Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 porsche 944 turbo hexagon plug on oil filter housing leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 porsche 944 turbo hexagon plug on oil filter housing leak

So recently my 86 porsche 944 NA had an engine totaled by #2 rod bearing failure. I recently finished rebuilding a junkyard 86 block and installing it in my car. The reason I am posting this in the turbo thread section is because I did two modifications to the stock oil system; I installed a 86 turbo oil filter housing and external oil cooler as well as welded in a Lindsay racing oil pan baffle kit. Since this is a question about the turbo oil filter housing specifically I felt this was the right place.

I went to prime the oil system and it built great oil pressure, no leaks anywhere except one. At first i thought it was a bad oil filter, replaced it and leak at same area was still there. I had a friend crank the car while i watched the oil filter area. This is not a slow leak by the way, its a pretty steady stream. It's pretty clearly leaking from the hexagon headed plug thing next to the oil filter mount, and is oozing from the side closest to it. I couldn't find any information on what this is or any other people who have had a leak from this area, and when i got a ratcheting wrench on there it was really tight, would need a breaker bar to remove. So my few questions are: is there seal like a crush washer i need to replace or should i remove it, apply some thread sealer, and reinstall? what is this part called/what does it do? is it meant to be removable or is my entire housing bad?

Thank you all for your time, i've attached a photo of the housing on my car(top) and a clearer shot of the housing(bottom)

here's my filter housing on my car with a wrench in it.

here's a great view of the hex headed plug
Old 05-17-2019, 07:12 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 138 Posts

The cap covers the oil thermostat and is removable. Note the sequence and orientation of the components should you remove them for any reason. Yes, there should be an aluminum crush seal under the cap. Get the right one; sometimes they're a bit hard to find. Removal of the cap is easiest with an impact gun, but a long breaker bar will do it.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 PM
nocomment
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
The cap covers the oil thermostat and is removable. Note the sequence and orientation of the components should you remove them for any reason. Yes, there should be an aluminum crush seal under the cap. Get the right one; sometimes they're a bit hard to find. Removal of the cap is easiest with an impact gun, but a long breaker bar will do it.

Ok great thank you got letting me know what to search for,I was able to find both a replacement thermostat as well as just the aluminum seal ring. I’ll probably just get the seal ring for now and wait till I have it apart to see if it needs replaced. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1986 porsche 944 turbo hexagon plug on oil filter housing leak