Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question? after adding a new wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 11:31 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question? after adding a new wastegate?

Just added a Tail 38mm WG and was wondering if I needed to have any tweaking done, such as A/F mixture check. It's my first turbo and not sure what "cause and effect" has as I make upgrades. Just added SFR exhaust w/ WG and boy it did make a difference, but I noticed a smoke from the rear as the turbo kicked in, Anything special needed to check and correct A/F mixture, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Old 01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Improving your wastegate and exhaust will have no effect on your air/fuel ratios.

Are you using a manual or electronic boost contoller or the stock system?What colour is the "smoke" under acceleration?
Old 01-28-2004, 12:20 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wastegate will most definetely have an effect on your air/fuel ratios. Your new wastegate is probably letting you hold boost to redline better, thus making your car need more fuel that it did before.

Which stage 2 chips does your car have? Autothority? If so, they are designed for a dropping boost curve which your car no longer has and you WILL run lean at higher rpm.

Which part of the SFR exhaust did you get?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 AM
joseywhales
Instructor

Thanks for replies, It's the Authority chip w/ stock boost controller and I installed the complete SFR system w/ cat (needed to pass emissions). The smoke was hard to tell, it was at night and I had a boxter on my rear and I wanted him off, and when the turbo kick in a big cloud appeared in his lights. I guess I need to have someone drive behind me to determine if it's black or white smoke unless their is a way to determine in garage. Thanks!
Scott
Old 01-28-2004, 07:33 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Do you have an after market boost gauge? The stock one is inaccurate! I have my dyno sheet to show you what adrial is talking about with the Autothority chips. Depending on what your plans are with your car a new set of chips might be what you will need. You should definately find out what your A/F curve looks like.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a testpipe, sfr exhaust, tial wg, mbc, ape chips. I have it set to 13psi just because I dont trust the upper rev range. The chips are mapped to "roll off" boost with a factory wastegate, that no longer applies with a tial, mine will hold 15+ easy...so like Adrial said, the A/F ratios are most likely wrong...tread lightly.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:12 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

If I understand ya'll correctly I need to have the a/f mixture tested and lower boost, or change to a differant chip (something other than auth.2 chip) And I difinently know what tread lightly means. Is this something a shop like Zim's Auto teknic should do (local). if chips are required is one set up better than another for my situation. Not a racer but a weekender. Thanks all!
Scott
Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a performance standpoint, I would just toss the autothority chips and get something else.

Guru seems popular, but personally I dont trust any chips anymore. I will only raise the boost on my car (after a toasted HG) when I can monitor air/fuel ratio's at all times (wideband O2) and have a means of adding/substracting fuel throughout the rev-range.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM
joseywhales
Instructor

Is there a good aftermarket a/f gauge out there?
Scott
Old 01-28-2004, 10:43 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

well, there is if you pony up about 300-500 dollars. PLX, Techedge, Lindsey sells a wideband that will tell you alot and most say they are within >.1 of a actual wideband dyno. A narrowband A/F gauge is more for a quick look, not tuning.

Quick Reply: Question? after adding a new wastegate?