Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Adhesive for side view mirror??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adhesive for side view mirror??

It never ends! Now the drivers side mirror glass fell off while cruising at 40mph. Seriously?? Ok, so gonna purchase a replacement. Couple questions:

1. What's the proper adhesive to use? I've been reading epoxy, crazy glue, silicone, etc., I'd think that this is important as I have heated mirrors and need good conduction for the heat transfer (I think silicone is actually an insulator!).

2. Anyone using passenger side CONVEX mirror on driver side? I've read some people use a "convex" mirror on the driver side. Is there a convex glass thats not too aggressive like the passenger side?? Do people actually use the passenger side convex on the driver side? Seems a bit wacky!?

thanx all!

Jaime
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You likely will not have to worry about gluing a driver's mirror glass, as the replacement should come with the backing plate. Once it's in your hands, you will see how it attaches to the mirror motor (use a small pick or screwdriver to move the locking ring).

If your old mirror glass somehow didn't break, you can use an interior rearview mirror-to-windshield adhesive kit (available at any auto parts store) to temporarily re-glue it. This has lasted a surprisingly long time on a few customer Porsches, at least one of which has not returned for a full replacement mirror glass . . . .
Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Here you go: https://burcoinc.com/redi-cuts-catalog/

Click on link, put in your car's info, get the part numbers, and then go to ebay.
Mirrors run about $16-20 each, flat or convex. Good quality, lifetime warranty.

2812 Flat, heated
2814 Flat, non-heated
3612 Convex, heated
3614 Convex, non-heated

"What's the proper adhesive to use?" They come with sticky pads, as good as OEM.
"Anyone using passenger side CONVEX mirror on driver side" You can but you won't like the view!

Last edited by PaulD_944S2; 10-22-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
It never ends! Now the drivers side mirror glass fell off while cruising at 40mph. Seriously?? Ok, so gonna purchase a replacement. Couple questions:

1. What's the proper adhesive to use? I've been reading epoxy, crazy glue, silicone, etc., I'd think that this is important as I have heated mirrors and need good conduction for the heat transfer (I think silicone is actually an insulator!).

2. Anyone using passenger side CONVEX mirror on driver side? I've read some people use a "convex" mirror on the driver side. Is there a convex glass thats not too aggressive like the passenger side?? Do people actually use the passenger side convex on the driver side? Seems a bit wacky!?

thanx all!

Jaime
Years ago, my driver's mirror fell off, and I sourced a passenger side convex replacement. Love it. Then, the passenger one fell off, and I managed to find a driver's (USA--non-convex) and used that. Lousy!

If you can, use convex on both sides. A trip to Europe and you'll notice they are all like that over there--with no need for warnings

Quick Reply: Adhesive for side view mirror??