Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 PM
TruckerJoe28
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues

Hi guys, I have an '86 944 turbo with an idle problem.

I just finished a big project where I replaced:
  • Timing Belt and associated rollers/pulleys
  • Balance Shaft Belts and associated rollers/pulleys
  • Front Engine Seals
  • Vacuum Lines (including venturi delete)
  • Exhaust manifold gaskets
  • Flexible fuel lines to the rail
  • Everything from the coil to the plugs
Now that the pieces are back together, the car won't idle, and it will only run (roughly) if I keep the throttle slightly open. I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting thus far:
  • Fuel pressure in specs at rail
  • Fuel flow adequate
  • Pressure drop from each injector is identical using tester
  • Injectors cleaned out, nothing noteworthy in spray pattern
  • Strong spark in each cylinder
  • Good compression in each cylinder (for a cold engine, at least)
  • Triple-checked timing . . . still good
  • AFM & TPS check good
  • ICV/ISV cycles with 12 volts applied
  • Checked for vacuum leaks
I'm out of ideas. Since it ran fine before I messed with it, and based on the troubleshooting I've done so far, I'm guessing maybe there's an issue with the vacuum plumbing. I used Lindsey Racing's vacuum diagram when I replaced the lines and removed the venturi. The only thing that wasn't explicitly clear was the configuration of the HVAC lines, but I imagine they wouldn't be consequential. Regardless, I attached the modified picture to show how I did it.

Any other components you think I ought to test? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I once replaced intake manifold gaskets and accidentally left an old gasket on one of the cylinders. I put another gasket over it. I had a slight intake leak and it ran super roughly and wouldn't idle just like you describe it... I would double check you don't have an intake vacuum leak. Put a slight pressure on the intake section and listen for air. Next I would check electrical connections once again.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Def pressure test. And def plug aos hose from j boot when you do. Soapy water in spray bottle to make some bubbles.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM
TruckerJoe28
6th Gear

Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I took the intake manifold off and triple-checked all the vacuum lines, and then performed a pressure test. I didn't find anything conclusive. Just a bit of leaking from the CV, which I gather is typical.

However, now the car won't start at all. No spark. Battery is fully charged, and I cleaned all grounds. Fuel pump is operating, and I'm getting good pressure at the rail. 12 volts are getting to the injector harness with the ignition on, Noid light remains stubbornly off when cranking, no fuel smell.

Interestingly, there's also no tach bounce, but I don't suspect the speed/reference sensors. They were allowing the engine to run before I did the pressure test. Resistance checked good, but I don't have a scope to test them further. They are also relatively new and I didn't mess with them at all in the previous work.

I'm beginning to think the DME computer is faulty. Any other ideas before I go down that road?

Thanks again for the assistance.

-Joe
Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ICV they are notorious for vac leaks in the body of the valve. Big hit on the wallet.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Does the boost gauge jump to "1" when you turn the ignition on? If not, that's a good clue the DME/KLR may not be getting power (check the relay?). If you have no tach bounce, I'd take a look at the speed/ref sensors anyway -- peek under all 4 rubber boots for signs of frayed wires. And/or wiggle them while cranking. The sensors may be new but the harness connectors are probably 30+ years old... I hear you that they seemed to work before, but no harm in inspecting under the boots...
Old 08-30-2018, 07:13 AM
TruckerJoe28
6th Gear

gpr8er, I tested the ICV by cycling it with voltage applied to the different terminals. I heard good, positive movements from the internal valve. Didn't notice any leaking from the outside during the pressure test. Is there any way to check that further?

Tom, the boost gauge does indeed indicate pressure when I turn the ignition on. I'll mess with the sensor harness some.

Thanks, guys!

-Joe
Old 08-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

If you have no fuel, no spark, and no tach bounce, then I would put all effort on that rather than ISV's, vacuum leaks, etc. If you like to play the odds, definitely check the speed/ref sensor harness. You might also open the DME and look for cracked solder joints.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

If your car ran fine before your initial work, it seems these issues come from removing and replacing all that stuff. I'd say you've missed something during re-assembly each time (ex. plugging in a large vac line to the J-boot, plugging in a sensor wire, etc). There's always a lot of stuff to re-assemble. Been there, done that. It doesn't seem like you've got a bad part per se, certainly not DME or major part, assuming the car ran fine before the work
Old 09-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would look at the speed/ref sensors, harness and DME/KLR as Tom mentioned. If your harness is not in the best of shape and you started moving the harness around chances are it may have broke a connection. Very common issue.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
If your car ran fine before your initial work, it seems these issues come from removing and replacing all that stuff. I'd say you've missed something during re-assembly each time (ex. plugging in a large vac line to the J-boot, plugging in a sensor wire, etc). There's always a lot of stuff to re-assemble. Been there, done that. It doesn't seem like you've got a bad part per se, certainly not DME or major part, assuming the car ran fine before the work
- What he said and he just went through this same thing. Remember all it takes is one frayed wire to short to another on the injector harness and it will take them all down.. and the in doing all that work you obviously disturbed 30 year old brittle wires... Double check them..
Old 09-09-2018, 06:55 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your distributor rotor. I had one have the screw back out and start spinning. It will still have spark, fuel pulse and everything tested out. Took off the cap and found the rotor screw loose in the cap. But I just read you don’t have fuel pulse now. Yep back to the harness.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TruckerJoe28
gpr8er, I tested the ICV by cycling it with voltage applied to the different terminals. I heard good, positive movements from the internal valve. Didn't notice any leaking from the outside during the pressure test. Is there any way to check that further?
Is your DME making the ICV cycle? Easiest way to check this is to turn the ignition key on but don't start the engine. If you can feel the ICV vibrating then your DME is making it cycle. If not, then you've probably found the problem.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues