Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

More educated turbo questions - kind of long

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Mark Wo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More educated turbo questions - kind of long

As always - thanks for all the help and all the questions thrown back at me.

I spent some time researching the question of what turbo to put onto my car and have talked with a number of people.. It has been suggested by a couple of these folks to ask for experiences with a couple of different turbo configuration.

What I want out of the car is more power than I get from the stock K26/6 with all my other add ons (huntley MAF, huntely fuel controller, Aplit Second A/F meter, profec b, "test pipe" Autothrotiy version 2.7 chipset). I know myself well enough to knwo that I don't want to toy with the car and spend lots of time on the dyno tuning the car. As much as I would like to say I would do this, I know myself well enough to know that it isn't going to happen. As much as I would love to eventually add a system such as Link 2, I know that I probably won't. I envy all you guys who spend the time on your cars and and really teweak the thing but I know that I'm not one of you - wish I was.

This will most likely be the last upgrade I make to car other than minor stuff like adjsutable fuel pressure regulator and maybe a couple of other things.

I want a car that can spin the wheels in first and chirp the wheels in second. I want a car that is reliable and doens't have to go back to the shop.

Here are my choices:

1. Go with a turbo from Majestic. I have a couple of chocies. A max flo K26/6 (also called cheater k26 or k27/6) I was told to expect somewhere slightly over 325 rwhp. Cost is very reasonable ($630 - 800 or so). Turn around time is a couple of days

2. Go with a stage III TO4E with either a 50 or 57 trim with a 6 or 8 hot housing. This too isn't too much more than the above turbo. I can expect to get more hp out of this one and it is more easily upgraded later if needed (which I know I will never do). Kevin at Majestic has been great so far and I beleive he will take care of me. He has mentioned that there is some minor "fabrication" in this set up due to the oil in and oil out line but that it is more a minor inconvience than "fabrication" Any other opinions on this comment. With this turbo, I will probably need to get more fuel to the car. Kevin said I should be able to tune it with my current stuff on the car. (Cost of turbo little north or $800) I can expect 350+ rwhp.

3. Talk with Danno and get a turbo from him (most likely a cheater K26 it sounds like) and then gets his chips custom burned for my vehicle. With my current Autothority chips, and the ARC fuel controller, would new chips add anything to the car? I don't know what the cost would be for this and do not know what to expect form the car when finsihed. Danno can be reached Friday morning.

Please feel free to laugh at me or offer any other comments. WIsh I could afford the Vitesse kit and a Link 2 but I can't justify it I guess. My mechanic said I would be better off spending the difference on an o-ringed head and a wide fire head gasket (original head gasket at 103,000 miles). Would this be a good preventitive thing to do no matter what turbo I end up with?

If I am starting a flame war here, or am going to cause angst among any of the tuners who freely offer their advice, I apologize upfront - I don't know the flavor of this site and don't understand any of the unwritten rights and worngs. Email me privately if need be.

thanks again for all the help so far.

Mark Wollner
drwollner@comcast.net
mrwollner1@mmm.com
Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

I actually have been thinking about this upgrade for the summer on my car. I would like to hear what all the turbo guys have to say.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You will not see big HP with out dyno time. Example My first dyno outing with current configuration at 18 lbs. SFR stage 2 turbo and arc 2 Yielded 265 rwhp and 268 ft torque. After going to 3 different dynos. At 18 lbs. I ended up with 322 rwhp and 340 ft torque 93 octane pump gas on a dyno jet. Tuning is the key. Don't waste your money on a on board wide band 02. There not as accurate as these company's lead you to believe. My techedge version 1.5 with ntk o2 was way off.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Mark Wo
Intermediate

Thanks for the dyno note.

What do yo do at the dyno? I mean, I know what a dyno is for but how do you tune yo car on a dyno? Do you nake a run, look at the results and the turn some ***** on the arc!! and then make another run?

I guess I wasn't too clear on this post. It's not that I don't want to use a dyno, I just don't know what the process/proceedure is on a dyno.

Mark
Old 02-26-2004, 08:55 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jimbo1111
Don't waste your money on a on board wide band 02. There not as accurate as these company's lead you to believe. My techedge version 1.5 with ntk o2 was way off.
No ****? I thought that the latest 'affordable' WB units were accurate?? Was you tech edge reading too lean or rich
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Mine was registering rich when on boost. The dynos wb was one of the most accurate on the market. Used by nascar for tuning. Don't quote me on the brand but the owner said it was a $5,000 unit.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting finding. Where did you have the O2 sensor mounted? Before or after the turbo? How far from the turbo?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jimbo1111
Mine was registering rich when on boost. The dynos wb was one of the most accurate on the market. Used by nascar for tuning. Don't quote me on the brand but the owner said it was a $5,000 unit.
Most NASCAR and race teams use a Horiba unit.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: More educated turbo questions - kind of long

Originally posted by Mark Wo
would new chips add anything to the car? I don't know what the cost would be for this and do not know what to expect form the car when finsihed.
Given the constraints of budget and time your options are further reduced. Everyone here agrees the secret to power is tuning. The next best option is to get a speed "kit". Meaning a turbo suitable for your application along with custom chip which was optimized for your specific setup. Without a optimized chip for your speed equipment very little progress will happen. I don't recall your mention of the WG hope you took care of that issue. Massaging the head, recutting valve/seats & "o" ring can only enhance your mission. While you upgrade never lose sight of the basics
Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Posted by fast951: Interesting finding. Where did you have the O2 sensor mounted? Before or after the turbo? How far from the turbo?

Above the stock sensor.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:58 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Jimbo1111, Based on the information supplied by a Wideband kit manufacturer, he states that the sensor should be positioned after the turbo. However, the sensor I'm referring to is not the same one used in your kit.

Perhaps placing the sensor after the turbo (in the test pipe) might make a difference. At least something to ask the WB kit manufacturer.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:06 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

That right fast. It's already in the works. I will be faxing the dyno chart to Tim so he could post it . 10 consecutive runs with tuning in between runs yielded 72 extra ft torque. The engine was heat soaked . The operator tool me on a cool engine to expect 15 to 20 more hp and torque.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:10 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

I have my WB sensor mounted in the middle of the testpipe and I am very happy with the results.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I still wouldn't trust them unless there first verified with a second o2. Better safe then sorry. I will post my finds after I reposition it. But for some reason I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

Quick Reply: More educated turbo questions - kind of long