Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lag

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:59 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car rolls fine in neutral. On flat ground and releasing the clutch, the car doesn’t move. I have to give it gas. Each gear seems to have this delay before the car kicks in and moves. Car goes into gear fine but revs to the 2-3000rpm range and when it moves it feels like when the turbo would kick in and not a natural pull out.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:04 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/what-does-it-re...-jo-1724485572
Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

Ok, so let me ask the question. Would anyone invest the $ to do a timing belt/water pump and front seals and a clutch? I don’t have the means or skill to diy.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:13 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Trilogy8
Ok, so let me ask the question. Would anyone invest the $ to do a timing belt/water pump and front seals and a clutch? I don’t have the means or skill to diy.
I’m sure most everyone here has been through those tasks at least once, however the means to DIY is an almost essential requirement on these cars unless money is no object and taking into account that labor and time are usually the most expensive cost of any job. If you really don’t have the means you should seriously think about getting out of 951 ownership, trust me when I say that those jobs are just the beginning.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

there are a bunch of things I had planned to handle on my own. Those 2 items were probably the ones I’d least plan to do and they have come at the same time, unfortunately. Well, the timing belt doesn’t ‘have’ to be done, but it’s in the time frame of ‘should’ be done. That was a scheduled event for tomorrow. This has now taken precedence because it’s directly impacting the functionality of the car.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:35 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The car rolls fine in neutral. On flat ground and releasing the clutch, the car doesn’t move. I have to give it gas. Each gear seems to have this delay before the car kicks in and moves. Car goes into gear fine but revs to the 2-3000rpm range and when it moves it feels like when the turbo would kick in and not a natural pull out.
So if I understand correctly, on level ground you can put it into gear, release the clutch all the way, and the car doesn't move? Between this and your comment on the lag being present in each gear when moving, it does indeed sound like the clutch...
Old 04-07-2019, 06:46 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

Yes- flat ground and just releasing the clutch leads to no movement.

The question is is I just had the master and slave cylinders replaced. Should this be brought back to this place? Meaning does that work have anything to do with what just happened with this?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If this started immediately after the master/slave cylinders were replaced, there's a small chance the clutch hydraulics aren't releasing completely. You might get under the car and look at where the slave cylinder mates with the clutch fork.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Yes- flat ground and just releasing the clutch leads to no movement.

The question is is I just had the master and slave cylinders replaced. Should this be brought back to this place? Meaning does that work have anything to do with what just happened with this?
The master and slave cylinders are completely different jobs to the clutch disk, so no it’s not related. What possibly happened is repairing the hydraulics highlighted the already worn clutch.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:06 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

Not being a 2 year old, but I’m beside myself. I was planning to do the whole timing belt work and calling it a year. Would have tackled other stuff next year etc.. wasn’t planning on 2 bombs at the same time. Maybe I’ll reconsider the timing belt/water pump as a diy. Not confident but it could save quite a bit of $. The clutch looks way more involved.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

...perhaps there's an air bubble or faulty seal in the clutch cylinders, preventing the pressure plate from clamping the clutch disk fully, so it's slipping and only putting "partial torque" to the driveline...not enough to move the car until 2500 rpm when there's a lot more torque being produced even at light throttle.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Not being a 2 year old, but I’m beside myself. I was planning to do the whole timing belt work and calling it a year. Would have tackled other stuff next year etc.. wasn’t planning on 2 bombs at the same time. Maybe I’ll reconsider the timing belt/water pump as a diy. Not confident but it could save quite a bit of $. The clutch looks way more involved.
There are bound to be a lot of things that need attention on a 30+ yo car and fixing one thing sometimes leads to finding another problem. I remember doing the clutch on my first 944 then my torque tube bearings seems louder so I did those six months later followed by motor mounts and oil pan gasket. Within the year I had also covered the cam tower gasket, oil coolant housing gasket, coolant tank, vacuum lines, all four dampers and most of the suspension bushes. Plus the oil/filter and belt service were a given. I’d never done any of those jobs previously but I picked it up easily enough.

If you are serious about keeping the car and even slightly mechanically able, the folk on here will guide you through most any diy on these cars
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

I was taking it in tmrw for the timing belt to a different place sobtryi g to figure out what to do since the cylinder work was elsewhere. If the cylinder work is potentially related to this issue should intable the timing belt appt and bring it back to the other place, with the hope it is something aforementioned like air bubbles that’s a quick fix w/o much of a cost? This guy did mention if I noticed the pedal sticking or being off to bring it back and he may have to bleed the system again.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:22 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

Northeast- ny

Quick Reply: Lag