Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Simple Question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:04 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK another update. 12.55 at the battery and 12.44 at the fuel pump harness with wires disconnected. Is that "Good Enough??" And a side note, I pulled the Fan Relay out because as soon as I turn the key on the fans come on, is that normal???
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
OK another update. 12.55 at the battery and 12.44 at the fuel pump harness with wires disconnected. Is that "Good Enough??" And a side note, I pulled the Fan Relay out because as soon as I turn the key on the fans come on, is that normal???
Ok voltage is good! Fans um... not so much but no worries simple fix, its that fan switch located on the rad... cheap enough part... and we are all happy to help out so reaching out for advice is the name of the game here. And belive me i dont know it all.. im just a nut who has three of these machines and has been wrenching for 30 years...
Old 09-17-2019, 06:13 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Ok voltage is good! Fans um... not so much but no worries simple fix, its that fan switch located on the rad... cheap enough part... and we are all happy to help out so reaching out for advice is the name of the game here. And belive me i dont know it all.. im just a nut who has three of these machines and has been wrenching for 30 years...
Yes, I see the cars in your avatar!! Very impressive, I can't imagine having three of these "Prima Donna's

Is the one in your signature a Race Car???

And the fans yeah, I suspected that was not right (them turning on at key on) ... sigh the fan shroud was damaged when the car, fell off the jack stands! The switch could have been damaged?? The fans were scrapping when it ran afterwards, but I filed down the plastic shroud and the scrapping went away. But that is an issue for a later day.

So now back to the DME. That may or may not be the problem still ?? I have a spare DME, but just swapping it for the one that is in there ... is to easy?? I already confirmed, the fuel pump is good, but I"m still not sure that the DME is bad??? I think the spare is older then the DME that is in there now so I don't "know" if that one is good either???

What's my next step???
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Yup Thats my Racecar... The Full Build is on here start to finish ... Just search "a racecar is born" AFTER you get your car running of course.. So .. Yes, its that EZ Swap that DME You know now that you can SEE fuel Pressure... Put that DME in.. Crank the car for a sec, Go Look and see if you have FP.... EVERY time I have an issue with my streetcar not starting which has been 2x in 19 years Ive owned it (the 86) I reach into the glovebox and grab my spare dme... swap it out and Im on my way... I call Germanautoparts.com Order another one ... no worries.. I have R-eflowed solder joints on them and sanded the contacts and brought them back to life... Ill try and keep up with ya on this thread,,,But im in the middle of swapping out a V10 on a newly purchased Audi S8.. And I need to get it going casue its Gonna be my Daily and I also have to get ready for Watkins Glen Sun /mon/ tue....
Old 09-17-2019, 11:09 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Yup Thats my Racecar... The Full Build is on here start to finish ... Just search "a racecar is born" AFTER you get your car running of course.. So .. Yes, its that EZ Swap that DME You know now that you can SEE fuel Pressure... Put that DME in.. Crank the car for a sec, Go Look and see if you have FP.... EVERY time I have an issue with my streetcar not starting which has been 2x in 19 years Ive owned it (the 86) I reach into the glovebox and grab my spare dme... swap it out and Im on my way... I call Germanautoparts.com Order another one ... no worries.. I have R-eflowed solder joints on them and sanded the contacts and brought them back to life... Ill try and keep up with ya on this thread,,,But im in the middle of swapping out a V10 on a newly purchased Audi S8.. And I need to get it going casue its Gonna be my Daily and I also have to get ready for Watkins Glen Sun /mon/ tue....
LOL, sigh OK, I'll quit quite messing around as it were. Don't wanna abuse the help as it were.

I gotta put anti freeze back in it and use Engine Foger and uh reconnect the coil to Distributor Wire! I just noticed that today ... my bad. Most likely I'll give it a try
tomorrow?? I gotta get the 951 out of the of the garage. It's keeping me from working on other projects. Modded lowered 944 N/A, modded lowered 87 mini truck and moded and lowered 92 Tercel! IE the cop magnet?? That last one had me spending a lot of time in "Traffic Court!" Apparently SchumacherChops getting on the freeways is frowned upon by law enforcement ... who knew?? But hey 1.3 liter and 300 HP(the motor I'm gonna build) at 2200 lbs, it should be epic!

A V10 Audi swap you say, wow which I was around to help out! And good luck with the race this weekend! Let us know how it goes and thanks for pitching in.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:31 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Well sigh I still got a no tach bounce and a no start issue?? But hey making progress as I now have fuel Pressure!! So no more gasoline bath's swapping fuel pumps!

I also solved the fans coming on at key issue ... uh the A/C was on, my bad. But now I got a "No Spark" issue?? I swear it had "Spark" and no fuel and now I have fuel and no spark??? So now I need to jumper the KLR and see if it will start?? I could also pull the DME from my N/A 944 and try that. I was getting ready to do it couple days ago but when I went back I noticed a "whole nother harness with a connector in there???" The car had a "Huntley Maf on it." But the previous owner my friend removed it before I got it.

The car ran before the current issues, so mostly not relayed ... but it's like five feet of extra harness in the foot well! It's not like this is something new .. as it's been there the whole time. I just never noticed it before?? But no that I have I found it "annoying" so I sighed and walked away.

But as I say I jump the KLR and see if I have spark and proceed from there.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:58 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe get a tester from Amalagamated Tom? Also, I like the new DME that ftech9 builds. Solid state and no broken solder joints. Very nice workmanship.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:36 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mbean
Maybe get a tester from Amalagamated Tom? Also, I like the new DME that ftech9 builds. Solid state and no broken solder joints. Very nice workmanship.
Yeah most likely I will go that way (Amalagamated Tom)??? But yes that makes much more sense then my Plan B. Front Crank Trigger/New Engine Harness and a Standalone ... that should fix it!

Sigh ... I had spark and no fuel?? And now I have fuel and no spark??? I guess that's progress??? Oh well, ta least I'm testing new and different stuff! I won't buy anything until I jump the KLR, if I get no spark then ... well I guess I'll know something?? AT least solving the fans coming on was easy, so yeah don't leave the AC on, my bad.

Quick Reply: Simple Question??