Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Easiest way to replace the electric fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NZ951

If you open your hood, lean over the radiator looking down at the radiator, on the right side of the radiator towards the engine (the drivers side) you will see your large upper radiator hose.

If you remove the hose, you would see just under it (about an inch or so), the switch you are looking for. It has wires connected to it, and the actual sender threads into the radiator end tank.

The sender points towards the engine, and is located on the drivers side of the car just under the upper radiator hose.

It's there!

TonyG
Old 02-02-2004, 08:09 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So getting to it frpm the top is easy eh? I will try that, better than risking my life under that crap jack!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all for getting to it from the bottom...far easier IMO. You dont have to remove anything. and have a clean line of sight.

But if you dont have any jackstands or ramps, yes, definetely do it from the top. Never go under a car that is only supported by a jack. Though you're gonna have to pull off some miracles to get under the car and get the coolant drained with it on the ground.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Access to the switch with respect to which way is easier really depends on what you have installed in the car. if you car is stock... then I'd go from the bottom.

But if you have a MAF setup, and since you already have to drain the coolant, I go though the top.

It's really an issue of what ever works best for you....

TonyG
Old 02-03-2004, 03:10 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Done the job! Man thats a deep gosh damn switch! I did not have a socket deep enough, had to do a Maori job. All good now though, the switch was knackered. Lindsey supplied a way lower switch though, and now the fans run non stop, too low to actually cool the engine to the 78 degree temp IIRC as the water thermostat does not kick in. Lindsey are slipping, I did not order a lower temp unit. Damn.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to replace the electric fan switch