Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running super rich - smoke test?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:17 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Running super rich - smoke test?

First off a thumbs up to Joshua at Rogue and Joe at Focus9 for sorting out my rev issue with my Rogue DME. Also for setting me up with a new chip. Unfortunately the car still runs pig rich.
I have tried pressurizing the system to find leaks, and I sealed up a bunch of them. TB has been rebuilt and Im gaskets are new. I have eliminated the ISV and still seem to have issues running rich.
Bypass valve is new. Stock Turbo rebuilt by Evergreen. All vacuum hoses replaced. Lindsey WG. still 10-1 AFR at WOT. I did a leakdown and comp test. Comp numbers were spot on and leakdown was 2%!
I only see 13 to 14 in/hg at idle, should be better than that.

I don't know what else to do?

I have a smoke tester at work. Where do I inject the smoke, what do I need to plug? I'm at my wits end with this car. It uses so much fuel, I am probably hurting the motor by washing the cylinder walls.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

how are AFRs everywhere else?
do you have the Tuner or just logger?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:59 PM
DarrenD
Racer

I only have a logger but I cant get it to work.

AFR's are Ok everywhere else. Idle is good, steady state cruise is good. WOT is 10-1 or worse(My AEM only registers 10-1)

Boost level doesn't matter - 9 lbs or 16 lbs it's 10-1. Loads of black smoke and stink. I am really at my wits end. I don't know what else I can do.

And I'm running a 2.5 bar FPR.

With pressure testing today I seem to be getting a leak from the AOS and the oil cap. It takes about 30 seconds to leak back down to 0 psi on the gauge.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:29 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I only have a logger but I cant get it to work.

AFR's are Ok everywhere else. Idle is good, steady state cruise is good. WOT is 10-1 or worse(My AEM only registers 10-1)

Boost level doesn't matter - 9 lbs or 16 lbs it's 10-1. Loads of black smoke and stink. I am really at my wits end. I don't know what else I can do.

And I'm running a 2.5 bar FPR.

With pressure testing today I seem to be getting a leak from the AOS and the oil cap. It takes about 30 seconds to leak back down to 0 psi on the gauge.
If boost is leaking from the AOS and oil fill cap, that indicates blowby through the rings or intake valvestem seals. 30 seconds sounds relatively normal if you start at 15 psi. I like to pressurize the intake by 5 psi above your set boost level to highlight the smaller leaks. Also, if you have good results from a boost leak test, start looking elsewhere. Have you tried adjusting the FQS switch?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 PM
DarrenD
Racer

I did adjust the FQS. I am at setting 6 which pulls 11% fuel(Rogue DME).

I thought the motor was healthy based on the comp test and leakdown but I am having trouble pressurizing to 15psi. I can only get 8psi. before my testing setup itself starts to leak.
I can definitely hear a strong leak coming from the AOS. Maybe I do need a rebuild?

I will endeavour to smoke test the car this week.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:08 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I did adjust the FQS. I am at setting 6 which pulls 11% fuel(Rogue DME).

I thought the motor was healthy based on the comp test and leakdown but I am having trouble pressurizing to 15psi. I can only get 8psi. before my testing setup itself starts to leak.
I can definitely hear a strong leak coming from the AOS. Maybe I do need a rebuild?

I will endeavour to smoke test the car this week.
8 psi isn't much, is your air compressor large enough? Also, make sure the engine is NOT at TDC since one cylinder will have both valves slightly open and boost will leak straight out of the exhaust.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

on the AEM gauge make sure it has a very good, clean ground and power source.
i had all kinds of gremlins with mine (showing 10:1 AFR constantly...), even sent it in to AEM for check out and service it was so screwy...until i got it a better ground than I had been using.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You may have a pressure/vacuum leak around the M-Tune intake tube to the turbo. Check for leaks around the silicone couplers. Are you still using the old plastic M-Tune tube? If so, swap it for the LR aluminum M-Tune tube and that may solve your problems.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a ground issue. I'd start by measuring voltage drop at the neg battery terminal and work my way to the block. I've seen it be the cause pretty frequently on our cars.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by bw993
You may have a pressure/vacuum leak around the M-Tune intake tube to the turbo. Check for leaks around the silicone couplers. Are you still using the old plastic M-Tune tube? If so, swap it for the LR aluminum M-Tune tube and that may solve your problems.
Really? That's interesting. Is the plastic one porous?
I know there are no leaks around the couplers, I checked them all yesterday.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Could be a ground issue. I'd start by measuring voltage drop at the neg battery terminal and work my way to the block. I've seen it be the cause pretty frequently on our cars.
I've redone all my grounds. Checked for voltage issues, all good now. That was not a fun exercise.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
on the AEM gauge make sure it has a very good, clean ground and power source.
i had all kinds of gremlins with mine (showing 10:1 AFR constantly...), even sent it in to AEM for check out and service it was so screwy...until i got it a better ground than I had been using.
Mine is spot on everywhere else but WOT. PT cruising, idle, all good. Power source and ground are good.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Did it ever run right? If not, are you sure about the set up? Are the maps tuned for your injectors, maf, FPR and fuel? Seems like something is off if you are pulling fuel via the FQS and 2.5 FPR and are still at 10:1... Sure you're not on an E85 map by mistake, or running the wrong injectors? Data logs of the MAF voltage would be useful too...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:01 AM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Did it ever run right? If not, are you sure about the set up? Are the maps tuned for your injectors, maf, FPR and fuel? Seems like something is off if you are pulling fuel via the FQS and 2.5 FPR and are still at 10:1... Sure you're not on an E85 map by mistake, or running the wrong injectors? Data logs of the MAF voltage would be useful too...
Joshua just gave me a new chip for my setup. The car ran ok with all the stock parts in place but the turbo was worn out so I had it rebuilt.

I agree Tom , I'd love to get the datalogger working, it was extremely useful on my SC car. I have it hooked up but I cant seem to get it to connect. I'm going to work on getting it to function and get some logs.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 PM
lincolnturns
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PMed ya - having similar issues getting data logger connected.

Quick Reply: Running super rich - smoke test?