Really didnt think the rear was a problem, even though the rear was involved in an accident with the POs. I could check part numbers on the suspension if that would help out any?

All the VIN numbers check out okay, so far I have found 3 places on the car where the VIN number is, and they all match. (window, firewall, and next to the fuse box) I do know they can mix up VIN numbers on cars, and maybe thats the case? but the car has stuff that an '87 should have, like the updated headers (which could have been replaced). So I am just not sure HOW I would find this out for sure?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ET 47 is for the late offset cars. I did a search on your user name and saw a picture of your car with early offset fuchs. Since they didn't make any fuchs that would fit the late offset suspention (from what I have heard), I would have to assume your car has a complete early offset suspension on it.

Danno has a complete write-up on what is required to run late offset wheels on an early offset car.

Danno's write-up
Old 03-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rob
The ET 47 is for the late offset cars. I did a search on your user name and saw a picture of your car with early offset fuchs. Since they didn't make any fuchs that would fit the late offset suspention (from what I have heard), I would have to assume your car has a complete early offset suspension on it.

Danno has a complete write-up on what is required to run late offset wheels on an early offset car.

Danno's write-up
Rob, Thanks for that info, I will check into that for sure. I breifly went over Danno's page. Sounds like it will be a pretty easy fix if thats the case.

Also, yes, my car did have the Fuchs on it, and you are right, fuchs dont fit on '87 cars. Those rims were on the car when I bought it. They DIDNT fit, becuase the PO nailed the front fenders quite a few times becuase of it. This being the case, I am not sure if the setup is '86? Becuase if it was '86, the Fuchs would have fit perfectly, correct?

Also, Wouldnt the rear tires of the Fuchs be tucked FARTHER into the wheel well, with their offset less? Or am I completely wrong about how the offset works?

Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: rear spacers for my 17in turbo twists