Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much boost is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost is too much?

I posted this on another thread and didn't get an answer. It's three quesitons, please respond with your opinion to any or all of them. Questions are BOOST, WHERE/HOW TO SET CONTROLLER, WG AFFECT ON CHIP PERFORMANCE

The new chip I have is set for 18psi.

1. is 18psi considered safe? i had heard anything over 15psi was risky.

2. how do i set my LBE to the appropriate setting? It comes set for 10psi i believe and i haven't touched it.

3. Will the chip start screwing up if I go from stock WG to Tial?

I want to set it/forget it. I don't want to fool and fiddle.

26/6
LBE
guru chip
test pipe
93octane
100k mile

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR OPINIONS!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:06 PM
BoostSciences
Advanced

Didn't get an answer the last time you posted.....this is unacceptable.

I am going to set a good example this time.

1) 18psi is safe only if you have higher flowrate injectors and the corresponding fuel maps to compensate for the higher air pressure. The stock injectors are only good for 15 psi. If your injectors are not updated, keep it at 15psi or below.

2) I am not an expert on the LBE, but the LBE does tend to have boost spikes, especially at the higher boost settings. Spikes are bad for your motor. Get a boost controller with spike protection to save you the worry.

3) If you switch wastegates, you should not have any problems with your chips.

Regards
Old 01-30-2004, 02:10 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

18 is safe if everything else is in place to run at 18

No problems with a wastegate change

Did you not get a reliaboost with the Guru chips ?

I just bought an Accuboost to try out myself.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default IMHO...

1. As BS (BoostSciences ) said, stock injectors at 3 bar fuel pressure do not provide sufficient fuel for 18 psi to the red line. You need at least 55# injectors for that.

2. I agree that an LBE is not a good manual boost controller.

3. It gets a little tricky here. Danno has stated that his chips are tuned for a flat 18 psi to the red line. A stock shimmed wastegate won't hold 18 psi to the redline, and, by coincidence, the stock injectors won't provide sufficient fuel for 18 psi to the redline. In engineering, we call this type of design the theory of compensating errors. What it means is that you can crank your boost to 18 psi and see huge midrange torque (300+ ft-lbs.) The weak wastegate will spill boost at high rpm and keep your engine from running lean at high rpm. If you see a boost chart with huge midrange torque but a horsepower peak way down at 5200 rpm, this is what is happening. Now, if you happen to add a quality wastegate that can actually hold 18 psi to the redline to this mix, and don't upgrade your injectors at the same time, lean over and kiss your engine goodbye.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"3. It gets a little tricky here. Danno has stated that his chips are tuned for a flat 18 psi to the red line. A stock shimmed wastegate won't hold 18 psi to the redline, and, by coincidence, the stock injectors won't Provide sufficient fuel for 18 psi to the redline. In engineering, we call this type of design the theory of compensating errors. "

Don't confuse boost-pressure with air-flow volume. If you have an AFM and a chip-only upgrade, no worries running 18psi. The restriction of the AFM will limit you to about 235-240@ 18psi on a non-S turbo and 260-270rwhp from a TurboS. Yes, it will be about 90% and 100% of duty-cycle on the stock injectors @ 3.0-bar fuel-pressure (that's why one is included).

With a MAF or MAP kit, add 30- 40hp to those figures at the same 18psi boost and now we're looking at needing larger injectors.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Blueman33
Pro

So should I replace my stock WG???

Some say it's the most important thing while others say 'kiss your engine goodbye"

What WILL a new WG do for me?

26/6
guru chip
test pipe
LBE
93 octane
Old 02-01-2004, 01:56 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

I think that the answer to that question is pretty clear from the above posts. If you continue to use your stock WG you will bleed enough boost at high RPM to run 18psi (peak) reliably. If you go to a dual port wastegate you have more power potential but you should upgrade your injectors, FPR. and consider a MAF to avoid running lean at higher RPMs. Running lean causes detonation= holes in pistons and cracked heads.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:58 AM
Sach951
Pro

Take a look at www.clarks-garage.com and read the page there on the boost control system. This should help you out alot

Cheers,
Sach

Quick Reply: How much boost is too much?