Suspension Bilstein??????+ motor rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:08 PM
ftanguay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Suspension Bilstein??????+ motor rebuild

Hi,

I need many info as possible for my new suspension. I decide to go to Bilstein all aroud, but I try to search all forum and all shop for parts number and I found just the shock: AK-1110, AK1111, AK35432. I need some people with this type of suspension that can give me some feedback, part number, spring rate, spring brand, coilover or not, sway bar, valving.... and all other parts that I'm sure I forgot. The car will be driven on street and few time on track. 90/10

Second question: I need to do my head gasket. But I plan to do a full head rebuild in the same time (180K KM), as well as the turbo. Did anyone have try the Cosmetic gasket? is it worth the price? sould I do the piston rings and rod bearing while I there??? The engine work well before the head gasket incident, but the previous owner was good for the mental institution... so Is there anything else some of you could think about?, it would be VERY appreciate.

Tanks alot!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ftanguay. The Bilstein suspension your referring to is what I have on my car. It's a non threaded front strut (380/150) and the rear is a non coil over Bilstein (400/200). This Bilstein racing series shocks,are reasonable on our crappy pot hole infested roads. You should be able to enjoy your ride, if you have 250lbs springs up front with 968 M030 hollow sway bars all around.

The next step up, is the full "cup" coil over series. Up front (AK1120-AK 1121) you have the threaded body(COIL OVER) Bilstein strut (600/180) and in the back(AK37354) you have coil overs (565/218)valving.

This last set up will be much stiffer, and on our roads, you will often need a dentist appointment , to get your fillings checked. So you better brush your teeth!!!

As for the engine job, it all depends on how many KM you have and what condition the motor is in, once you open it up. Is it pumping oil? Are you mixing prestone and oil? How does the engine perform?

Just changing the head gasket is not to bad, but if you need to change the rings, you may as well do the rod bearings an anything else ,while your there.

As for what head gasket to use, take a look at recent threads. You should find plenty of opinions, to take an informed decision.

If you need any Bilsteins or anything else, send me an e-mail . I'm within an hour's drive.

Quick Reply: Suspension Bilstein??????+ motor rebuild