Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 torque plate? sleeving/honing Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 03:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 944 torque plate? sleeving/honing Q

Talking with some friends last night and mentioned I was dropping off my block at a local machine shop for a sleeve install. We started talking about torque plates and whether absolutely required for honing a 3L block? Obviously preferred but what if the local shop doesnt have one? I dont really want to buy one for $700, does anyone rent one or should I only send the block out to a place that does have one? I previously talked to Darton East @ PRI about sleeving it and they have done 944/968 blocks and have one.

Local shop has rave reviews and the guy who does all the sleeving does it all day everyday, didnt seem concerned at all and didnt mention needing one although he did state (by looking at one picture of the block) with the open deck block he would not use a flanged sleeve, not sure why as most seem to use that but stated he preferred to have it sit on a shelf/step at the bottom.

I have everything in hand I need to do the bottom end but this step seems like the most important part of the equation and is making me nervous
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

here's a thought...could be off totally here.

but the torque plate is to get the head studs tensioned which apparently can distort the shape of the bores slightly, and that's when you bore/hone it round.

could that same effect be achieved just by stacking washers or something and torqueing the nuts to spec?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
here's a thought...could be off totally here.

but the torque plate is to get the head studs tensioned which apparently can distort the shape of the bores slightly, and that's when you bore/hone it round.

could that same effect be achieved just by stacking washers or something and torqueing the nuts to spec?

Doesn't spread the load across the block equally
Old 10-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Talking with some friends last night and mentioned I was dropping off my block at a local machine shop for a sleeve install. We started talking about torque plates and whether absolutely required for honing a 3L block? Obviously preferred but what if the local shop doesnt have one? I dont really want to buy one for $700, does anyone rent one or should I only send the block out to a place that does have one? I previously talked to Darton East @ PRI about sleeving it and they have done 944/968 blocks and have one.

Local shop has rave reviews and the guy who does all the sleeving does it all day everyday, didnt seem concerned at all and didnt mention needing one although he did state (by looking at one picture of the block) with the open deck block he would not use a flanged sleeve, not sure why as most seem to use that but stated he preferred to have it sit on a shelf/step at the bottom.

I have everything in hand I need to do the bottom end but this step seems like the most important part of the equation and is making me nervous

For what it's worth, the factory manual shows a picture of the block being honed without a torque plate (but does say to torque the girdle in place before honing).

What studs do you plan to use and how much torque will you put on them? I know that Jason at Heritage uses a torque plate, but he also has his own over-sized studs that place a ton more clamp on the block compared to stock and/or raceware studs. At 65 ft lbs., I'd be less worried than at 150 ft lbs., but that's just my sense...

I'd say the most important thing is to find someone with a track record of successfully installing sleeves in these particular blocks. A stripped block is only about 65 pounds, so can be sent via regular UPS fairly easily anywhere in the US. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Tom - have ARP studs sitting here, not sure of torque spec.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I've sleeved lots of these blocks; both 2.5 and 3.0. I've also measured block distortion on an empty block and then with a head installed. The distortion is negligible due to the head studs attaching so deep in the block. So, unlike a block where the head bolts or studs screw into the deck surface, there's NO NEED for a torque plate on a 944.

I'll bet your shop doesn't want to use flanged sleeves because they cost much (much!) more than the $10.00 straight sleeves, and require additional machining for the flange. Flanged sleeves are also more dimensionally accurate. Take that FWIW. If your shop does lots of these, I wouldn't try to get him to do it any different from what he's familiar with.

MM

PS: Tom M'Guinn's first sentence in his last paragraph is surely sound advice. There's subtleties in the 944 sleeving process that are important for sleeving success. There's lots of horror stories out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelmount123:
Jay Wellwood (10-03-2019), SamGrant951 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
I've sleeved lots of these blocks; both 2.5 and 3.0. I've also measured block distortion on an empty block and then with a head installed. The distortion is negligible due to the head studs attaching so deep in the block. So, unlike a block where the head bolts or studs screw into the deck surface, there's NO NEED for a torque plate on a 944.

