Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help with Greddy Profec B II

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 PM
lou951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Greddy Profec B II

I installed a Greddy Profec B II on my 951. It is plumbed to a Tial wastegate. I installed it as per instructions, COM port to top of wastegate and the NC port to the pressurized side of the turbo. This I did by tapping a port to the intercooler tube near the banjo fitting as per Greddy's recommendation. No matter how I set it, it overbossts to well past 25 psi. I tried hooking it up various ways but nothing. I even switched and tried all different port configurations on the valve unit. The wastegate is brand new and the same thing was happening with the previuos wastegate. I even went as far as exchanging the controller but same results. Has anybody installed one of these?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:30 AM
mochman
Pro

do a search you might have the lines on the wg reversed which will cause that prob.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:56 AM
lou951
Instructor

lines are correct, I think that it is a signal problem. Somehow not getting the correct pressure to the side port of the WG.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:13 AM
MySwiss
Pro

I have one. It works good, but I find it's more trouble then the regular Profec B. It always needs constant ajusting. But I didn't get to play with it much beffore the winter.

As for the installation, I have my banjo line going to a T fitting, which splits the pressure signal to the Tial side port and the nc port on the Greddy.
The top port is connected to the com port of the Greddy

My Greddy is also connected to my Autometer boost gauce line,as per instruction.

With this set up, the car never over boost,unless I forget to turn the boost controller on.

I have issues,though,with boost fluctuation,whenever I stooped the car and get back in 30 min latter. I have to play with the settings,to get it to run like it did 30 min ago.

I will look into that this coming spring

Hope this helps
Old 01-11-2004, 06:23 PM
lou951
Instructor

That's how I had mine installed originally, but after speaking with Greddy they suggested that I give the NC port it's own feed. Still the same results: wicked boost. I will try and play with the settings some more. You just enlightened me a bit by stating that it should be on. After I reinstalled it, I left all the settings at 0 to test what I supposed is a non-controlled setting, let the wastegate spring do its work. Maybe I should dial in some boost. I'll keep you posted. If it doesn't work I will put the manual boost controller back in, "old reliable". I still have to install the digital MAF conversion and 55# injectors from Guru that I purchaesd a while back, but I want to have a reliable boost curve first.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Get in touch with Evil944. He has a unit that is functioning fine, perhaps he can shed some light on the installation.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Does the new B-spec II have DIP swithes like the original Profec B? If so, I had to set my differently than per the (Japanese) manual. Once those were set, it held boost rock steady.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:22 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Tom M'Guinn

What dip settings did you end up useing, on the back of the controler?

I'm haveing the same problems with my profec b.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:32 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

The spec II shouldn't have dip settings. I am currently having a similar problem with mine, sometimes I get a full 15psi, sometimes stuck at 13psi...I was beginning to wonder if I had a boost leak but your story makes me feel a little better, if not a bit more angry. Please keep me posted about what you find. I'll have to put a call into Greddy tonight myself. I've messed with the settings so much, I'm worried about it. And it ran perfect for a good 4-6 months after I first installed it, but I just recently had it out of the car and back in to do some changes to the radio, so I'm wondering if it's a connection issue at the back of the unit...however, if you're overboosting, I'd think something else was the problem, as default should only allow the wastegate spring to dictate boost unless the lines are hooked up wrong.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:41 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Any feedback concerning the spec 2 , would be appreciated, since I know the spec 1 ran great. But the spec 2, I find myself reajusting the settings, way to often.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:50 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

That's pretty irritating, I had just figured it was a problem with my car. I can't even get consistency out of the settings...one run I'll pop a full 15 and the next time I get on it I get stuck with 13psi...I'd hate to have dropped nearly $500 for a p.o.s. that doesn't work properly.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:00 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Come on guys. There's got to be more then 4 Rennlisters with a Profec B spec 2. Give us your feedback.

Does it run like it should?

Do you consistantly have to play with the settings,in order to keep your pre-set boost.

Anyone!!!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:50 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Hello...anyone (other than me and MySwiss) run into this problem or do I need to hit the Supra, 300zx, and DSM sites for input?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:00 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

What are you're DIP settings on the controller for PROFEC B, what the web site suggest's does not work over boosting all the time.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Spec II doesn't have DIP as mentioned earlier, so no luck there.

Quick Reply: Need help with Greddy Profec B II