Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coolant Spewing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Spewing

on my 1987 951 I noticed when doing an oil change that the current filter was very moist with anti-freeze on it. The hose directly next to the oil filter looked like it was bleeding, until today when I let the car run a bit and then watched coolant literally pouring out of that same hose. I shut the car off immediately and eventually it either fully drained out or no more fluid was being pushed through there. Is that a simple hose replacement or something much bigger? Didn't look that easy to get access to either. Right under the distributor cap area.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Aside from the above questions.. is there somewhere to get that replacement hose like an auto store. Just so I don't have to wait for shipping and can at least get it back on the road. Right now I can't drive it.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Part is about $10 from Porsche, item #11 below, buy one from your nearest Porsche dealer or online from Sunset. I doubt you will find a match at your local parts store as the ends are different diameters and the angle is not common.

Btw you can look parts up yourself on PET instead of asking here every time

Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

I did see that diagram and I was uncertain if it was hose #11. W/o seeing all the other parts in the engine I wasn't sure. Thanks, I'll try Porsche to see if it's something they have on hand.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:59 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Petilli
I did see that diagram and I was uncertain if it was hose #11. W/o seeing all the other parts in the engine I wasn't sure. Thanks, I'll try Porsche to see if it's something they have on hand.
#11 is directly under the distributor cap, taking the cap off makes it slightly easier to change but it’s the oil filter that really gets in the way.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM
steven74
Instructor

I would also suggest looking at replacing pipe #12 at the same time as mine was very corroded and thin.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Ideally I'd look to replace all of those hoses. For now the car is not driveable w/o the one hose. I'd love to be able to fix this today/tomorrow, but it's not looking like I'm going to be able to get the replacement in time. I'm going to call my mechanic to see if he has it laying around in inventory just to get me going. If not, I'll just order it or the entire replacement kit.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

I did take a closer look at this specific hose yesterday and I know I have to remove the turbo pipe to get to the bottom portion of that hose's clamp. The top clamp of the hose is adjacent to the oil filter and not just below the distributor cap, but that entire housing. Any tips for getting to that? I know to remove the distributor cap, but that's only going to help just a tad. Should I just snip the entire clamp and not mess with trying to remove via the screw?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Might help to snap a picture of what you're looking at. Not sure what you mean by 'turbo pipe" and exactly which hose you are replacing... The diagram above appears to be for the non-turbo motor, but if you are after the #11 hose in that diagram, it can help to loosen the two bolts holding the heater pipe along the base of the cam tower (and might as well replace the hose at the back of that pipe). Straight razors make getting old hoses off much easier than trying to twist and pull. Sockets and wrenches sometimes provide access to hose clamp bolts where screwdrivers don't fit.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have spark plug boot pliers they work really well for getting to hose #11 with everything in place.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

I was able to get both top and bottom clamps loosened and got the hose off w/o cutting. Just wiggling here and there, but finally got it off. All I had to remove was the turbo pipe, but had to do that anyway to get to change my spark plugs. New hose comes today so hopefully getting it back on won't be painful. A long screwdriver would have been a big help, but I managed.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Billy Petilli
Advanced

Got everything back on with no issues. I let the car run 10 mins and the hose held up and no leaks. What I don't understand is the coolant tank. How much fluid should be in there when the car is off and cold? The min/max lines on that tank are along the top right side of the tank and not along the side to show it up and down.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Trilogy8
Intermediate

This is also a bit confusing to me too. I filled the reservoir tank up between the min and max. Drove the car a bit and today the tank isn’t showing that amount in it. I have no leaks and the car temp gauge didn’t go past half at any point. So either I have a problem other than a leak or this tank is behaving as it should and I just don’t understand the methodology. Not sure if I should fill it again.

Quick Reply: Coolant Spewing