Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Vented Nose Panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Wazuzu53
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Vented Nose Panel

I would like to get a vented nose panel for my car, and keep the original metal piece. I e-mailed Speed Force Racing because there website said they will cut your original nose piece for you. Unfortunately, they do not do this anymore. Does anyone know if someone still does this? Or am I stuck buying a fiberglass piece and having to pay for it to get painted?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

John Andersons' shop in San Diego cuts your panel for $150.
shipping on the other hand..
Old 01-19-2004, 01:10 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take your panel to a local bodyshop and tell them what you want or you could do it yourself
Old 01-19-2004, 11:33 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

the vented nose hurts your cars cooling.
it allows air that would be forced through the radiator and intercooler to flow through the least resistant area.
that would be the vent your putting on.

the best thing to do is seal off every port except for the radiator and the intercooler ports.
there are two other very low ports on each side of the car but they lead to the brakes to help cool them down.

the vented nose does look cool though.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by emwporsche
it allows air that would be forced through the radiator and intercooler to flow through the least resistant area.
i figured the air that would go through the the new vent would be air that would just go over the hood anyways. plus, you would put a duct to force the air across the intercooler instead of around it.

was this your guess, or is there actual temp testing and/or wind tunnel work that says another vent would rob air from the radiator. i see a lot of race prepped 951 with it and high engine temps are not favorable.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:00 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sterm, you are right, do it. I am about to do this but have made a new vent shroud out of al for it, got rid of the plastic one. Lots more air going through and forced through the IC. I also have a sprayer attached to the metal shroud...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Fen
Racer

the best thing to do is seal off every port except for the radiator and the intercooler ports.
there are two other very low ports on each side of the car but they lead to the brakes to help cool them down.
Based on what? I don't mean to be offensive but that sounds like the biggest load of BS I've heard in a long time.

You're driving your car through (for the sake of argument as it's close enough) an infinite amount of static air and the car is moving at relatively high speed. Having holes in the badge panel is not going to stop air going through all the other holes already in the front.

BTW I just had a regular body shop cut mine:
Old 01-20-2004, 07:20 AM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Getting hot air out from under the engin is just as important, especially in modern engins that have fully enclosed undertrays, the faster you can get the air out the faster it will come in throught any hole you can make. Ceramic coating on those headers anyone?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

My Dad and I both plan on doing this come Springtime. Probably just going to cut the vent(s) with a Dremel or the likes. Then we will cut and fold a thin piece of sheetmetal (aluminum probably) and place it between the header panel and the intercooler. Even with the cost of a Dremel, it should be a lot cheaper and just as effective than sending it out to a shop or tuner.

Plus it looks pretty damn cool.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Doc
Racer

FYI- I cut my own vent and got some black moulding trim for the local auto parts store that slips nicely over the bare metal edges, gives it a clean finished look.

Slimboy... as for venting "under hood" hot air some track guys I run with remove the thick rubber moulding along the top of the firewall in the back of the engine compartment and place some spacers on the hood mount brackets to lift the back of the hood about an inch or so to allow the hot air to vent over the windshield.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:08 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Lindsey racing has the coolist looking and probley best functioning scoop.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Real world numbers tell a better story than theoretical ones for this. Most of the folks I know that track their cars seem to like this mod pretty well, and swear it makes an improvement. I have run my old 951 back to back with a vented nose piece and a non vented nose piece and came to the same conclusion. I experienced no downside to the mod and my coolant temp was no higher than before.

One thing to note, I spent a good bit of time working on the duct for it. You definitely need to have a duct to route the air to the innercooler.

Regards,
Old 01-20-2004, 04:04 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

with an air duct leading to the intercooler I believe it would help quite a bit.
the more air the better.

I have seen a lot of race cars with them and I figured that they either had a bigger intercooler which they probabley do, or they have a duct leading to it.

I was refering to one without an air port.
why would the air go through a more resistant place (the intercooler) where the air is moving slower when it could go into the new nose panel and fly over the entire engine and out the back of the hood?

anyway, good luck - but make a duct.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was refering to one without an air port.
why would the air go through a more resistant place (the intercooler) where the air is moving slower when it could go into the new nose panel and fly over the entire engine and out the back of the hood?

anyway, good luck - but make a duct.
It would still be more air then not vented at all.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:44 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Doc
as for venting "under hood" hot air some track guys I run with remove the thick rubber moulding along the top of the firewall in the back of the engine compartment and place some spacers on the hood mount brackets to lift the back of the hood about an inch or so to allow the hot air to vent over the windshield.
I've read a lot of posts from people who claim their vented nose made obvious, positive difference. While I am undecided about the nose vent I am more concerned with the amount of heat generated by the turbo. I am surprised we have not discussed how we can improve on venting heat out from the engine bay. Placing one inch spacers at the back of the firewall to assist hot air escape makes sense. But esthetically it is not a palatable option for me. I wonder why Porsche over looked this critical issue? Perhaps a better idea would be to notch square holes alternating in s pattern along the top of the wirewall? This will allow the hood to remain aligned with rest of the body flow.

Quick Reply: 951 Vented Nose Panel