Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know where the oil level is?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:31 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<<<It should always be below the oil level.>>>
In an open, vacuum-less system there is no need for the return line to be below the oil level... Am I missing something?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:39 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz
<<<It should always be below the oil level.>>>
In an open, vacuum-less system there is no need for the return line to be below the oil level... Am I missing something?
With the drain below oil level, the oil will blow into the catch can thur the oil/air seperator and will be a constant drain into the oil pan.

With the drain above the oil level then oil will blow into the catch can thru both lines and only be a part time drain.

IMHO
Old 02-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David's got it right, this "drain" in the past couple posts here is when the condensed oil from the catch can is plumbed back into the oil pan. IF it is NOT then the open pepcock/valve can be placed at any height, however the hose running to the catch can should always be running "down" from the factory air/oil sep. AND there should be no dips in the hose (oil can gather there and block the traveling air/oil vapor), so using the right amount as far as length is concerned is important.

Hope this helps, take care everyone!
BTW I am in the market for a catch can as well, so I will have to see how many are left when cpt_koolbeenz gets back.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

<<<With the drain below oil level, the oil will blow into the catch can thur the oil/air separator and will be a constant drain into the oil pan.

With the drain above the oil level then oil will blow into the catch can thru both lines and only be a part time drain.>>>

I understand what both of you (Tony and David) are saying... The only reason I mentioned the return can go above oil level in an OPEN system is because I have witnessed it first hand. After thinking about it for a while, I don't think the latter condition will happen - the air will take the path of least resistance (out the 3/8 line in this case). When the return line has a bit of oil in it, the air will escape out the larger line even more.

However, I don't think you would even need to return the oil above the oil level anyway in our cars... But if you needed to, I don't think you would have a problem with it (based off first hand experience).

Having said that, if I do run a return line, mine will run under the oil level...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:28 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Charlie-
I will have enough for atleast 10 more people so far (possibly more)...
PM me or email me and tell me which type you would like.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:35 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must have the drain below the oil level line no mater the configuration (obviously assuming that you are draining back to the oil pan) or you will have crank case pressure, equal to the amount of boost being run, blowing up the drain, into the catch can.

And the possibility exists, and is very probable, that oil will be blown back up into the catch can as well since the engine oil is always moving around (acceleration, braking, cornering).

This would be a big problem.

Also, the line from the factory seperator does NOT have to be running down to the aftermarket catch can. There is zero benefit to doing this. However, if the line runs up to the aftermarket catch can, less oil will be collected in the aftermarket catch can (good because the oil that has collected on the walls of the line will run back to the factory seperator (which it should).

Porsche had a very good reasion for having the turbo oil drain plumbed into the lowest possible position in the oil pan. This was not an accident.

Follow the same logic.

TonyG
Old 02-15-2004, 03:42 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>In an open, vacuum-less system there is no need for the return line to be below the oil level... Am I missing something?<<<

There is no "vacuum-less system" here. However, there is a system that has a lot of positive pressure (the crank case). The term vacuum-less is very much misleading and not the correct term. It's a positive pressure situation when on boost, and a vacuum situation when off boost.

You set the drain above the oil level, and you will have all of the crank case pressure blowing up the drain, into the catch can. It should be obvious that crank case pressure will find the path of least resistance.... and a drain pipe going up into a catch can offers very little (if any) resistance.

TonyG
Old 02-15-2004, 03:51 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

<<<There is no "vacuum-less system" here. However, there is a system that has a lot of positive pressure (the crank case). The term vacuum-less is very much misleading and not the correct term. It's a positive pressure situation when on boost, and a vacuum situation when off boost.>>>

How is it a vacuum situation when off boost? It is OPEN (hence the filter) to the atmosphere! If anything it still should be positive pressure since there is always blowby...
Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

well ill be interested.how much does it cost plus shipping to hawaii.also im still running the stock afm,i want to mount it where my passenger headlight used to be(im running a vented panel without headllights).thanx
Old 02-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

cpt_koolbeenz>> I sent you a PM the other day. Just let me know your Paypal address I'll send you the money for one!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:29 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Clear lights in the pic very cool Duke
Old 02-18-2004, 03:11 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Everyone that has payed already, your catch can is in the mail...

There are still plenty left if anyone else needs one.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:18 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Anyone tried to make a slight glass in their can? Or suggest how to??? That would be cool
Old 02-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by NZ951
Clear lights in the pic very cool Duke
Thanks, they do the world of a difference!

Quick Reply: New Aluminum Catch Can