Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Street Racing Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:53 AM
Stuttgartuner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Racing Accident

I went looking for trouble and found it. I went to the local "street races" with a couple of buddies. After a challange from a Civic hatch I couldn't resist. We lined up and I smoked him, I hit about 100 mph before backing off. He pulled up to me when I stopped and said he wanted to run again, I said no thanks. He said how about for another 20 bucks, I said okay.
We lined up and I pulled in the lead for about a second, and then he blew past me (nitrous?) I continued along looking for a place to turn around on the empty road.
I applied the brakes and began to turn into a parking lot. I was still moving pretty fast as I entered,
I hit a sanded spot on the shoulder and started to slide. The slide took me over the curb and into a sign.

I broke even on the money but messed up my baby.
I know this was close to the stupidest thing I have ever done. Maybe bad karma....I don't know...Maybe just dumb.
The moral of the story is....don't race, or at least win and don't crash your car.
THe Honda was running a GSR motor? Acura? with plenty of modifications and really loud "race" exhaust not like most of the imports with the fart style mufflers. He was quick.

In addition I am looking for a passenger side front fender for an 86 951.
If you have one please feel free to e-mail me. <porschesgofast@yahoo>
Old 01-13-2004, 03:05 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I feel your pain man. I didn't wreck my car, but I did skip timing and basically destroy the head while street racing. Try not to let it get you down, I've done way dumber things than what you did. Be careful going to Organized street races though, its very easy for things to get out of hand there. Its probly even more dangerous to be a spectator. Every time I've been to the street races here, I see Morons lineing up on the outer stripe of the road while cars fly by at 100+ MPH.

Upgrade thy turbo, and keep the words in my sig close to your heart!

Just be careful.

BTW, put on your Nomex suit.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:20 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear about your incident. Why not attend few Driver Schools at the track. You learn how to drive your car at the limits, go plenty fast in a controlled environment. Best of all, you probably will never street race again, as you learn to identify all the stupid things that can go wrong on the street.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:27 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... who really cares about the money. You're racing a Honda Civic for $20 and you consider that an acceptable risk? (..you might as well be racing a Saturn or Geo Metro).

$2,000 maybe, but $20? Is that what you value your license, car, and all your personal assets worth? Come on...

We all run 'em hard on the street and mess around, but going to the street races with that crowd that you are hanging around with, and risking everything for a measly $20 bucks makes me feel like these cars are worth that of a Civic. No more no less. That's the league you put us in.

No wonder kids are buying these cars for $5k-$6k. wow.... depressing.

Grow up.

TonyG
Old 01-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TonyG - I am shocked that the posts prior to yours are so kind.

I am with you plus some more, I see street racing as, quite possibly, the dumbest thing on the planet. You risk everyone else as well as yourself.

For reference:
I was a junior in college when two of my buddies thought it would be "Cool" to street race a guy in a Mustang. As they were tearing down the road a regular person, who didnt see them (over 100MPH at night, no headlights, lit street) pulled out into the street and got tagged. The impact of my friends car tore the car he hit in half, killing the driver of the other car instantly. Both the driver and passenger of the car that did the hitting were in the hospital for 3 weeks. The guy in the Mustang took off and left them to die (one of my proud moments was turning him in, when I saw why he was being looked for). In all 4 lives ruined, I dead passer by, and nothing gained. That is 100% true, wish I still had the pics to show.

How many people have to wreck cars, kill others, or die themselves before people realize how absolutely ignorant their actions are.

I hope for your sake you learned some lesson from what you did. Be glad that it was a sign on the other side of that median and not a family.

As politely as this can be taken, you are a dumbass.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:18 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wow Wow Wow!!! STREET RACING IS JUST STUPID. It doesn't matter if it's for $1, $20 or $2000. It doesn't matter if you are driving a Porsche and the other guy a Ferrari or a Honda. When things go bad, it doesn't matter who you are, how much money you have, and the type of car you drive. When there is the possibility to get hurt or hurt someone else, just because it sounds fun, it's plain STUPID.

If you want to prove that you have a fast car and that you are a good driver, go to the track. You'll be surprised when you find out: (a) how terrible of a driver you are (b) how a minute mistake can cause a huge wreck (c) speed is much more fun when you are in control
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I remember back in Puerto Rico, we would race anywhere Wednesday night and Sat close to the Goya factory)... I am positive that is still the case today, but more and more I hear folks using the race tracks for this... I believe that the tracks have scheduled nights for the general public... you pay something like 10-20.00 and have fun in a control/safer environment.

Not worth the risks involved to do it in the streets... (but I have to confess I was one reckless sob when I was younger... )

Mortality kicks in as you get older... at least for some...
Old 01-13-2004, 03:47 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree about street racing, but at this point, I think he's probably learned his lesson.

