Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Will these wheels fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Amirthe1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these wheels fit?

Hello everybody, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am in the middle of a mild refresh on a 1986 951 and have been searching for wheels for quite some time. I came across some Fikse FM10's on ebay that came off an e36 M3. My question is do you think these wheels will fit. Wheel specs are as follows:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Fikse-FM...0/132904744790
Fikse FM10
Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Front: 17x8 et32
Rear: 17x9 et44

I was planning on using these wheel adapters: https://www.ebay.com/i/163456174831?chn=ps
Vehicle Bolt Pattern = 5x130
Wheel Bolt Pattern = 5x120
Adapter Center Bore = 71.5mm
Adapter Lug Seat = Conical
Adapter Studs = 12x1.5
Thickness = 19mm

Let me know what you guys think! Thank you in advance!!

Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 PM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they will fit with those adapters but the offsets are quite high for an '86 951. I would go for a 1.25 or 1.5 inch thick adapters in the rear.

You can use www.willtheyfit.com to get an impression of how these wheels with different adapter thicknesses will fit compared to your current wheels. Remember to subtract the thickness of the adapter from the offsets, eg: 17x9 et 44 with 1.25" adapter is equivalent to 17 x9 et 18.5 with no adapter/spacer.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:18 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Anything can fit, the real question is it a good idea.

No. You're better off getting a new set, built to spec. If you still want used and put them into performance use, I recommend having them Zyglo tested for cracks.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-29-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Amirthe1
5th Gear

I know that it is best to use a built to spec wheel instead of a spacer or adapter as it wouldn't stress the wheel bearing and suspension parts as much. However, that is just to expensive for me. My main concern with these was the fitment up front. According to the calculator this wheel will stick out ~1" more than the stock ones, and I was worried this will rub. I guess I will take some measurements when I get some time with the car this weekend
Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With those offsets you will need to roll the fenders ,adjust the camber and run stiffer suspension than stock .
If you are patient you will find the same wheels in porsche fitment ,they are not that rare .
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM
Amirthe1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by catamax944
With those offsets you will need to roll the fenders ,adjust the camber and run stiffer suspension than stock .
If you are patient you will find the same wheels in porsche fitment ,they are not that rare .

Good advice. I will probably end up doing that. Thank You all!
Old 01-31-2019, 05:00 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Get rims that will not take you long to clean. I have d90, phone dials and Turbos. They are all easy to clean after days of driving.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:38 PM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by Amirthe1
I know that it is best to use a built to spec wheel instead of a spacer or adapter as it wouldn't stress the wheel bearing and suspension parts as much. However, that is just to expensive for me. My main concern with these was the fitment up front. According to the calculator this wheel will stick out ~1" more than the stock ones, and I was worried this will rub. I guess I will take some measurements when I get some time with the car this weekend
There is literally no difference to the hub whether you have a built to spec wheel with a low offset, or a high offset wheel with spacers. The leverage and forces on the hub are exactly the same. The simple fact of having a spacer means nothing, infact many Porsches came from the factory with spacers.

The front wheels will fit with a touch of camber. For reference, I am running 18x9.5 ET17 on the front with -3.25 degrees of camber, and they fit flush. Your front wheels, with the 19mm adapters, will sit 15mm further in than mine do.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:07 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 944crazy
There is literally no difference to the hub whether you have a built to spec wheel with a low offset, or a high offset wheel with spacers. The leverage and forces on the hub are exactly the same. The simple fact of having a spacer means nothing, infact many Porsches came from the factory with spacers....
This is true up to a point but also a bit misleading. The op isn’t planning to use a simple spacer but an adapter that also spaces the wheel. When Porsche, or other manufacturers for that matter, use spacers they always use simple solid metal spacers with longer studs and you are correct in saying that the leverage and forces are nominally the same as a spec wheel offering the same spacing. However, when you use an adapter to space wheels these are always much heavier than a simple spacer and there are other issues, extra unsprung weight for a start, an extra set of nuts to deal with, plus difficulty using a spare when required. The extra weight without a doubt excerts more force on the hub than a simple spacer or correct spec wheel and it also has a direct effect on handling.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 PM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by MAGK944

This is true up to a point but also a bit misleading. The op isn’t planning to use a simple spacer but an adapter that also spaces the wheel. When Porsche, or other manufacturers for that matter, use spacers they always use simple solid metal spacers with longer studs and you are correct in saying that the leverage and forces are nominally the same as a spec wheel offering the same spacing. However, when you use an adapter to space wheels these are always much heavier than a simple spacer and there are other issues, extra unsprung weight for a start, an extra set of nuts to deal with, plus difficulty using a spare when required. The extra weight without a doubt excerts more force on the hub than a simple spacer or correct spec wheel and it also has a direct effect on handling.
The weight difference between a bolt on spacer/adapter and a slip on spacer of the same thickness might be 50 to 100 grams at the most, that little bit of extra weight right at the hub where it has the least amount of leverage is minuscule in comparison to different wheels, tyres or brake discs that can differ in weight by several kilograms and have a much larger moment of inertia.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:48 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 944crazy
The weight difference between a bolt on spacer/adapter and a slip on spacer of the same thickness might be 50 to 100 grams at the most, that little bit of extra weight right at the hub where it has the least amount of leverage is minuscule in comparison to different wheels, tyres or brake discs that can differ in weight by several kilograms and have a much larger moment of inertia.
Yes but it’s still 100% unspring and you still have to deal with the other issues I bought up. I’m just not a fan of those adapters, the hassle of checking 40 wheel nuts (that’s 20 extra things that can go wrong), the spare wheel issue and that’s probably why no manufacturer sells, uses or recommends them. Regardless though I know a lot of folk use them without issue so I suppose they have been thoroughly tested

Quick Reply: Will these wheels fit?