Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electric Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim - are you referring to what the 5.0 guys call an aftercooler?
Old 01-16-2004, 01:00 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The heads of those Scandinavians are just too cool (pun intended).

To expand a little on Thomas L’s calculations: 36360 W = 8684 cal/sec, which is the amount of power absorbed during the evaporation of 16 grams/second of water (540 cal/g liquid/gas latent heat).
So 16 g/s of water does the same as 2796 ampere (in a 13V system) 100% dedicated to cooling.

It is hard to make a better argument for water injection.

Laust
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This cooler that some friends are working on incorporates water injection...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water+electricity
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thomas,

I thought the same thing until I seen it actually work! Apparently, it is using Pelteirs to do the cooling. We are not selling the unit or anything like that but I thought how the technology was adapted to this application was pretty neat and I wanted to investigate it further.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that the intercooler is not a ‘steady state’ device. If you apply continuous but low level cooling to a good heat sink (intercooler) you do not have to design the system to deal with peak loads. A street car has fairly low long term (average) cooling requirements and if you precool a good mass you can deal with the short term peak demands.
This doesn’t work well with track cars!
One application I though of for the solid state devices was to use a liquid to air intercooler with a remote tank being cooled by the electrical coolers. This would allow for a very damped (sorry for the pun!) response. Again – this will work well for a street car as you are creating a significant thermal cooling mass (all the water and the intercooler) so the peak demands can be dealt with efficiently.
Just a thought!!
For the track the real answer is simple – big is better for intercoolers!

Chris White
Old 01-16-2004, 02:18 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

I've only heard rumors about these things and never really thought they were for real... could you post photos of this and maybe a dyno chart??

Thanks,
-Kevin
Old 01-17-2004, 03:22 AM
RAPID944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Electric Intercooler

Originally posted by TurboTim
A friend of mine approached me awhile back with the idea of using an electric intercooler on his supercharged 5.0. This intercooler uses electricity from the alternator(30amps) to cool the charge air.I thought it was a bunch of crap and offered to build a nice air to air set-up for cheaper then what this electric intercooler would cost.

So anyways, he shows up two months later with the electric intercooler installed, apparently he didnt want the air to air setup;^)So I check it out.The piping is pretty hokey but to my surprise the electric intercooler seems to be working pretty well! It comes with a digital temp gauge wired to the unit but I want to install my own gauge in the intake manifold to be certain what the temp is. The car was driven hard and the temps stayed below 85F.Ambient air temp was about 80F today.

Now this is on a V-8 that makes about 500 at the wheels (at 13psi) so I wonder what it could do on our little four bangers? There is also a freezing option which can lower the temp to 32F. My friend is upgrading to this option. We are going to be doing some testing to see if this is for real.
You mean somthing like that?

Quick Reply: Electric Intercooler