Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Short Shift... 15 min.. yeah RIGHT!! Your nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004 | 06:02 PM
mumzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I'm just dense, but EVERY time I get into a project the directions given tend to over simplify the procedure, with a few exceptions. Perhaps its the expectation of easiness that leads to the frustration.

The easiest project on this car.. hands down, replacing the bypass valve.

Take the replacement of the turbo water pump.... the directions stink. The procedure SHOULD SAY.
STEP 1. Jack up car and remove belly panels
STEP 2. Look under car at radiator on drivers side.
STEP 3. Remove the BIG blue screw from the radiator, this will drain the coolant.
STEP 4. Remove air intake lines.
Then the rest of the stuff everyone always talks about!

The 1st time you do this job you learn all this on your own... BUT you think your an idiot because no one ever talks about these steps... They say.. I changed mine in 20 minutes and simply put a rag in the line quick to stop the coolant. Or... after the coolant is removed this is a 20 minute job.

Here's another classic... replacing the spark plug wires. You know what makes this job easy.... telling someone to remove the fuel dampener. You know what makes this job stink... the fuel dampener is nearly impossible to tighten back on and not leak! So how about some tech article addressing this?

Easy... here's easy, replace the 7.5amp fuse. Another Easy is replacing spark plugs. Another easy, replacing the DME & KLR chips. A not so easy... installing a boost bolt! How do you route the extra hose.... Not enough hose clamps... If the 'provided' hose touches the manifold will it melt? All questions NO ONE ever answers.

Sometimes I think an engine rebuild would be simpler than these 'easy' tasks simply cause you know it's not easy.

Yeah riding a bike is easy once you've done it for years. I think calling every task 'easy' heightens the expectation and really makes me frustrated if it takes longer... for someone who has NEVER taken apart their Porsche shifter or any other shifter, this is NOT a 10 or 15 minute job, period!!
dude...seriously, and not intended as a flame....if you need a written instruction to understand that replacing a coolant pump is going to require that you drain some coolant then you shouldnt be working on your car yourself.

The short shifter mod is pretty damn simple. Boost bolt? For crissakes it takes a screwdriver, a box wrench and a pair of snips...in a pinch i think most folks could knock it out with a quarter, a cresecent wrench and some scissors.

The assumption on the part of the manufacturer has to be that the installer is minimally competent to make the mods he or she is undertaking. It can not be incumbent on the manufacturer to plan for folks who are just learning how to wrench, and to take novice skill levels into account.
Old 02-03-2004 | 07:12 PM
carrerabo
Advanced

Best trick that I found most pleasing to me.....Most of the shifter are original with original bushing. Speedforce racing makes the shifter already cut use this and replace the bushing, must use momo shift ****, this only shortens the lever, and only seems that it make throw shorter. Then use the Weltmiezer short shift kit that installs at shift linkage at trans. This makes that feel of shifting short, and tight every one who feels this in my car love it. I would recomend this to anyone who has tho replace sloppy shifter.
Old 02-03-2004 | 10:41 PM
Highlander944
Advanced

ok mumzer, Don't be a dolt!

given the kit @ boost sciences, please tell me the melting point of that short rubber type vacuum hose. please tell me the max temp of the al intake manifold? Now exactly what must be avoided when installing that hose?

I know how to remove hoses. Do you bend the hard line and risk kinking? Do you risk running that soft rubber in a HOT area? Do you nearly snip your fingers off removing the OE crimp on the boost bolt so that you can install the new hose?

I guess I overanalyze things. I like to know if it's going to work BEFORE I try it.

... I'll end on that.. I have nothing positive to say about your comment.

