New seals, new oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 10:54 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New seals, new oil?

I'm replacing the balance shaft seals (and assorted o-rings) in the front of my engine. Are those the seals that do the major leaking in these cars? I want to switch over to Mobil 1 or Motul synth, but I've been apprehensive b/c of the risk of leaks. Think it's safe to switch once the seals/o-rings are replaced?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:08 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be fine to make the oil switch, but dino got your car this far why take the chance?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is just a bit of "information" for you Michelle(and I do agree with David) but; if you want to change, and again this is just information, you might try 3qts dino and 3 qts blend mix. Bob Miller, past PCA president, has a VERY fast stock 944 turbo that he tracks - a lot. His car was using oil and leaking after switching to synthetic. Someone from Castrol at an event told him to do the above and within 500 miles the car quit using/leaking oil and I actually talked to him about it, not just hearsay. Castrol and castrol syntec IIRC and he still runs it to this day...FWIW.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:29 PM
mochman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dino to synth commonly leaks I have to pull the motor in my 86 and am doing a complete re-seal. rear main leaks like a sieve.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:30 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanx for the help guys.

Ski:
I know Castrol makes a synth/dino blend. I like that idea, but may just stick with my high mileage Valvoline. I change it regularly enough that it does the job. Thanx all!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:31 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to Mobil 1 about 2 years ago and definitely noticed more leaks. If your oil leak is in the front of the engine behind the rear belt cover it most likely is balance shaft seals. If there's a lot of oil on the lower engine it could be the oil pan gasket or if toward the back of the engine the O rings at the rear of the Balnce Shaft housing(s). I'm in the middle of replacing all of these. HTH

Quick Reply: New seals, new oil?