Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel Dampener leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:09 PM
Highlander944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Dampener leaking.

Hey guys... at the risk of being publicly bashed.. I must ask this question.

Ok, I installed a 3.0 FPR 3 weeks ago. While installing it, I pulled on the fuel lines enough to brake that tie strap. Now I'm not sure if the extra pressure or the little line wiggle did it, but my fuel dampener began to leak. Heck it could have been leaking all along for all I know.. I never checked it before. In any event it is leaking.

I turned the nut which attaches the line to the FPR about 1/8 turn more.. it stopped.. or so I thought. During this process I found my spark plug wires arcing. In order to install the new wires, I removed the dampener to make life easier which it did.

My problem now is that I can not get the fuel dampener to stop leaking. I have tried taking some 400 paper and sanding the fuel line and dampener opening. I have tried REALLY torque-ing the nut. Nothing seems to work. My test is this... after running the car hard and a brief cool down, I turn off the engine, pop the hood and immediately run my finger under this connection and I typically find a small amount of fuel from this area. No real dripping but maybe 'a drip' on the connector.

What are your thoughts? I guess the fuel line could have s slight crack and is leaking down toward the connector? Is this a common problem? The SS lines seem to use the old connectors, is this correct? If the connector is 'broke' replacing the lines won't help.. right?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Peter.

Last edited by Highlander944; 02-03-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Highlander944
Advanced

bump... any ideas?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:43 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

yeah. buy a new lindsey fuel rail, comes w/ a damper, new lines, new fpr then u won't have any concerns because everything will be new...
Old 02-04-2004, 12:17 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I had a similar problem...
Mine was pouring fuel out of that connection. I loostened the connection then rotated the compression fitting in the socket (like a ball and socket joint) until I could feel the origional groove it was in (when torqued origionally) then re-tightened it. It worked perfectly. Let me know if you need more explanation - or if that even makes sense (sometimes I don't ;p ).
Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be time to replace the fuel hoses, and I usually double-clamp them as well.

You can try some teflon tape on the threads of the dampener, also.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:09 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my stock lines with Lindsey's only to find my damper leaking. The fitting didn't leak but the damper was now leaking at the seams. I had to buy a new one from Paragon and got a new hose that carries the fuel from the damper back to the rail. Both the little hose and the damper were about $100 and now everything is new.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Advanced

By all means do not use teflon tape on any fuelconnections, you don't want little tape particles clog your injectors. Use liquid teflon instead.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:09 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

yes i'll second that, teflon liquid only. re: buying a new damper, etc - unless you have a great reason to stay stock, i personally feel a LOT safer knowing my whole fuel-system isn't 18+ years old (in addition to the rail/damper/lines/fpr i've since picked up a cell and pump and will be installing those and new lines all of the way back as soon as the car gets out of the paint shop). fuel is one of those thigns that you just don't take chances with, esp. with the way our lines run over the exhaust manifold - i've SEEN my header glowing a nice dull red after hard runs... imagining fuel hitting that doesn't bring a smile to my face to say the least.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Highlander944
Advanced

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did a visual on both the fuel line connector ball and the dampener ball socket and I did not notice any significant marks... I will have to re-examine this concern. I also noted a strong gas smelling coming from the engine over the past two mornings. Turns out that although I did not disconnect the hose at the bottom of the dampener, to has decided to begin leaking.

So... I guess my question is this. Can I simply get a new fuel dampener and be reasonably sure it will seal correctly or do you think the fuel line connectors are also so fubared that I'd need to replace it all? I have no money for this... so please try to separate mostly like from perfect. Unless someone wants to hook me up with parts at a very good price.

Thanks

Peter.

Quick Reply: Fuel Dampener leaking.