Fix leaks in car or pull engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:20 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

One word of "cautiion"...
once the engine is out and you can see all the other "hidden stuff" you will undoubtedly experience scope creep.

I pulled my engine out in July? for a simple swap, but my inner mad scientist took over...
Old 10-23-2018, 02:58 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
I have been contemplating the same decision. Harbor freight has a hoist for $180 and a stand for $50.

Assuming i can convince she who must be obeyed to give up her side of the garage for a couple weeks (or months).. plan is to pull engine (out the top) do clutch and RMS, then put on stand for oil pan and bearings.

Will also address belts and water pump, and all front seals while out. Noticed a couple leaks from lower balance shaft cover...

Would also be a great time to figure out what I'm going to do with the 2.5 16v head in the corner.

Malcolm
Do it! I plan to use this thread to document the job, so you can add to it so we can commiserate together. And how hard can it be to convert to 16v head?

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Go to an auto body shop and buy yourself some "Pro Form" brand or similar Tar, Wax and Grease remover and or Final Wipe Solvent . It makes cleaning up the engine much nicer. A good spray bottle filled with this will also aid in washing away dirt, oil etc.

http://ca.proformproducts.com/en/pro...rease-remover/

http://ca.proformproducts.com/en/pro...lvent-cleaner/

Believe me when I say this stuff works as I have cleaned the hell out of the car projects I am working on using the stuff.

You use these product to clean before sanding and painting. It does not have to be Pro Form brand just any manufacturer that us used for cleaning before sanding and or painting.

Look at post #60 on my thread. Some of the dirt/oil was on the parts for well over 10 years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/864942-gruhsy-s-revival-of-rage2-s-old-car-4.html
Thanks, always looking for new ways to make my cars excessively clean!

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
One word of "cautiion"...
once the engine is out and you can see all the other "hidden stuff" you will undoubtedly experience scope creep.

I pulled my engine out in July? for a simple swap, but my inner mad scientist took over...
Yes. Back when I had a vintage Datsun 1600 Roadster, I decided to pull the motor when the alternator went out. A few years later, it went back as a bored, stroked, dual-Webered screamer...with a $30 used alternator bolted in place.

I'll try to avoid it, but the temptation to pull that crank and find someone to offset grind it to make a 2.85 hybrid stroker is going to be strong. But then I'll need a MAF conversion and a bigger turbo...
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

68to86.. yeah the 16 v head needs to worked on - it came off a car where someone had not replaced the tensioner pad, so catastrophic failure. Setting that aside for now.
I just fixed my last exhaust leak and it pulling really well now. Reluctant to take it down for service, but that timing belt has to be addressed. I wil keep you informed of my progress (or lack thereof).

Quick Reply: Fix leaks in car or pull engine?