Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a better understanding of the 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 AM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a better understanding of the 951

What is the best method of understanding the working 951? I am new to Porsches and turbos. I"m in the local PCA chapter and attend the events. I have a Haynes manual which I am reading. I have also read my owners manual. I have been reading all the posts and know I am just a novice. I would like to understand how this wonderful machine works. I had my engine rebuilt as soon as I got it because I knew enough to know it was over my head and I wanted to drive it sooner. It runs great, most every thing works great, (The Cruise control accelrates the car but will not hold any speed.) I know SEARCH is my friend. Is the shop manual series a must have? Where is the best place to get a set. I have been watching EBAY. Is it the best way to learn, I understand hands on repair is the best but I don't have anything to fix( at the moment). I also don't know anybody around this area that is a real gearhead. I am willing to do the homework and want to know how a DME/MAF/ MAP/ system works and how a torsion bar works. I am getting all the seat time (DE, autoX) I can get to better control the car, but I want to understand the mechanical side also. Sorry for being long winded but I got the Porsche bug and want to do more on my car. I also like the cost savings and pride of doing it myself.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Keep reading.
1. Subscribe to Excellence and European car.
2. Order back issues of Excellence.
3. Read the tech articles at Clarks garage, Paragon, and Pelican.
4. Get Carky Bell's book maximum boost and the Bently motronic book.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:22 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shop manuals will run ya like 400 dollars. i just use the guys (and gals) here and www.clarks-garage.com which has tons of great repair info. i tore down my motor this summer with the help of everyone here, clarks garage, and a friend that works for snap-on that had the cheesehead socket i needed (thats all he helped with, he has no porsche experience)
Old 01-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

944Willie,

You're asking all the right questions and have been given some good advice so far. It's not clear from your post whether you currently own a 944 turbo. If so, please include it in your signature line or whatever car you're interested in so we can help you better.

Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Yes

Welcome to rennlist...

You sound anxious to learn which is good, just hang around here a while and you'll pick stuff up.

If you wanna understand MAF/MAP's and the basics of fuel injection.
I'd really recommend reading "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management."

Its quite an interesting and educational read, and contains a lot of info about the 944/951 specifically.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:20 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

where in the pacific northwest do you live?
I might know someone that couold help you out.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:17 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

alot of good info here also:
http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/

JOhn
Old 01-27-2004, 09:48 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

In my experience from what I've looked at in them, the shop manuals aren't really a simple based step by step format, they leave off little things that a mechanic would likely realize, especially those with Porsche training. These other spots have information and there are many write-ups here on specific topics that would address some smaller issues and such that you may need. That said they are tremendously useful for some things, but I found a copy (they used to be available online for a short while and that website is gone now) and honestly, I've not done much besides look at them a couple of times as it didn't have either the information I wanted (more basic info) or I just haven't needed it. In fact, I don't think I've opened it in many months at all. You can learn a lot looking through it once you understand some basics on the car and what and where the various bigger parts are at.

For example, a search here (probably in the 944 list IIRC) details some info on the cruise problems and what people did to get their cruise computers going again as you mentioned yours was having some problems.

Good luck with the car and let's see some pictures!!!!!! Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:59 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 330 Posts

I put the following page together for folks new to the 924/944/951/968:

http://www.weissach.net/924-944-968_...formation.html

Karl.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I agree that the factory manuals are more for reference than actual education, but a must for serious work. They come on microfiche at a fraction of the cost. The spare parts books has great diagrams of how things snap together. Clark's garage is a great how-to resource. This board and the mailing list are an endless source of info. Many local community colleges have auto mechanics programs. I took classes there, which helped a lot for general automotive knowledge. I went to Bruce Anderson's 911 engine rebuilding class, and Garity's 951 engine building class, both of which were a great source of real-world info. If you are sufficiently obsessed, you'll find what you are looking for.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 AM
944Willie
Instructor

Thanks to all who responded. Yes I have a 87 951. I have subscribed to the publications listed for about 26 months. I have seen Clark's garage but not to really review what all it had to offer. I will try tofind a set of the manuals (watching for a good buy). You have given me some other avenues to follow and that is what I was looking for. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:39 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A whole page of suggestions and noone has mentioned this: JOIN RENNLIST (click on 'membership' above.) While strictly voluntary, John D does a heck of good job providing us with this environment. Help support it.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:49 PM
mslovak1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello,

I have the Porche 944/951 Manuals on CD in Adobe PDF format, that I probably could copy.
I am wondering though what would be the best way to do this?

M
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I have the turbo shop manual (though I don't have the car yet, lol)... it isn't as dumbed down as the Haynes is. Haynes is geared more toward the backyard mechanic while the shop manuals, as Andrew said, are for actual technicians and mechanics. Haynes is for you if you are new to working on cars. If you have worked on plenty of other cars, however, and know the concepts, Haynes can't hold a light to the Porsche factory shop manuals...

my advice however, is save the money from the factory manual for now, and spend the $18 to become a full member.. it is the best $18 you will ever spend! Rennlist has more info than the shop manual and Haynes combined... by far, let's keep the site running strong.

-Kevin
Old 01-28-2004, 06:02 PM
jim944s2
Racer

944Willie: Will you be at the nw auto-x party on Feb 15th? or the practice day at Bremerton on the 21st? And which group do you run in?

Quick Reply: Need a better understanding of the 951