Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just wondering if anyone has any chip sets that they don't need

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 09:33 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Just wondering if anyone has any chip sets that they don't need

I have been looking for a set of used chips for my car. I bought a lindsey racing stage 2 maf kit and I want to kick up the boost. This apparently will not work properly without a set of chips to override. So if anyone has any aftermarket chips that they don't want and are willing to part with for a reasonable amount of money. I would love to here from you.
Thanks, in advance
Old 01-31-2004, 09:36 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention it is for an 86 car. I thought when I bought the maf that it would be no problem to increase boost but I was wrong.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2004, 09:37 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out ebay the last time i looked there were a few.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:41 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

I have some used APE chips I may be willing to part with.

In all honesty, I'm not sure its the best place to be saving money on these cars.
Nice chips = Nice air/fuel curve.

I am very impressed with Danno's chips, and you probably won't be able to find a used set of those.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:45 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Also John from Vitesse can burn you a set of chips now!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:11 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

I have a piggyback computer that can adjust a/f, the only reason why I need the chips is so that I can get past the overboost thing with the KLR.

Basically I had the car on the dyno today and started to adjust my a/f to where it needed to be and then the overboost thing kicked in and killed the engine. I was only trying to run 14psi. So it is not like I am trying to run a lot of boost. Just want to be able to get around the KLR's overboost protection. I am able to control my own a/f. If anyone has some that they are willing to part with. please pm me with what you want for them, that would be great. If I am saying something completely wrong please correct me.
Thanks again for your responces.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:12 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Save up and buy Danno's chips, they're worth it.

http://gururacing.net/
Old 01-31-2004, 11:13 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of Huntley chips going cheap.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Blueman33
Pro

It is my understanding that with your MAF you can set your A/F ratio, so all you need is a chip that over-rides the boost cut-off of the stock chip.

hmmm,...i wonder why we run 18psi and Porsche designed the car to cut off way before that? they must have not known what they were doing.

anyway it's my understanding that you just need any aftermarket chip that will not have the boost cut-off. Why a guru or ape or huntley or kolken would be any better than the other when YOU are controlling the A/F ratios with your MAF is beyond me.

i am one who has no MAF/MAP and has the new 18psi guru chip. So far everyone loves it, I have not driven mine yet with new chip.

I am just hoping that in the future the chip kit isn't chips, shims, reliaboost, headgasket.

good luck!
Old 02-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I have a piggyback computer that can adjust a/f, the only reason why I need the chips is so that I can get past the overboost thing with the KLR."

"It is my understanding that with your MAF you can set your A/F ratio, so all you need is a chip that over-rides the boost cut-off of the stock chip."

Well, sort of in a round-about way. You're not really adjusting fuel, but rather the voltage-curve coming out of the MAF. What this in effect does is skews the look-up point on the chip's internal 3D fuel-map. The new look-up point either has more or less fuel depending up on which way you adjust the signal. On the following fuel-maps of three different chips, the arrows are the path taken across the fuel-map starting at idle and going through the revs at about 50% throttle (red is stock, purple is skewed):

Depending upon the chip, a certain skew amount will result in a change in fuel, but it's not the same on all chips. On some chips a 5% signal chage might result in a 2% change in fuel; on others it might be 10%. It also depends upon where you are on the 3D map as well. On the chips above, the #1 & #2 chips won't result in much fuel-map changes, but on the 3rd chip, it causes a big change.

However, on a lot of MAF kits, the signal-massager is used to make a non-compatible MAF-sensor work with the DME computer by changing the MAF signal into something resembling more like the stock AFM. However, this causes a skewing of the ignition signal as well:

Typically when you increase fuel, you retard the spark, often times over 10-15 degrees which is the opposite of what you want to do to increase performance. So a MAF with matching chipset is the optimum solution. That 's why I like the APE MAF kits so much. On Shane's car with a K27/8, we started with the APE MAF at 15psi as designed. Then added a TurboXS boost-controller and Tial wastegate to get more control over boost than the banjo-bolt restrictor. Then we started turning up the boost a little at a time and mapping the chips. The result is this:

Notice the super-wide 3000rpm powerband. Max-boost hits same as stock around 3500rpm due to anti-lag programming in the chips. Torque doesn't drop off dramatically like on a lot of modified 951s. Unfortunately, we ran out of fuel with the 55# injectors at about 5000rpm. Turning up the fuel-pressure delayed the 100% duty-cycle point to 5500rpm (see above where it starts to rise linearly), but also made the mid-range way too rich. The extra fuel also cost us 5hp and 10-lb/ft from the earlier run before this. So, in goes 65# injectors and we'll be back to turn up the boost!

Last edited by Danno; 02-01-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:35 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Danno - thats a nice looking chart, what boost level was being run ? Was the ignition timing custom for this application ?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:45 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I have an extra set of europroducts chips here on my desk. My car 12.7 with them.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

badcoupe, I got outbid on eBay when you had them up - what are you asking on those?

Sam
Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I had 50 for a reserve. Did you get the airfilter? I was kinda behind on shipping it. My business has been really busy, sorry.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I'm the one who won the air filter. Delay's no problem on my end. I'm interested in your chips.

Sam

Quick Reply: Just wondering if anyone has any chip sets that they don't need