Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Installed Front Spring noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:08 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Installed Front Spring noises

I am wondering if anyone has experienced any kind of "springy ting" noises after installing new stiffer springs with coil over kits and Koni adjustable shocks. This noise happens when I turn the wheels sharply to the left or right and can be felt up through the steering wheel. I believe it's the springs not rotating smoothly. How can I fix?

thanks!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

You will need to instal torsional release bearings in the size of your spings
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/eiba...g-trb-1097852/
Im sure they sell these somewhere in the states
Regards
Sean
Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That looks like a nice "solution", but is this really a problem? Mine makes the same noises when turning the wheel at low speeds, but I don't notice it at all at track speeds.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
That looks like a nice "solution", but is this really a problem? Mine makes the same noises when turning the wheel at low speeds, but I don't notice it at all at track speeds.
+1, I’ve never seen/used or seen anyone else use those “bearings” and how would you even attach them anyway. Maybe they are for off-road set-ups where there is a high pre-load on the spring to hold them in place but for the street or track I can see them dislodging over bumps and causing an issue, even with zero-rate flat springs fitted.

The noises are normal and from the top and bottom flat area of the spring rubbing against the spring seats during slow turns, don’t worry about it.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:50 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

We use them on all our setups to reduce spring bind. For our setups we usually have tender springs above our main springs and the torsional release bearings sit between the tender and spring hat. Spring bind is annoying and I'm no fan of driving a car with unnecessary noise. The bearing actually does 3 things, stops the noise, consistent spring action during range and allowed for easier adjustment of ride height adjusters by reducing spring seat friction. You don't have to use them but i won't run a set of aftermarket shocks without them
Here you can see them above that tender and below the spring hat
Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JET951
We use them on all our setups to reduce spring bind. For our setups we usually have tender springs above our main springs and the torsional release bearings sit between the tender and spring hat. Spring bind is annoying and I'm no fan of driving a car with unnecessary noise. The bearing actually does 3 things, stops the noise, consistent spring action during range and allowed for easier adjustment of ride height adjusters by reducing spring seat friction. You don't have to use them but i won't run a set of aftermarket shocks without them
Here you can see them above that tender and below the spring hat
You’ve peaked my curiously. I guess you guys are running quite aggressive spring rates if you’re getting binding while on the track. The noises I get are just from turning at slow speeds and they go away completely above that. I’ve never given it a second thought, however I can see that it would help if that binding happens to you on the track.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

It's definitely not normal for what I'm feeling and hearing. Nobody at the track has this issue. It actually makes the steering out of alignment until the spring twists back into place. If my stock upper strut mounts are ok, what else could it be? My springs are only 275# . Thanks for the comments / suggestions !!!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:39 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jllewan
It's definitely not normal for what I'm feeling and hearing. Nobody at the track has this issue. It actually makes the steering out of alignment until the spring twists back into place. If my stock upper strut mounts are ok, what else could it be? My springs are only 275# . Thanks for the comments / suggestions !!!
Ok, so it could be a bunch of things:
What year is your car?
Are you sure you have the correct top mounts or are you using camber plates?
Is there any sort if shim or spacer between the top spring cup and the mount bearing?
Is the shim/spacer contacting just the inter bearing race?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

What year is your car? 1988
Are you sure you have the correct top mounts or are you using camber plates? Using the stock top mounts
Is there any sort if shim or spacer between the top spring cup and the mount bearing? TBD...
Is the shim/spacer contacting just the inter bearing race? TBD...

​​​​​​​I will need to find out about the last two questions. Thank you
Old 05-23-2019, 01:27 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jllewan
What year is your car? 1988
Are you sure you have the correct top mounts or are you using camber plates? Using the stock top mounts
Is there any sort if shim or spacer between the top spring cup and the mount bearing? TBD...
Is the shim/spacer contacting just the inter bearing race? TBD...

I will need to find out about the last two questions. Thank you
So if you have the strut top mounts on the right those are correct for your model year. There is s bearing in the bottom center on which your strut top spring hat contacts. Check to see it’s actually contacting on the inner race like it should either with or without a spacer. Unfortunately this is best done with the strut and mount off the car.

​​​​​​​
Old 05-23-2019, 02:31 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at your picture, I.m gonna guess your spring is not fully seated?? When you fully unload the suspension, your springs can move. If you don't get it back in it's proper position, it will do what your describing. Usually aftermarket springs are shorter than stock. So when the suspension is fully, unloaded the spring can move around. If you drive it like that ... gets gonna make a clunking sound as the spring tries to re-seat properly.

The best solution is to add a "helper spring." That would keep the spring from unseating, when you jack it up and remove the wheels." But yeah you gotta disassembly stuff in to get a helper spring in there.

https://www.hypercoils.com/helper-springs/

Plan B is a "Zero" dollars option. You need the wheels on it and you jack up it just enough to take the weight of the, springs. Then you reach around the wheel grab the spring (don't put your fingers between the coils! So fingers clear grab it with your palms and wiggle the crap out of it! Most likely you'll hear a clunk as it settles back to where it should be.But it's easy enough to check it this is your problem?? Jack it back up take the wheels off and if you can, move the spring around ... there you go.

When you put the wheels back on and set it down ... the spring had moved slightly. And you get a clunk as it moves around.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by schip43
Looking at your picture, I.m gonna guess your spring is not fully seated?? ....
Adjustable coilover spring seats are flat, they don’t “seat” or locate like the stock factory springs.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:29 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Adjustable coilover spring seats are flat, they don’t “seat” or locate like the stock factory springs.
Well huh, yeah they are "flat on the bottom???" And your not gonna get "flatter on the bottom then this. :
Old 05-23-2019, 03:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Originally Posted by schip43
Well huh, yeah they are "flat on the bottom???" And your not gonna get "flatter on the bottom then this. :
Ah I see what you mean by “seat”. I thought you were implying they positively locate like stock springs. However that’s not the op’s issue, he said the noise is only when he turns the wheel left or right and no helper spring will cure that. Something else is up.

I can understand if the issue was a “clunk” that something may be “unseated” but a “springy ting” is more likely contact between the seats, springs and/or bearing rather than something being dislodged,
Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Well a "clunk or a "springy ting" sound is kinda "subjective??"

I don't know what free length of his springs are?? But if my thumb were not holding my spring up, it would look just like his photo. My 944 N/A with the Welt mister Springs didn't "unseat" at the top but the 951 does. It's easy enough to check and yeah it's not the bottom ... it's the top. I had to wiggle it around a bit to get the top seated to snap that photo. But easy enough to check, in the posted position, just grab the top and see it if wiggles?? If it does not move "significantly at the top, then that eliminates the "obvious." If that is the case I'd look at the ball joints and the lower A Arm bushings. And both of those can be a particular PIA! So I hope it's not that. But don't overlook the "obvious" is all I'm saying.

Quick Reply: New Installed Front Spring noises