I'll bet your shop doesn't want to use flanged sleeves because they cost much (much!) more than the $10.00 straight sleeves, and require additional machining for the flange. Flanged sleeves are also more dimensionally accurate. Take that FWIW. If your shop does lots of these, I wouldn't try to get him to do it any different from what he's familiar with.

MM

PS: Tom M'Guinn's first sentence in his last paragraph is surely sound advice. There's subtleties in the 944 sleeving process that are important for sleeving success. There's lots of horror stories out there.
+1-- took a bare block I wanted to rebuild marked it... Measured it with reference to certain spots (each bore) Then put the head on, torqued it and Re-measured from underneath, (no crank in) ... The Difference was not anything at all.... So I was convinced... Did the bore/hone with no plate.. that was 3 years ago Still Running strong on the track...

If you think about where a chevy engine studs /bolts engage VS a 944 engine... we can all see that the 44 engine pulls from way father down and therefore there is little to no distortion. I was skeptical but I had to see for myself... No plate= no issue...
Old 10-03-2019, 07:39 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would 100% hone with a torque plate and girdle installed and torqued up using proper lube and staging. I have personally measured distortion in the bores when under clamp load.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

So Now I would suggest to take no ones word for it like I did since there are conflicting theory's now. Find out for yourself. Flip the engine over, measure the bores from the bottom, put the head on with a gasket, remeasure in the same locations and draw your own conclusions. I will add to my original statement that I had a MID sleeved block that I measured.
I called several 44 engine builders, and they all gave me the same answer- no plate. This is why I wanted to see of for myself, just because I found it hard to believe.
Also, I used the actual head to measure, WITH a head-gasket in place. When I measured I wanted everything bolted up as close to running condition as possible. I used Raceware studs and also I Torqued them to 95 Ft Lbs.. That was MY decision, (race-wares spec was like 65ftlbs) and so far no issues (3 years of track use). This also include the one time I had turned my boost controller all the way up and was running 25lbs of boost accidentally, I turned it back down to 15, but never hurt it.. Still Runs awesome.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have personally measured distortion in the bores when under clamp load.
Can you please share your measurements?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Can you please share your measurements?
The distortion measured .0005”-.0015” inside the bores of a Nikasil converted block using 625+ custom age inconel studs, billet .250” thick 316 precision washers, 16mm 12 point nuts sized M12x1.5 torqued to 120ft/lbs using CMD lube against the torque plate with steel inserts on top of a Cometic .065” 5 layer MLS on my 89 2.7 3L block with the crank and girdle installed with RW mainstuds, billet .250” thick 316 precision washers, and 14mm 12 point nuts sized M12x1.5 torqued to 75ft/lbs. Sam I would refer you to the Premier Group for high level discussion, it helps keep the background noise to a minimum.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:30 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The distortion measured .0005”-.0015” inside the bores of a Nikasil converted block using 625+ custom age inconel studs, billet .250” thick 316 precision washers, 16mm 12 point nuts sized M12x1.5 torqued to 120ft/lbs using CMD lube against the torque plate with steel inserts on my 89 2.7 3L block with the crank and girdle installed with RW mainstuds, billet .250” thick 316 precision washers, and 14mm 12 point nuts sized M12x1.5 torqued to 75ft/lbs. Sam I would refer you to the Premier Group for high level discussion, it helps keep the background noise to a minimum.
Thank you!
Old 10-04-2019, 11:46 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

i wonder if some of that measured distortion was from the studs being torqued to 120 ft/lb, versus the stock 66-70 or whatever it is?
Old 10-04-2019, 12:11 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Premier Group?

What is this????
Old 10-04-2019, 01:08 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Premier Group?

What is this????
Must be where all the cool kids hang out, and eat gourmet lunches and pizza, while we get to sit in the corner and eat PBJ...

Quick Reply: 944 torque plate? sleeving/honing Q