Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help please, I think I did something bad! (DME Wiring)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 04:23 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please, I think I did something bad! (DME Wiring) UPDATE

So I was installing my GURU MAP kit today and got through it all. I left off the A/F sensor wiring becuase I wanted to see if it would work first, so I started her up and she idled very bad but atleast it ran (with the previous owner's settings in the handheld). Then I went back to the stock settings and it ran, but worse idle.

So I wanted to tap into the O2 sensor wiring so I can see what my A/F ratio was and people said it was an insulated wire.

I saw 2 grey thick wires going to the DME so I guess it was one of them. I picked one to strip off the insulated wire to see what kind of wire was underneath. Well I accidently crimped too hard and cut through most of the wire and I think there is a very very skinny plastic tube and a wire inside the insulation which I cut through. I guess I picked the wrong one.

Well I try to put it back together but now the car doesn't start. The car cranks but it won't start. What wire did I cut and how bad is it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by p0wp0w; 02-15-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Open up the DME connector plug and figure out the PIN #. This will tell you which pin you cut... The shop manual has the DME pin layout. If you don't have it, I'll post it for you.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:33 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

How do I open up the connector plug? I can take off the thing that connects the whole DME to the harness so I can remove the DME but it doesn't show which wire goes to which pin...Thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 04:41 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The 35-pin plug has a screw at the end of it. Remove the screw. Also, there is a rubber shield (where the wiring exists the plug) slide it away from the plug. The plug is made of 2 parts, you should be able to slide them. Be careful as not to pull the pins out of the plug.
The plug (on the inside) will have the pin#..
Old 02-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Matt, check out the ARM-1 installation procedure on my 951 RacerX website. It'll show you how to get to the proper wire for the O2-sensor. I wouldn't worry too much about the air-temp sensor unless you're in cold climates. Does it ever snow in TX?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:30 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

Well I pulled off the cover trying to look for where the wire goes to and I could not find it. The ones that go into the pins in the DME connector are skinny. The one I cut through (80% cut through) is thick and grey and inside seemed to have a skinny plastic tube and some copper wire.

Here are a couple quick pics of the wire from the outside. It is the one with electrical tape wrapped around it.

This may or may not be a cause to the cranking but no start. My car sometimes didn't start (before I put the MAP kit on) but after a few minutes the car would start and run fine. So I suspected a bad DME relay. Maybe if I jump the car it would help? I have no clue what is in that thick wire, but it looked alot like plastic hollow tubing and wire. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:53 PM
ian kam
Racer

matt were you doing all the work with the main battery diconected? If not recheck all your conections and fuses maybe blew one if battery was connected during install. I cant remember which wire exactly is your 02 sensor but follow instuctions to take of top cap by removing small screw at rounded end of main dme wire harness. sLide it off and look at the numbers to find out wires are for what with ref to wire manual.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:55 PM
ian kam
Racer

not 100% by memory I thought the wire u wanted was the thick green one (insulated main wire underneth insulate) But please check numbers on dme wire unit and manual...my memory is short ..
Old 02-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Danno
Race Director

Those thick wires are the coax cables for the speed & reference sensors. Don't know why one of them would be taped over like someone tapped into them. Also make sure your TPS wire goes to the KLR harness, not the DME. When cranking/starting, set the TuningModule to display RPM to verify that you've got the wire crimped on firmly.

"My car sometimes didn't start (before I put the MAP kit on) but after a few minutes the car would start and run fine. "

That's bizzare??? Does it ever start for a couple of seconds then die?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:05 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

danno - it is because HE tried to tap into it. seeing as the car won't have ignition w/o it, that's probably why it won't start now
Old 02-13-2004, 02:34 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

ian: I disconnected the (-) terminal before starting any work on the car so I don't think I blew a fuse. And thanks, I think I can find the 02 wire now...

Danno: yeah I was the one that accidently cut into those wires...now the question is, how bad is it to cut into those wires? Do I need to replace the whole harness now? It doesn't seem easy to remend my mistake because of the plastic tube inside...can I just stick a big wire-butt connector and a small connector on the plastic tube or is it much more complicated than that...

And I'm pretty sure I got the TPS wire spliced good because when I started it up the first times I saw the RPM's jumping all over the place on the tuning module as well as the tach. Probably a vacuum leak somewhere.

That's bizzare??? Does it ever start for a couple of seconds then die?
Nope, it just cranks but never starts. Then wait a few minutes and it starts up fine. From what I read, these are symptoms of a dying DME relay...
Old 02-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Danno
Race Director

Dave, I'm going blind!!! Must've mis-read the 1st post:

"I saw 2 grey thick wires going to the DME so I guess it was one of them. I picked one to strip off the insulated wire to see what kind of wire was underneath. Well I accidently crimped too hard and cut through most of the wire and I think there is a very very skinny plastic tube and a wire inside the insulation which I cut through. I guess I picked the wrong one. "

Hmm, I'm not sure how to re-splice and fix a coax cable after you've crimped through it. I guess if the innermost wire hasn't been completely severed, you can pick out all the surrounding grounding braid and wrap up the inside wire. Then wrap up the outside after that. But the tough part is making sure that none of the outside ground is shorting out the inner signal wire. Just a single strand smaller than a human hair will mess up your signal. Having magnifying glasses would help. It's kinda like working on one of these:

Most likely you're OK though. If the car starts up at all, then the speed & ref sensors are fine. Definitely sounds like a DME relay...
Old 02-13-2004, 03:13 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

oh. if your crank position or speed ref. sensor(s) were not getting a signal through, you'd have NO spark (perhaps test this when you are cranking it and it doesn't start?). how exactly did you go about repairing those wires btw?

oh - and if you DO need a new harness, or at least, those wires out of it... I was just planning on scrapping my DME/KLR harness, since I've cut off the MAF wires (for a digtal maf, but that's been removed) and the injector harness is a bit of a mess because I put in dif. injectors w/ electromotive's style of clip, cuz my wires were shorted, so i cut them and ran new ones, but i kept the clips w/ my new injectors).... so anyway if you do have to do this i'll gladly ship you my harness for like $5 + the cost of shipping so you can mix-and-match whatever (intact) wires you need.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:05 AM
p0wp0w
Pro

Alright I will try to put it back together...but I still don't really see how to fix the plastic tubing...might just have to take it to the shop..

dmoffitt: yeah it does not spark, cranks but no start. Thanks alot! this would help a lot, can you PM me payment details etc...my zip code is 77479. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 AM
ian kam
Racer

does the wire look like a coax cable like you have in your walls for your tv or no? If its close to the same a repair might be easy

Quick Reply: Help please, I think I did something bad! (DME Wiring)