Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Arghhh, I'm an idiot who drilled through the block!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

6lbft is plenty, have never, ever seen one come off or "be missing" when time for a water pump job, and i've done a ****load of them.

here's a weird thought for you, the camshaft cap bolts in my DOHC subaru are only set to ~6 lbft too.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:28 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

In service remember there is 1 bar of pressure pushing the WP away from the block. Torque on the bolts is just an indirect way to put clamping tension on them. It's too easy to strip small threads on an aluminum block.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Tripl7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
i never use any loctite on WP bolts, ever.

though antisieze is probably a good idea.
Ditto, never had an issue with mine either. Clean the studs and bolts with a wire wheel from corrosion and rust (my water pump hardware should be replaced it's so nasty) toss the gasket in torque to spec and never look back. Liquid thread sealer is what many older Chevy blocks required as their water pump bosses are drilled through to the water jackets on all 4 bolts. I always torqued by feel on those and never had an issue.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the info...

The 567 does stiffen up eventually. I hope it's enough to seal that one stud which is open to the cooling jacket. On the others studs and bolts I will also use the 567 as it will keep out coolant which causes the corrosion.

And hopefully I will go revving into the future with no coolant leaks. Or oil leaks. Or any leaks. For a longtime...

Quick Reply: Arghhh, I'm an idiot who drilled through the block!