Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

best launch precedure for 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I get so sick of guys saying oh dont drag your car you are mean to it, or it will fall apart on you if you do. Just do what makes you happy. When a 17 year old part goes, replace it with a better one. So what a CV goes, buy a GHK ? unit, buy a better clutch to hold more power if it goes... all part of the excercise. In my experience I have owned 4 944's, they will break anyway cos they are old, driving fast will quicken that process (though I have not experienced any ill effects from my hard driving yet). You will get to that repair point anyway, get there having the fun you want.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:13 PM
951kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im replacing my CV joint now b/c of a few attempts to drag with my brother, who encouraged me, since he owned a 90 super coupe (blown V6) he was always bustn' my ***** about how much better off the line his car was, he was right.
look in an ad, the porsche is on the twisties, the american iron is on the 1/4 mile track, the car was made to be raced, just not launched, would you use a scisor to cut grass and lawnmower to shave your head, drive the car for what is was designed.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 PM
NZ951
Race Director

More... Why would an american car with wide open roads between states and conjestion in the city be built for 1/4 speed? All cars have to be modified to go fast over short distances.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:08 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

[I get so sick of guys saying oh dont drag your car you are mean to it, or it will fall apart on you if you do. Just do what makes you happy.
I'll second that.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I love that quote boostguy. I really do **** my pants when I hear honda ***** talk about v-tec being a sub for a turbo, oh and the cool noise the change in cam profile makes... bugger me. I lose it everytime.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

I totally agree with NZ951, especially the vtec thing.

951kid, launching is very important, even for race cars.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
tuna2
Advanced

The clutch/CV/ drivetrain are valid issues, but my biggest fear would be looking like a jackass.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:09 AM
95Lightning
Cruisin'

American cars break while drag racing too..... What a bunch of wimps!!! "I respect my car too much" LOL !!!

If something breaks it probable needed to be replaced anyway.... I dump the clutch at 3500-4000 all time and I have the original clutch at 128000 miles. I have been amazed with the times I have been getting with my Gtech....13.2s @ 112 MPH..... Bring on the Chevy V8 !!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:36 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NZ951
In my experience I have owned 4 944's, they will break anyway cos they are old,
I have no problems with your "fun philosophy" as long as your putting in the time and money. I am just as proud to state that after 4 years still on my very first "old" 944. Don't let anyone kid you I am enjoying this car as much if not more than you
Old 01-20-2004, 11:39 AM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 95Lightning
If something breaks it probable needed to be replaced anyway.... I dump the clutch at 3500-4000 all time and I have the original clutch at 128000 miles. I have been amazed with the times I have been getting with my Gtech....13.2s @ 112 MPH..... Bring on the Chevy V8 !!!!
Let us hope when the time comes for you to sell your abused car we will not make this connection
Old 01-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

951kid, launching is very important, even for race cars
That assumes that the listener considers drags to be "racing". I have to agree with how I've heard it put before- "Give me 15grand, a Jegs catalog, and your grandma's Buick, and I'll give you a 10sec car and have enough left to train a chimp to drive it." I don't consider dragging to be real racing as there is very little true skill involved. Don't even tell me that the "launch" is an essential skill. I seriously doubt Montoya would get wrapped up in the 1/4. NASCAR is only about an ameoba level up from dragging. It's just turn left and nail it.

We can get into an entire discussion about whether or not drag is racing, but the fact remains that dragging is very hard on equipment. The same equipment that was engineered from the start to be light and still be strong enough to do the job on a real track will most likely be broken by the brutal shock imparted in dragging. Fact of automotive life, live with it. If you want to drag, a road race part will most likely fail. That doesn't mean the road part is deficient, just that there are different design criteria. So, you pick your fun and pay the bills.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dave951M
Don't even tell me that the "launch" is an essential skill.
Hey Dave, ever notice how must forms of top level motor sports involve pit stops? How can launching not be an essential? I have watched numerous races won by getting out of the pits first.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:53 PM
95Lightning
Cruisin'

Originally posted by EZRider
Let us hope when the time comes for you to sell your abused car we will not make this connection

First your a fool for calling my well cared for car abused.... I bet it is in better shape mechanically than yours!

Second you have nothing to worry about because I have never sold a car that I have owned and probable never will.

Third Porsche's are engineered and built to run hard, and if you are not running one hard, what a waste!!!

I always drive them like I stole them.
Marshall Werst
Old 01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
95Lightning
Cruisin'

Originally posted by EZRider

First your a fool for calling my well cared for car abused.... I bet it is in better shape mechanically than yours!

Second you have nothing to worry about because I have never sold a car that I have owned and probable never will.

Third Porsche's are engineered and built to run hard, and if you are not running one hard, what a waste!!!

I always drive them like I stole them.
Marshall Werst
Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 95Lightning
Alright Marshall, where are the pictures? Let's see some of your exterior, interior and engine compartment. Confident enough to take this challenge?

Quick Reply: best launch precedure for 951