You ever see that commercial with Bret Farve? It's pretty darn easy to be a Monday morning QB...
Old 02-03-2004 | 11:40 PM
mumzer
Racer

Originally posted by Highlander944
ok mumzer, Don't be a dolt!

mumzer means bastard, not dolt.

given the kit @ boost sciences, please tell me the melting point of that short rubber type vacuum hose. please tell me the max temp of the al intake manifold? Now exactly what must be avoided when installing that hose?
i dont need to know the temp of the manifold (id go 250 if pressed) nor the melting temp of the rubber hose (id go 400) because we are talking about a kit from a reputable vendor that has a bunch of these products out in the marketplace.

there doesnt seem to be a bunch of silly hand-ringing by internet nancy-boys about melted hoses (which as any aftermarket supplier can attest would be the case if there were any kind of thermal issue with the bits as supplied)

I know how to remove hoses.
then why bitch about not being specifically told to do so...i'll quote forefathers (im patriotic that way) we hold these truths to be self-evident"

Do you bend the hard line and risk kinking?
is this a rhetorical question? you just asserted that you knew how to do this.

Id bend the tubing...mild tubing that size probably costs about 12 cents a foot. If you were minimally qualified to do the install yourself (which in point of fact was the crux of my initial post) you would be able to evaluate the risk and/or would be able to use the 3 dollar tubing bending available for this sort of thing at pepboys.

Do you risk running that soft rubber in a HOT area?
its heater hose for crissakes...you know the stuff the pressurized coolant extracted from your cylinder head travels to the radiator inside? yes....you run it in a hot area...the stock rubber line lived there for the last 17 years.

Do you nearly snip your fingers off removing the OE crimp on the boost bolt so that you can install the new hose?
Not if you use the right tools and (as in point of fact was the crux of my first post) are minimally qualified to do this job yourself...no i wouldnt nearly snip of my fingers.

Should the vendor of the part plan for you to be a no-skills having, accident prone doofus and include a bandaid and some superglue in the kit? How about some instructions, step by step of course, on home suturing technique?

I guess I overanalyze things. I like to know if it's going to work BEFORE I try it.
not sure what to say to this... i considered,

"word..."

and,

"buy a honda, the extended warranty and the perma plate..."

and finally,

"a mans got to know his limitations (dirty harry)"

i'll let the listers pick their favorite.

You ever see that commercial with Bret Farve? It's pretty darn easy to be a Monday morning QB...
not that i know of....i spend too much time in the shop messing around with race cars. I guess this would be applicable if i didnt have the skills to do the install we are talking about in a reasonable amount of time, or the sense to hire someone to do it for me.
Old 02-04-2004 | 12:05 AM
Highlander944
Advanced

ok mumzer... i'm a computer guy, I've loved Porsche for a long time. I have little experience working on cars. I'm a higher level person. I typically look to understand the basics and go from there. I don't function well if the basics are left undefined. I'm also a touch machanical.. worked in a precision machine shop at various time for the past 25years.

As such... with that little boost bolt.. I did not know the intake manifold only hit 250F even on the hottest days. I did not know the vacuum line provided with the kit will handle at least 400F. Would have been good to know that BEFORE the install.

To quote the most trustworthy source... "I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it" 1 Corinthians 3:2. You see, it's building blocks. I don't need super glue... if that were included I'd worry about the stress temp of that, and could it handle the inner hood temps? All I'm asking is to define the basics I hate the answer 'because'. So how about backing off a bit...
Old 02-04-2004 | 12:16 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Highlander, maybe you should re-read your posts.
Old 02-04-2004 | 01:41 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Oh my... not to throw gasoline on the fire, but I can see both sides...

I am a novice wrench myself, and have no mechcanical experience from my childhood to speak of.
No one learns by paying someone else to do it.
You have to start somewhere...

As if you arent frustrated enough, people will *always* say
"It took you two hours!?! It only took me 10 minutes!"
(Just like earlier in this thread)

Hell, I can't even put on my work clothes, get out the dremel and cleanup afterwards in under 10 minutes, much less accomplish the task at hand.

Highlander:
In general the things I've learned:

1) if its that hard, I probably am not using the right tool.
2) if its still that hard, I need to take a break.

and a corollary:

3) when someone says it'll take x minutes/hours, thats for a mechanic, multiply by ten in our case.
Old 02-04-2004 | 04:33 PM
carrerabo
Advanced

What happen to the short shift topic when did it change?

Quick Reply: Short Shift... 15 min.. yeah RIGHT!! Your nuts.