Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Losing grounds...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 04:37 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Losing grounds...?

The other day I helped out a friend on a US spec '86 customer car. We fixed some problem with the hatch mechanism, an oil leak and went through the wiring to convert it to Euro spec front fog/driving lights, working out the subtle and slightly confusing harness differences in the relay/fuse box between ROW and US spec cars. The car was stock engine-wise, and remarkably clean regarding some bolts that are usually always rusty and out of use on Euro spec cars (like the four inner screws holding the batwing to the plastic wheel wells).
I then started the car to move it around and was absolutely shocked how miserable the engine responded. The throttle response was so poor I could not help feel there was something wrong with it, when in fact some proper driving showed it was just running the way it should.

This brings me to the point of this post - are there folks out there who really buy such cars out of enthusiam for their standard behaviour?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

getting out of your 3.0L MAF car into a totally stock 2.5 AFM must feel like running with a parachute...
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Bone stock, with weak old wastegates and stuffy cats, etc., these cars can be a bit underwhelming. Mine was a real slow poke when I got it with 32k miles. That said, with some thoughtful upgrades, even a 2.5L turbo can be mighty impressive. Crazy Eddie's car, with early Vitesse MAF and turbo, is stoopid fast. Other than the new collector crowd starting to form around low mile cars, I think most people buy these cars for what they can be, rather than for what they are...
Old 05-29-2018, 05:43 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My 86 2.5L back in 93-95 was very quick. It would pull off under 14 secs in a quarter mile at 1000ft elevation with only an Allan Johnson chip I put in at MCL Porsche in Vancouver.
I test drove an 87 a few years later and that was super slow compared to mine. The stock re-circ valve used to be a problem and would fail open which is what made the 87 I test drove terribly slow.
My guess is there is something not quite right with the car you drove.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
My 86 2.5L back in 93-95 was very quick. It would pull off under 14 secs in a quarter mile at 1000ft elevation with only an Allan Johnson chip I put in at MCL Porsche in Vancouver.
I test drove an 87 a few years later and that was super slow compared to mine. The stock re-circ valve used to be a problem and would fail open which is what made the 87 I test drove terribly slow.
My guess is there is something not quite right with the car you drove.
What's a re-circ valve?
Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Like the ones Lindsey Racing sells....also the stock one.

I've seen stock ones fail and it makes the car sluggish.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:02 PM
BHaas35
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I really must ride in someone's 3.0. Mine is bone stock 87....I think it is somewhat quick. Of course, it is nothing compared to my BMW S1000rr or modified Cayenne TTS with 650hp. I was going to be one of those collector folks you speak of but then I bought that 3.0 block. Still have yet to decide what I am going to do.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by gruhsy

Like the ones Lindsey Racing sells....also the stock one.

I've seen stock ones fail and it makes the car sluggish.
Ahh.. I know this as the BOV. How do you test it again? My car has always felt quick on boost but dog slow off idle.... though I understand the chips fix that
Old 06-01-2018, 06:50 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

As said, this car was running the way it should. It's just that the stock mapping is miserable.

Originally Posted by BHaas35
Now I really must ride in someone's 3.0.
$lippery $lope... The first Porsche I4 3L turbo engine I experienced was a factory 968 turbo S.
Even if they were the original 3L turbo engine on this car platform and even if it is not too difficult to make a better configuration of this engine these days, the first time you experience that kind of low down torque is unforgettable.

Last edited by Thom; 06-01-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never felt a stock 944t, the most stock i felt was with a set of chips, TiAL 38mm gate and a new recirc valve. That didn't feel bad at all though on 10psi.
I think the gate and re circ valve really helps.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:27 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

I never liked the stock one and have not taken one apart. I will dig through my stuff this weekend and see what I find about checking the stock one. I just bought the one you see in the Lindsey Racing pic. They can be taken apart and different springs can be used.

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic

Ahh.. I know this as the BOV. How do you test it again? My car has always felt quick on boost but dog slow off idle.... though I understand the chips fix that
Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

If the recirc-valve is stuck in recirc-mode (that's the failure we're talking about, right?), would on-boost performance be noticably worse? That is, if it's bad, would my recirc-valve cause poor performance at low & high rpm or just low (under 3k)?

My recirc-valve might be original; I've never changed it
Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

I would imaging all but wide open throttle would suffer. Slower to react and get up on boost.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:14 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
The other day I helped out a friend on a US spec '86 customer car. We fixed some problem with the hatch mechanism, an oil leak and went through the wiring to convert it to Euro spec front fog/driving lights, working out the subtle and slightly confusing harness differences in the relay/fuse box between ROW and US spec cars. The car was stock engine-wise, and remarkably clean regarding some bolts that are usually always rusty and out of use on Euro spec cars (like the four inner screws holding the batwing to the plastic wheel wells).
I then started the car to move it around and was absolutely shocked how miserable the engine responded. The throttle response was so poor I could not help feel there was something wrong with it, when in fact some proper driving showed it was just running the way it should.

This brings me to the point of this post - are there folks out there who really buy such cars out of enthusiam for their standard behaviour?
With the proper 3bar Fuel Pressure Regulator and a Lindsey racing boost enhancer the car would have better throttle response. For example my lartmobile #4 did 345@16 psi, once I increased boost to 18psi 1st and2nd gear were useless at wot with brand new tires.

I bought this car from a member fluidplay (Dennis) it had sustained a engine and fuse box short circuit I had to replace all the wiring harness for the engine bay and inside the cabin under the dash

Quick Reply: Losing grounds...?