Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Getting my 951 on the road again

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 06:30 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

That sensor reacts to a third raised screw in the flywheel (the other two raised screws are for the reference sensors). My understanding is Porsche dealers used it to measure ignition timing or something; regardless, it's apparently of no use anymore.

But I keep re-installing it anyway lol!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That’s the TDC sensor if you don’t want to crawl under the car.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

With the maf kit, are you sure it is receiving the 12 volt ignition power? That can cause a start and die situation on maf equipped cars.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:21 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

You must use the injectors that came with your MAF kit. The MAF software is always configured to work with a specific injector (size and brand).

Using the stock 951 injectors, which are much smaller than the injectors used with the MAF, will cause the car to run very lean. This may be one of the reason why your car shuts off.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:18 AM
teveo
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All right, then I am going to remove the TDC sensor and the diagnostics plug since it is not in use.

Originally Posted by fast951
You must use the injectors that came with your MAF kit. The MAF software is always configured to work with a specific injector (size and brand).
Using the stock 951 injectors, which are much smaller than the injectors used with the MAF, will cause the car to run very lean. This may be one of the reason why your car shuts off.
OK, thanks I may have made an error when selling the other Vitesse kit I had, a Stage 3 kit w turbo, I tossed in the injectors as well. i had the MAF kit years before I bought the "stage 3 kit" secondhand but it was "new in box" and may have been without injectors. I do have resistors and maybe I should find large injectors then. But It not just injectors, one of the sensors did not give a reading on the pin 25 - 79 that should give ++Mega Ohm.

On top of this ... I cant find the second bolt that held the bracket so I am going to remove the starter and see now, worst case it is engine out but the clutch bearing is very noisy so its maybe time for this service anyway. The sensor wiring is also very brittle, may drop the engine and do a "major" am sure the car will give me more fun if I do everything right now.

Last edited by teveo; 02-06-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:19 AM
teveo
Advanced

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
With the maf kit, are you sure it is receiving the 12 volt ignition power? That can cause a start and die situation on maf equipped cars.
Definitly will check, it has been in and out of car. Any idea what pin it should be check at?

Last edited by teveo; 02-06-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:16 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't, it has been a very long time since I have messed with one of these with a maf. I know it gets power from the diagnostic port. John can tell you for sure, since it is his kit.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:53 PM
teveo
Advanced

I have too many parallell projects right now but trying to move forward, read that 72 lb injectors are the way to go with this MAF kit.

ACCEL injectors?
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...rs/parts/74616

Any other brands out there?
Old 08-15-2021, 07:56 AM
teveo
Advanced

Another year down, very little progress. I have ordered quite a few engine wiring connectors with pigtail and started to replace dry connectors. Also I have the TDC sensors but need to fish out that one bolt that fell into the bellhousing, starter is out and I "invested" in a $100 scope from Amazon and hope to find the bolt and use a magnet to extract it.

Another issue, the injectors. I understand the OEM does not work with the Vitesse MAF and I am looking for a set of injectors. Any experience using these siemes injectors?
https://www.siemensdekafuelinjectors...ev6-connector/
Old 10-21-2021, 04:36 PM
teveo
Advanced

Finally got new Bosch sensors, sensor harness and new 75# injectors, all set. The injectors are Siemens Deka FI11445 and seller flow matched the Injectors.

I have glued a .8 mm spacer to the old Bosch sensor, it is the D port that have to be used with the .8 gap when fixing the sensor bracket right?
The position B sensor is just drop in and torque to spec?

Anyone here that changed out sensor harness? If so did you splice the main harness or just tape or zip the new harness to the main harness and route it along?
The sensor harness I got from Lindsey Racing is well protected even braided protection and splitting the main harness seem to be a hazzle.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:33 PM
teveo
Advanced

New sensors, new sensor harness but still got the "crank, run 2 seconds then die" syndrome. DME relay is new, did the "hotwire" test as well, no news.
I am tired of old electronics and have ordered a VEMS kit from Peep in Estland. I also ordered wasted spark and some other sensors for oil and boost control.

Ok, at this stage I might get a Tial F38 and a #26/8 turbo as well, anyone selling?
Also looking for en original airbox to make the engine room look OEM.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:35 PM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Very cool. If I was where you’re at, I’d look into a Raptor turbo or an Evergreen hybrid turbo. Some nice improvements over the old school tech ( and I have a 26-8, fun but laggy) are available these days. Do you follow the Premier Turbo group on Facebook?
Old 11-05-2021, 04:54 AM
teveo
Advanced

Thanks I joined the facebook group but I am not very busy on facebook.

There is a 4-6 week waiting time on the VEMS and I will start removing the interior and sound deadening. Plan is to install sparco seats and a halfcage. The suspension bushings were all upgraded back some 5 years ago. I think the car has Bilstein shocks but have to verify. I am also tempted to order lexan windows from Plastics4performance, I have their windows in my 911 and they fit perfect in that model.

I have a question, it is about the instrument cluster. I have bought a german cluster with delivery mileage and wanted to install it in the car, it does fit fine and all connections are same.

My US cluster had a LED strip for instrumentation and it was kind of damaged when a former owner did that "upgrade".

When I took the cluster out I saw that there was a loose cable, I wonder if anyone has an idea where it go or a a good cluster wiring diagram? It goes to the rightmost connector.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:23 AM
teveo
Advanced

I got the WEMS kit after 12 weeks waiting time mid January. I also ordered a boost solenoid, ... still waiting. If I ever get that boost solenoid I's say I am "rather satisfied" with buying from vems.ee, thats it. This 951 is not my main interest as I bought it for racing late 2009 but then they changed the class rules and a turbo would not have been competitive. It's been standing with the odd run for 13 years.

Anyhow, I am finishing up the installation and since I had a Vitesse MAF my AFM harness was already cut. If I got this right the new air temperature sensor will got to use the solid green and the yellow/red cable from the wiring.

The original sensor diagram, only wiring 1 and 4 will be used.

22 SOLID GREEN and 6 YELLOW / RED

I will use a spare injector connector and connect directly to 22 (1) and 6 (4).

Green is easy, the upper yellows/red is pukegreen/red, the lower seem to be the yellow/red to use.

The plug for future reference, number 1 from left (DME #22) is where the GREEN go and number 4 from left is the YELLOW/RED (DME #6)

(From Clarks Garage)

Ignition: Then there is wasted spark, based on the pack I got I suppose we have red as switched voltage and black ground. The blue(or green) on the coil pack has to go to PIN 1 "ignition pulses on coil".

Happy for ANY input, the 951 is occupying my lift right now and I am trying to be effective.

Last edited by teveo; 02-12-2022 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:48 PM
teveo
Advanced

I connected the VEMS as per instructions and managed to calibrate the Wideband sensor and Throttle position, my initial thought about connecting the wasted spark seem to be wrong. I am pretty sure the two cables that came with the coil should go into #33 and #35 in the Vems ECU as per instructions. The red cable just have to go to the coil.

ECU and engine control and sensors .... It's a hard learning curve, I have always been working with carburettors, some MFI and the K-Jet in 911's. My only advantage right now is that I have been working with systems and development for the last 20+ years. I just have to read up and read up, we dont want burnt electronics.

http://www.vems.hu/manual/html/ch12s02.html

Quick Reply: Getting my 951 on the road again