Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My '88 951 with 60k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 05:47 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUNKYBOWSER
Two days ago I finished replacing the leaking oil o-ring on the turbo. The old one was flattened out. Luckily nothing broke when I removed the intake manifold.

I also changed out the Boxster wheels I got earlier. I didn't like the look, so I got a set of Cup replicas which I had powdercoated. They look great now.

I also got around to replacing the rear speakers. I took out the rear windows to make it easier. The first window was difficult but after I got the method down the second was much easier. Old vs. new speakers:

Since I rebuilt my power steering pump, it still hasn't been working well. It's been making noises and vibrations when I try to turn the wheel. I tried turning lock to lock and filling the fluid but no help. I had a problem with the belt vibrating so I tightened the belt as much as I could and still no change. I'm worried if I tighten it anymore it will break. For now I have the belt off and I'm going manual.

Ever consider a switch to the LR oil feed line-braided stainless line (See link below)?

Did you notice after your O-ring seal, the leak stopped? Any smoke or burning oil smell?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...1-TFEED-3.html
Old 05-02-2020, 06:54 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Ever consider a switch to the LR oil feed line-braided stainless line (See link below)?

Did you notice after your O-ring seal, the leak stopped? Any smoke or burning oil smell?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...1-TFEED-3.html
I may consider a new feed line when I upgrade the turbo. I replaced the o-ring with the factory part and that stopped the smoke and the leak. No issues in the last two days.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Today I deleted the cruise control and the windshield washer tank. Only took 20 minutes for both things which I never use.

I also took some photos of the LED headlights. I haven't aimed them or anything but they seem to light up the road well and have a good cutoff line.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

So after I rebuilt my power steering pump it still didn't work right. It may be fixable but I'm sick of messing with it and my power steering rack is a leaky mess. I've decided to go with a manual rack. I bought a manual rack and intermediate shaft on eBay and I've been working on that today. I've also got some Koni strut inserts,a front ride height adjustment kit, and rear shocks from Paragon which I'll install as well.

Brake calipers are also being refreshed. I bead blasted them and will be painting them red soon. I also ordered new drilled rotors and pads as well as stainless lines.
I also ordered Sway-a-Way 28mm torsion bars from Paragon. Sway-a-Way told Jason at Paragon that they would ship out in about a month. Now it's been 2 months and some change and still no torsion bars. Jason has been great with his communication, but Sway-a-Way is really dropping the ball. Hope they show up soon.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:29 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUNKYBOWSER
Today I deleted the cruise control and the windshield washer tank. Only took 20 minutes for both things which I never use.

I also took some photos of the LED headlights. I haven't aimed them or anything but they seem to light up the road well and have a good cutoff line.

Which led lights did you buy? how is the fitment with the lights moving up+ down without interference?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 AM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto on this question, the lights look like a massive upgrade.

Also curious on how difficult they were to install
Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Which led lights did you buy? how is the fitment with the lights moving up+ down without interference?
Originally Posted by tbg22
ditto on this question, the lights look like a massive upgrade.

Also curious on how difficult they were to install
I bought from this link: Here

It looks like these lights are the same, but a little cheaper: Cheaper Version

There is no interference whatsoever. Installation is easy, plug and play. Just connect the large connector and you can leave the small red wire disconnected.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:30 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

For the past week or so I've been working on my brake calipers. Cleaned, bead blasted, and then painted. It took much longer than I would have liked but I'm pretty happy with the results. All I have to do now is sand down the Porsche logo.

I used G2 brush-on caliper paint. I think the most important factor to get this paint to look good is the ambient temperature. I did it indoors at around 70 degrees. They recommend application somewhere in the range of 50-70 degrees. Of course, doing this indoors resulted in inhalation of more fumes than I would have preferred.

Quick Reply: My '88 951 with 60k miles