I used to street race as well when I was young, though never for money. I learned my lesson without anybody getting hurt when a guy I was racing (and beat) wouldn't take his loss and kept going after I let off (we had like several miles of clear unobstructed 4-lane highway) for traffic about a mile ahead. He nearly hit one and almost put his car off into the ditch in the median. I decided there and then that it was enough. As I learned more and started doing racing on the track through my driving school and such, I became very keenly aware at just how bad everyone else around me was on the road. How badly they paid attention, how they wouldn't brake until they were in a corner and would nearly lose it, and so forth. I knew people were bad drivers, but it really didn't dawn on me until then just how bad. The clincher came when I saw on the news that in a town near here that an RX-7 and a 3000GT were racing and the 3kGT lost control, hit a minivan and it tore the 3kGT in half, killed both of the occupants of that vehicle and the family in the minivan. The RX-7 did the same as the Mustang above, he disappeared. However that road is travelled pretty well and police were able to track down and arrest the driver who was charged with vehicular homicide as he was at least in part responsible for the fact that the other guy was racing him.

Now, in many states because of deaths, street racing isn't just a ticket, it is a felony. IE prison time if they want to throw the book at you. I'll bet most kids doing street racing even in these states probably don't know its a felony or forget about it until its too late. Kid in FL IIRC killed his own mother street racing when he hit her car from behind as she changed into his lane and he couldn't stop. That's gotta be the worst possible way to learn this lesson.

The point above is terribly valid. $20 or even $2000 isn't worth your car, your life, or anything else you have. There are places you can go where safety is checked and innocents are safely out of the way. Here we can go to the Bristol dragstrip and run there for $10 and they have it a couple of nights a week if you feel the need to prove your car. As I've mentioned above, you have no idea who these piddlebrains on the street are that come up and want to race you. You don't know their experience, if they're willing to wreck you to win, or really what kind of shape their car is in. And nowadays if they screwed up with you racing them, you can be held liable for their deaths or injury to others or others property, something you really, really don't want to go to jail for.

You've learned a valuable lesson. There are better ways and better places to enjoy pitting yourself against other people. Now you must use that knowledge wisely.

Good luck in getting your car fixed.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:56 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Andrew, well said!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:15 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I have never engage in street racing for money. I have from time to time exceed the national speed limit Yes I am guilty of that. But have I learned my lesson hard, a speed contest ticket and almost $ 1000.00 in fines and a 3 year probation. My insurance sky rocketed. Yes I was young and stupid but the race wasn't for money, wasn't even a race, it was for glory and pride. I wasn't about to let that mother on the vette pass me not in his life time.

And yes I was lucky that happen many years ago before the fast and the furious generation, otherwise I would be writting this post from jail.

Luis
Old 01-13-2004, 09:07 PM
K27
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear you messed up your car, I guess the lesson is this.
I have a fender in good shape, you can have it for a $100 bucks plus the shipping.
let me know
lance.mason@dccnet.com

ps I also have doors and a hood ffrom an 86 951
Old 01-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not to keep bring down this forum. The one and only time I ever street raced I was with my friend in high school in his Mustang 5.0 and was racing another friend in his Mustang 5.0. Well, we went bombing down the curviest back road you can imagine. My friend went flying off the road into a large tree that didn't give. The tree hit the corner of the bummer and took the fender, door and convertible top off the car. A few more inches to the left and the car would have stoped in its tracks and my best friends would have been dead.
I learned my lesson at a young age and since then I just keep it on the track. I have to many things going for me now. Don't risk your life my friend or the lives of others around you. Keep it safe. - Jay Gratton
Old 01-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Stuttgartuner
Intermediate

THanks for your posts. My intention with this thread was to give you my lesson so others would avoid this mistake. I understand that it was stupid (I said that earlier). I love it when you guys say it over and over, I already feel like an idiot, thanks.
Anyways, be careful and I'll be keeping it on the track from now on.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:42 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

lol....well, if you watch this forum long, you'll notice whenever anyone posts about street racing, it generallly degenerates quickly into an ugly situation.

I felt I should post and try to change the tone of the post a bit (thanks fast951!) and try to put a bit of a friendlier spin on it. I think most people here have admitted to doing stupid things too and we will again, but maybe not in the same area. Plenty of other things we can do stupid stuff in! Most people here are also quite opinionated (hey, we own 20 year old Porsches instead of much newer cars and we also spend our lives reading and replying on Rennlist...lol), so if you hit a nerve, things go wild. Same as they do on the CG forums I frequent. Don't let it get under your skin, the internet can make things feel very impersonal and make it easier to take things in unintentional ways.

Just keep watch...in another year you'll be the one saying stupid when the next person comes around and says they were street racing!

Take care and it's good that you got out of it without getting hurt or any kind of fine/jail time. Bad enough to injure the car you love, even worse when you get insult/injury added to it.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:31 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Street racing is pretty dumb, but sometimes you find yourself getting involved anway. But no way in hell would I race for $20! I'd tell the guy to go back to his car before I throw him through it. I just wouldn't risk my car jumping the timing, blowing a hg, or killing a person. You may be in control of your car but you have idiots who watch the races that might walk right into the race.

Quick Reply: Street Racing Accident