Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My '88 951 with 60k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky and found unused genuine motor mounts on an auction site here in Japan. Unsure of the age, but I assume they'll be fine. The rubber has an outer layer that seems to be cracking and peeling off, but I think it's just from the rubber molding process.

Got both for $300!

Old 03-01-2020, 10:39 PM
bgtcero
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Looks nice and welcome back. I have a very similar car and absolutely love mine. I have had it for 17 years and don't plan to sell it (every time I do, I drive it for one last time and change my mind).
I know that feel bro. I'm being pressured to sell and the idea of it feels like a gut punch. I'm running out of excuses. But obviously I can't sell the car until the stereo works properly, and of course I can't put an ad up without getting it detailed first - that would just be irresponsible. Yeah, that's the ticket, it would be irresponsible of me to sell the car now. I just took this a couple hours ago:

951 12500 20200301
Old 03-11-2020, 06:00 PM
notnilc20
Intermediate

Wonder how much it was. Sounds like you got a helluva deal. Congrats!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:02 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

I finally moved back to the U.S. two days ago, so it's time to get started on the 944 again.

Yesterday I installed A few things, starting with new front speakers. I went with these:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6432CFX-2-way-Speakers/dp/B07VKBHQ8J/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=infinity+4x6&qid=1587110061&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6432CFX-2-way-Speakers/dp/B07VKBHQ8J/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=infinity+4x6&qid=1587110061&sr=8-3

These speakers fit perfectly behind the late speaker grills. I used similar model of speaker a few years ago on my last 944 and I was very happy with the sound. The only bad thing about these new ones is the plastic bracket is glued to the speaker and took some prying to get off so I could transfer the Porsche bracket.

The plan is to add Auxiliary input to my SQR46 radio, and then use its amplifier output to run an amp for all four speakers and a hidden subwoofer in the driver's side storage compartment.

Then I got around to rebuilding my power steering pump, which has lost all it's fluid last time I took the belt off. Installing the new shaft seal was tricky.... I hope I didn't damage it. We'll see next time I drive the car.

Finally I installed new LED headlights. I did some research on these and found the light pattern to be pretty good. I'll try to post model information and more photos later today or tomorrow.

Today I'm tackling the motor mounts. Wish me luck!
Old 04-18-2020, 10:35 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Led? Brand?

Originally Posted by CHUNKYBOWSER
I finally moved back to the U.S. two days ago, so it's time to get started on the 944 again.

Yesterday I installed A few things, starting with new front speakers. I went with these: https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refe...7110061&sr=8-3

These speakers fit perfectly behind the late speaker grills. I used similar model of speaker a few years ago on my last 944 and I was very happy with the sound. The only bad thing about these new ones is the plastic bracket is glued to the speaker and took some prying to get off so I could transfer the Porsche bracket.

The plan is to add Auxiliary input to my SQR46 radio, and then use its amplifier output to run an amp for all four speakers and a hidden subwoofer in the driver's side storage compartment.

Then I got around to rebuilding my power steering pump, which has lost all it's fluid last time I took the belt off. Installing the new shaft seal was tricky.... I hope I didn't damage it. We'll see next time I drive the car.

Finally I installed new LED headlights. I did some research on these and found the light pattern to be pretty good. I'll try to post model information and more photos later today or tomorrow.

Today I'm tackling the motor mounts. Wish me luck!
Got a link to the exact led front lights used? Let me know.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:45 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Got a link to the exact led front lights used? Let me know.
I used these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-80W-7-inc...72.m2749.l2649

Plug and play installation. Light pattern also has a nice solid cutoff.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:54 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Yesterday I managed to get my motor mounts installed. For some reason this time was much more difficult than the last time I did it. Unfortunately I jacked up the engine a little too high and now my thermostat housing is leaking. Can't drive the car until I get a replacement in a few days. Here's a photo of the height difference between the old and new mounts.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Radmd74
Racer

I used these:

I see. Is there an easier way to just keep the front lights and just change the bulbs out? No?
Old 04-18-2020, 11:14 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

I see. Is there an easier way to just keep the front lights and just change the bulbs out? No?
To be honest, I'm not sure. In terms of difficulty this wasn't hard at all. About as simple as it gets.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:11 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Yesterday I managed to get my motor mounts installed. For some reason this time was much more difficult than the last time I did it. Unfortunately I jacked up the engine a little too high and now my thermostat housing is leaking.
May I ask... how did jacking up the engine cause the thermostat housing--I assume you mean the oil cooler one (with no cooler in it)--to leak?

One time, I too was changing my mounts and realized I had the engine raised so far that it was holding the car in the air off the front floor jacks!

Old 04-19-2020, 04:29 PM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used these:

Thanks for the LED link...just want to confirm they are plug and play...ebay site says they are not...
Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 PM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
May I ask... how did jacking up the engine cause the thermostat housing--I assume you mean the oil cooler one (with no cooler in it)--to leak?

One time, I too was changing my mounts and realized I had the engine raised so far that it was holding the car in the air off the front floor jacks!
What seems to have broke is the plastic hose nipple on the water pump. Number 7 in this diagram. I have a replacement on the way. The hose from this nipple is attached to the crossbar attached to the frame of the car. When I raised the engine, the crossbar didn't move and the force on the hose caused the plastic to break.

Originally Posted by thom4782
Thanks for the LED link...just want to confirm they are plug and play...ebay site says they are not...
Totally plug and play. Comes with the appropriate wiring harness in the box. Low beams and high beams both work fine.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Radmd74
Racer

To be honest, I'm not sure. In terms of difficulty this wasn't hard at all. About as simple as it gets.
If you can post a pic of the new lights would be cool and their brightness in the dark. No rush.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:01 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

If you can post a pic of the new lights would be cool and their brightness in the dark. No rush.
I will as soon as I can drive the car.

Recently I finished installing my keyless entry system; now I can lock and unlock the doors as well as the trunk from afar. I also installed clear side markers and front turn signals, but now my blinkers aren't working when my headlights are on. I think I may have used the wrong bulb somewhere....

I was planning on driving the car on Monday, but I noticed smoke from around the turbo area when I warmed up my car in the garage. Then I noticed the leak from the oil feed line. This is after spraying it down with parts cleaner, but you can see where the oil is weeping out.

Now I'm waiting for a replacement o-ring and I'll have to take the intake manifold off!

I also replaced some interior plastic and switches with ones in better condition. It's a pain to take these dashes apart but luckily I didn't break anything. Lost a few screws though.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:37 AM
CHUNKYBOWSER
Intermediate

Two days ago I finished replacing the leaking oil o-ring on the turbo. The old one was flattened out. Luckily nothing broke when I removed the intake manifold.

I also changed out the Boxster wheels I got earlier. I didn't like the look, so I got a set of Cup replicas which I had powdercoated. They look great now.

I also got around to replacing the rear speakers. I took out the rear windows to make it easier. The first window was difficult but after I got the method down the second was much easier. Old vs. new speakers:

Since I rebuilt my power steering pump, it still hasn't been working well. It's been making noises and vibrations when I try to turn the wheel. I tried turning lock to lock and filling the fluid but no help. I had a problem with the belt vibrating so I tightened the belt as much as I could and still no change. I'm worried if I tighten it anymore it will break. For now I have the belt off and I'm going manual.

Quick Reply: My '88 951 with 60k miles