Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Installed Front Spring noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:36 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
You’ve peaked my curiously. I guess you guys are running quite aggressive spring rates if you’re getting binding while on the track. The noises I get are just from turning at slow speeds and they go away completely above that. I’ve never given it a second thought, however I can see that it would help if that binding happens to you on the track.
Hi Mike,
That pic above is a 600# spring. Not particularly heavy compared with our track setup 944's. Its always slow speed noise/ resistance as the aftermarket top spring hats don't turn on the top strut mounts as the factory spring hats do. This is also the case with aftermarket camber plates. We have quite a few paragon coil over setups like the OP (they are a fantastic entry level option for coilovers BTW and we recommend them for entry level motorsport) and even with stock like springs such as the hyper coil 200# it will still get resistance and that twang noise whilst slow speed turning. You can live with it and it won't do any damage but any unnecessary noise just won't do with us, considering it can be fixed pretty easily.
BTW guys if your springs just fall out of their perches then the torsion springs will not work for you and you will need helper or better yet tender springs. TBH no setup should have springs just just flop about when the car is lifted or at extension
Regards
Sean
Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
...BTW guys if your springs just fall out of their perches then the torsion springs will not work for you and you will need helper or better yet tender springs. TBH no setup should have springs just just flop about when the car is lifted or at extension
Regards
Sean

Thanks Sean, understood about fixing the noise even though it does no harm. I’m aware of the helper, below is my old set up with zero-rate helpers to prevent the springs moving when off loaded, they didn’t improve the noise but they stopped clunking on some bumps. I’ve now moved to MC’s like you, but the noise is still there on low speed turns.

i know the top hat doesn’t move but it should rest on the inner race of the top mount which does move. That’s why I suggested the op investigate that area.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Give the bearings a go Mike,
You can get them from Truechoice Koni Racing services in Ohio. I think they call them spring seat bearing and spring seat washer. Sold separately so for the front end you would need 2 bearings and 4 washers. Not sure if your using 2.25 or 2.5" ID springs
We always have them atop of the springs as the bottom is more in the elements and gets a lot more dirt and water down the bottom
Regards
Sean
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW guys if your springs just fall out of their perches then the torsion springs will not work for you and you will need helper or better yet tender springs. TBH no setup should have springs just just flop about when the car is lifted or at extension
Regards
Sean
Ah thanks for the heads up! It moving around like that struck me as kinda odd?? But no long after I got it ... mine was up on jack stands where it sets to this day. It has other "issues."

But I see more on helper springs here. :
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...elper-springs/

And those do pretty much what I thought ... take up the slack. But these look "better."
http://www.swiftsprings.com/products...elper-springs/

But back my directly on point. Yep worn-out upper strut mounts would also produce "odd' sounds. If they are original and have lots of miles it would be time to change them.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I could probably live with the spring noise when turning at low speeds but what isn't right is the steering will pull to either of the directions until the spring move back into the correct position. The Paragon set up and springs are seated correctly so I'm going to focus on the top area like MAGK944 mentioned "Is there any sort if shim or spacer between the top spring cup and the mount bearing?" The Paragon directions are so useless because they try to cover all of their kits onto one diagram sheet to save 2 cents
Old 05-28-2019, 05:59 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

We use them on all our setups to reduce spring bind. For our setups we usually have tender springs above our main springs and the torsional release bearings sit between the tender and spring hat. Spring bind is annoying and I'm no fan of driving a car with unnecessary noise. The bearing actually does 3 things, stops the noise, consistent spring action during range and allowed for easier adjustment of ride height adjusters by reducing spring seat friction. You don't have to use them but i won't run a set of aftermarket shocks without them
Here you can see them above that tender and below the spring hat
Question's, is the torsional release bearing ... this thing.:
https://eibach.com/us/i-1440-eibach-...e-bearing.html

And is one needed or can be used, for the top of each strut?? And what is the free length and spring rate of the springs your showing here??

Oops read again one at the top, got it!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

While every one is concentrating on the springs you may want to check the camber eccentric bolt to insure that it is functioning properly. The clunk could be the dampener moving.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:38 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rlm328
While every one is concentrating on the springs you may want to check the camber eccentric bolt to insure that it is functioning properly. The clunk could be the dampener moving.
That seems "weird" to me?? My 944's both have camber plates and my FWD's use the eccentric bolt's. I have only gotten "weird noises" on the 951 and it was the springs out of position..
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Good thought but it is the springs. Something is not allowing the spring assembly to rotate smoothly and I just need to find time to take them apart and look at the top mounting setup. Once that happens I will post the results and hopefully some pictures.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:43 AM
glen2002
Racer

Jllewan I used to have coil overs which sounded like someone was playing them as a musical instrument at low speed, amazing the amount of noise. Passengers would think something had broken.

Sean (jet951) installed Motons (assume with the bearings) and the difference is amazing, no noise at all. Huge improvement.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by glen2002
Jllewan I used to have coil overs which sounded like someone was playing them as a musical instrument at low speed, amazing the amount of noise. Passengers would think something had broken.

Sean (jet951) installed Motons (assume with the bearings) and the difference is amazing, no noise at all. Huge improvement.
Well yeah sure Moton's ought'a be "quite!"

But it should not take those to solve the OP's issues?? It's got to be something simple?? McPherson Struts, don't have that many parts.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:47 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
That seems "weird" to me?? My 944's both have camber plates and my FWD's use the eccentric bolt's. I have only gotten "weird noises" on the 951 and it was the springs out of position..
A lot of the after market dampeners do not really have a provision for an eccentric bolt, like the MCS dampner pictured in the above post
Old 06-01-2019, 03:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

A lot of the after market dampeners do not really have a provision for an eccentric bolt, like the MCS dampner pictured in the above post
I take your point my 944 N/A and my 951 both have camber plates and my FWD's I use camber bolts. So I assumed .. McPherson struts equal eccentric bolt???
Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
I take your point my 944 N/A and my 951 both have camber plates and my FWD's I use camber bolts. So I assumed .. McPherson struts equal eccentric bolt???
I had to shim my MCS dampners, so I use the camber plate to adjust.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:40 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I had to shim my MCS dampners, so I use the camber plate to adjust.
I don't understand "shim??" Do you mean helper springs???

Quick Reply: New Installed Front Spring noises