Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can the 1-4 exhaust manifold be removed by itself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:49 AM
gwistrup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the 1-4 exhaust manifold be removed by itself?

I have a 1986 951 that has an exhaust leak due to a crack at the number four cylinder flange. Can I remove the 1-4 manifold without removing the 2-3 manifold? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:55 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gwistrup
I have a 1986 951 that has an exhaust leak due to a crack at the number four cylinder flange. Can I remove the 1-4 manifold without removing the 2-3 manifold? Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't recommend it even if you can. Cracks in the 2-3 piece are pretty common, so it's really worth removing both and testing them.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

It’s a whole lot easier to pull the whole thing, and as John stated, if 1-4 is cracking, 2-3 is probably not far behind.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can remove the header that goes to cylinders 1 and 4. They are on the outside and are usually able to come out. I use exhaust bolts for my headers. I don't have the Porsche studs sticking out from the head. If you can remove the studs, you really should because it will give you a lot more room to try to wiggle the header out. I just did a head gasket job a few months ago. You really should take off the cam housing to make room. Use a permanent magic marker and put lines on the timing belt and the pulley because you just have to slide the timing belt off of the pulley and take off the cam housing. It's just about impossible to remove the headers with the cam housing still on. There is not enough room to figure out an angle of how you are going to slide it out. I took off the oil filter (cover the area with a new clean rag) and the power steering reservoir ( just loosen the bracket and tie it out of the way).. If your studs don't come out it will be much harder to remove the header because they totally cut down on your limited amount of wiggle room. Also, (Shameless plug) I sell Rennbay exhaust nut and bolt kits and Saturn exhaust studs with nuts and washers, that use a star type end so they can be unscrewed easily. The aftermarket manifold bolts use an Allen wrench and they strip very easily. The Rennbay bolt kit replaces every nut, bolt and washer in the entire exhaust system with the nice original looking plated finish. You will probably have to loosen the nuts holding the headers for the middle cylinders at the head and at the X-over pipe. It will give you more room. If you have any questions just send me a message or call or text me, 732- 814-6623. What you are doing is a total pain in the ***. You should probably take off the front right tire too. Get as much as you can out of the way. Thanks, Kevin
Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 PM
gwistrup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1-4 cylinder head pipe

Thanks for the information. I figured I would give it a shot. At least now I know I won’t be completely wasting my time. The previous owner paid a shop to remove the head to replace the exhaust studs. It doesn’t look like they replaced all of them. I will probably end up doing all of them to make it right.

Quick Reply: Can the 1-4 exhaust manifold be removed by itself?