Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best electronic boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 08:27 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best electronic boost controller?

Can anyone provide any data on the best EBC for the 951? I did a search but didn't find a conclusive answer. Does anyone have a EBC on your 951 and what is your opinion? Currently I have a Lindsey MBC, but it doesn't bring on the boost where I'd like it to be.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

This doesn't necessarily answer your question but an EBC may not deliver the results you're looking for. Where do you want the boost to come on?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:11 PM
WolleMS
Instructor

If i had the money i would buy a Profec B Spec II. Much simpler than a Apexi a.e. and i heard some good things about it...

Regards,
Wolfgang
Old 02-07-2004, 09:22 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Jim I don't think I've ever seen such a low mileage 951 before... that thing is a baby!! Interior looks like a year old car, not a 15 year old car!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I don't think there is a conclusive answer. It's kind of like asking what the best color is. I am a big fan of my Profec B (original version), but it is less programmable than the fancier controllers (most of which I find too complicated to be worth the extra effort). I could never get the Apexi to hold steady boost, and I could never figure out how to get it to "learn" my boost curve in 4th and 5th without going way too fast on the street.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:08 PM
lejams
Pro

ninefiveone, the car is capable of reaching full boost in the low 3k rpm range and it's currently hitting at approx. 4k. Part of what I'm trying to figure out is whether the right EBC will provide the result I want or whether I'd be wasting money. I have always heard that with more control over the wastegate via EBC, this can be accomplished, although some reports somewhat conflict with this.

I've heard the Profec B Spec II had some spiking so it's one of the reasons I'm polling the issue. Well that's two opinions on the apexi, it doesn't sound too promising.

Tom M'Guinn, re: Profec B (original version), I have heard things like you stated before. How much of a difference did it make in regards to bringing the boost on earlier?

Has anyone had any experience with the Greddy. I read where someone liked it. What about the HKS?

FSAEracer03, thanks for the compliment. I purchased the car a few years ago with about 19k miles and I've tried to take good care of it.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sport Compact Car's test placed the Blitz SBC-iD as the fastest. It's what I run.

Sam
Old 02-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Found it:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._boostcontrol/

Sam
Old 02-07-2004, 11:15 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Lejams,
Make sure your wastgate is up to the job. I went the route of an Apexi and my wastegate couldn't keep up. The Apexi is a complex device that allows you to set the boost in each gear sepearatly. So for instance, if at 20 psi in first the tires go up in smoke you can back it down to 12psi till you get rolling.
The injector duty cycle doesn't work for our cars on the APEXI. And it reads 14.2 vs 14.8 or whatever it is. So it's a bit off. Lastly it doesn't read the speedo properly. It's mostly designed for Japanese cars. Some of this might have changed in later models.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:24 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally posted by Sam Lin
Found it:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te..._boostcontrol/

Sam
Sam, this looks like a good read, Thanks! Tommorrow, I'll read it thoroughly. The Blitz is the other controller I was interested in learning about. I like the part where it learns the car each consceutive run. When you installed the Blitz, was there a significant improvement in boost response?

DanD, Good point on the wastegate. I have a Lindsey dual port, but I'm wondering whether there is some boost creep going on? Can this happen with a dual port? I have about 25k on it.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The Profec B made a dramatic difference in boost onset. The Profec has a "balance" switch that let's you roll on boost like stock if you want, or it let's you have boost come on almost like an on/off switch. The Profec B will highlight the weakness of you wastegate, however. I went to a deltagate as a result. I've tried other controllers, including the APexi, and plan to stick with the Profec B.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:08 AM
lejams
Pro

Tom, thanks for the detail on the Greddy. Have you experienced any spikes?
Old 02-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

If you turn the balance up all the way, the boost can bounce around a bit. The trick is to back the balance off a little bit, so that boost just shoots up to the pre-set level and stays there to redline. Once it is properly set, the Profec is rock solid.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:26 AM
lejams
Pro

It sounds great! Do you think it's feasible to take a car currently achieving 15psi, (full boost setting) @ about 4 grand and cut it to 3200-3400rpms assuming balance adjusted properly to avoid spikes?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:14 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lejams
It sounds great! Do you think it's feasible to take a car currently achieving 15psi, (full boost setting) @ about 4 grand and cut it to 3200-3400rpms assuming balance adjusted properly to avoid spikes?
I know the APEXi can do it and I have the dyno sheet to back that up! With the dyno run the boost controller had just ben setup witth my stocck shimmed waste gate so if the boost still moved around like it shows on the sheet it is not noticeable as I could not feel that fluctuation with the car before the dyno run.

Quick Reply: Best electronic boost controller?