Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bay Area Machinist? -Valve Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:55 PM
rcatherton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area Machinist? -Valve Job

I am looking for a machinist to do a valve job on my 951 head preferably in the San Fran Bay Area. The head is out of the car and ready to go. Not looking for any port work, just a quality valve job to specs with the right parts. I heard good things about Performance Developments, so I called them and they indicated 617.50 for the valve job and typical cleaning and they provided a detailed work list. If the replace the guides they want an additional 337.50 (Mag. Bronze). To replace the seats (Alumimium Nickel Bronze) and additional $536.25. They did not mention the cost of new valves, but one of my exhaust values is missing some of the surface treatment on the combusion side of the valve, so I could be looking at some new exhaust valves. Doing the math, I could hit $2000 with new valves guides and seats. Their standards may be much higher and yes you get what you pay for, but what minimum standards are really required for a motor that will occassionally go to the track? None of the advertised valve jobs, I have seen being offered by the regular vendors, mention additional parts cost such as new valves, seats and guides. I do want to feel a little more comfortable about the upper price limits before moving forward, so your input and alternative suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ellsworth Brothers in Mountain View

Jay's Precision Machine in Santa Clara
Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rcatherton

It is, and always be, a case of "you get what you pay for".

TonyG
Old 02-03-2004, 12:13 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I would guess you will not have to replace any seats, unless they are real low. You can tell by looking at the Valves installed. If they look lower than the combustion chamber, they should be replaced. As for guides, usually do not need them. I'm sure they did not tell you that they needed to be replaced, rather what it would cost if you had to. As or the rest of the work, you will get something back that will be fully blueprinted. At the least you know what your putting back on.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not local to you, but have you considered Lindsey Racing? To do their Stage 1 rebuild with additional High Velocity Exhaust is only $650 for gains that have been documented well with proven machining like 5-angle valve job, new guides and seals, and attention to velocity.

Check it out here

I'm in no way affiliated, I've just had great service from Dave Lindsey and heard great stuff about his results.

Sam
Old 02-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I once stumbled across a machine shop in Mt. View -- I think it was called German Percision or something like that. The owner gave me an oddball stud on a Sunday morning for free, which saved the day for me. He was sitting in his shop that morning working on 911 parts. I got the impression he works on Porsche parts all or most of the time.

Or, you could call Jerry Woods or RMG Enterprises or Heyer Peformance, and ask where they get their stuff done. Tony Heyer had my head rebuilt for me, but I never asked what machine shop actually did the work.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:51 AM
rcatherton
Instructor

Tom, I stopped by German Percision about 12 years ago when I took the 911 engine building class held by Bruce Anderson & Jerry Woods. Jerry built a 935 engine for the class and it was a lot of fun. I don't see the advertising anymore, so is German Percision still around and do they also do 951 work? Sam, I like Lindsey Racing and I have purchased parts from Dave, however for piece of mind, I would prefer to deal directly with the machinist on the head. M42, your comments are greatly appreciated and right on target. Knowing it is done right, when you have no control over the work is critical. Looking at the intake, it is a little less the 1mm above the surface and the exhaust is about 2mm.

Thanks Again
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Then by the sounds of what you are saying, you won't need to repalce the seats. Should be a straight forward service repair. Lets hope so. Your asking the right questions! For me, piece of mind is worth the money.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rcatherton
Tom, I stopped by German Percision about 12 years ago when I took the 911 engine building class held by Bruce Anderson & Jerry Woods. Jerry built a 935 engine for the class and it was a lot of fun. I don't see the advertising anymore, so is German Percision still around and do they also do 951 work? Sam, I like Lindsey Racing and I have purchased parts from Dave, however for piece of mind, I would prefer to deal directly with the machinist on the head. M42, your comments are greatly appreciated and right on target. Knowing it is done right, when you have no control over the work is critical. Looking at the intake, it is a little less the 1mm above the surface and the exhaust is about 2mm.

Thanks Again
Just to be clear, German Percision is/was a place in Mt. View -- it was a pure machine shop, specializing in german parts. Jerry Woods Enterprises is a different shop is in San Jose (Campbell) and is still in business to my knowledge. See www.jerrywoods.com Bruce Anderson told me that Jerry has lots of exerience with the 951 head (but obviously he is known for his 911 motors).
Old 02-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay's Precision Machine does a lot of Jerry Woods machine work. Ellsworths is one block away from Heyer performance, but I dont know if they do Heyer's work.

When I redid my head, I sent it to Lindsey Racing, got the stage 1 with the high velocity exhaust port work and o-rings. Sam Lin's suggestion is a good one.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:39 PM
rcatherton
Instructor

I took my head to Jay Robison at Jay's Precision Machine today. Jay also does work for Engine Builders Supply, mostly early air cooled work. Jay is a one man band and very friendly. His rates appear to be fair. He said the basic valve job is $150. New guides are $18 a piece. He is going to dissassemble and give me a call to let me know what needs to be replaced. Jay estimated it should be done by late next week which will give me time to get the top of the engine cleaned up.

Richard
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay does good work. He lightened my flywheel. Made a custom crank from a billet for a friends VW. Great price, good work, you just have to overlook the hole in the wall shop.

If you have a turbo, the exhaust valves are sodium filled (important if replaced) and the exhaust ports are ceramic (do not touch).
Old 02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

RC,

Where is Precision Machine? I wonder if this is the guy I was telling you about? How old is Jay would you say? I have some work to get done.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:00 PM
rcatherton
Instructor

Tom,

Jay's Precision Machine is located at 1744 Grant Street, Santa Clara, CA 95050. Phone is 408-980-0743. His lease comes up in March and he will be moving to a larger space directly across the street. Jay discussed the OEM manufactures of valves, berings and gaskets at length and said Porsche uses ATE and TRW for the valves. Jay said we could get the same valve that is supplied to Porsche from the OEM at a fraction of the cost. I would say Jay is 50 years old. Yes it is a hole in the wall and based on the amount of stuff laying around the shop, I assume he has been doing this for a long, long time. Hopefully the move will force him to purge this stuff. I knew about the ceramic exhaust liners and it appears it is held in by a metal insert. If the head is cleaned up in a tank or with glass beads how careful does one have to be not to damage the ceramic liner.

Richard

Quick Reply: Bay Area Machinist? -Valve Job