Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning still around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought the Mtune from Josh many years ago. It is still functioning well and no issues at all. I would say 4-6 years ago or more. When I hit WOT, the car is a beast. With the MO30 sport plus suspension, the car handles perfect and I use the car to full potential.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:36 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen, thanks for that input.

Would you be willing to share the info I've laid out above, in order to help a few others achieve similar levels of nirvana?

I've had my 951 for just under 6 years and had the M tune installed for about 1.5. I've had flashes where it runs great, and I'm effing giddy, but I'm not at the point where I'd feel comfortable driving the car to work in traffic, for example.

would love your setup details as a benchmark.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

There was a trick to this setup. The programming of the chips were key to the success of this unit. I have a 4' exhaust, no cat, 3" down pipe in a garrett turbo. 3 bar regulator 80lb injectors, plus motor work. I have 3" intercooler pipes made special. Adjustable wastegate gives me power when I want it.

We did have an issues with the idle on slow down. Josh corrected that and I think it took three chips to get it right. This was back when the Mtune just came out and Josh was very involved. The car now can spin the rims off the tires if I hit it a 21 lbs of boost. The car is somewhat rare in color, Nile Green. I think two were painted in 1987 that color. I have a Saratoga top from Pilkington and the D90 rims. Actually I have three sets of rims, Phone dials and Turbo rims too.

The ECU was done by Josh to 28 din, I never run on E85, no reason too. One key item is to make sure you run rich when you spool the turbos. If not, the outcome may not be good. I dump fuel like a madman, I even have flames coming out the exhaust. I love burning peoples bumpers. Sick but true.

What rounded it out was the MO30 Sport plus suspension. My son drives the car better than anyone I have ever seen. Even my TT gets a run from that car. He corners better than I do, I go faster on the straights, but once that car hits turns, it is gone. Hate that, only when I am not driving the car.

All in all, it is a great car, runs great, no issues and just had the timing belt and Water pump done too. I built the car with my son in mind, this was while he was in the Air Force. Can't tell you how sick I felt when He was in Afghanistan and I heard the bombs dropping while we spoke on Mondays. I have willed this car to him and when I asked him what would be the first thing he would do, he replied, Go faster, Bigger turbo. I think I created a monster.

One thing I remembered, there was no reason to adjust the idle manually, it was done via the ECU. Also, I used a Hunter lawn sprinkler to adjust the FQS switch to 6% richer in fuel. I think it was the third setting from the left. That made a world of difference.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
There was a trick to this setup. The programming of the chips were key to the success of this unit. I have a 4' exhaust, no cat, 3" down pipe in a garrett turbo. 3 bar regulator 80lb injectors, plus motor work. I have 3" intercooler pipes made special. Adjustable wastegate gives me power when I want it.

We did have an issues with the idle on slow down. Josh corrected that and I think it took three chips to get it right. This was back when the Mtune just came out and Josh was very involved. The car now can spin the rims off the tires if I hit it a 21 lbs of boost. The car is somewhat rare in color, Nile Green. I think two were painted in 1987 that color. I have a Saratoga top from Pilkington and the D90 rims. Actually I have three sets of rims, Phone dials and Turbo rims too.

The ECU was done by Josh to 28 din, I never run on E85, no reason too. One key item is to make sure you run rich when you spool the turbos. If not, the outcome may not be good. I dump fuel like a madman, I even have flames coming out the exhaust. I love burning peoples bumpers. Sick but true.

What rounded it out was the MO30 Sport plus suspension. My son drives the car better than anyone I have ever seen. Even my TT gets a run from that car. He corners better than I do, I go faster on the straights, but once that car hits turns, it is gone. Hate that, only when I am not driving the car.

All in all, it is a great car, runs great, no issues and just had the timing belt and Water pump done too. I built the car with my son in mind, this was while he was in the Air Force. Can't tell you how sick I felt when He was in Afghanistan and I heard the bombs dropping while we spoke on Mondays. I have willed this car to him and when I asked him what would be the first thing he would do, he replied, Go faster, Bigger turbo. I think I created a monster.

One thing I remembered, there was no reason to adjust the idle manually, it was done via the ECU. Also, I used a Hunter lawn sprinkler to adjust the FQS switch to 6% richer in fuel. I think it was the third setting from the left. That made a world of difference.

Hope this helps.
From what I've read, pre Lindsey m tune users who bought directly from Josh seem to love how the kit works. The original kit was "upgraded" a bit before Lindsey racing lauched it, designated as LR mtune. Seems that the lr mtune users are the ones experiencing these issues not the pre Lindsey users. Or at least that's what seems to be commonly posted. I'm still working on my lr m tune kit. Lindsey is now on Rev 3 software of their m tune. Any eprom chips labeled less than 5074 would be considered rev 2, if you were one of the real early kits like me you got a rev 2 update chip from Josh directly. The upgrade to rev 3 is optional. I'll be trying that next along with a fully rebuilt engine wire harness.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

I read thru the posts and I see complaints about running rich. I for one want to run rich at WOT, I like my motor. What we did was this, Garrett turbo, 3" pipe, 3 bar regulator, 80lb injector 4" exhaust and so on. Venturi delete was key to ridding vacuum headaches. Vacuum was a problem and having less areas for them to occur is something to think about. I had the surging idle issue, but was fixed by Josh. Took 3 Chips to correct all issues. The Mtune I have was one of the first out. Josh was amazing and so helpful. The car has run well for many years. If you want to run leaner, look to the FQS switch. Get a Hunter sprinkler key stick it in and lean it out. I choose the other way to run rich. I was buying products from LR and unfortunately, somewhere in there things just went sideways. I remember having issues with returns that did not go well. Wrong parts sent. From that time on, I cut all ties with LR. I have no idea how they are now and can not comment, hopefully they are better. They do have some nice products, I don't have any need for them at this time.

Also, the Mtune was made at high altitudes, I am at sea level. There was issues the came into play, but again, after three chips, all was corrected.

Hope this helps.

If anyone is in NY, I would be more than happy to show you the car and go over in detail all we did .. I have a few folks who were with me the whole time and can also add some info. I have a lift, so we can go under the car as well.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:48 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I read thru the posts and I see complaints about running rich. I for one want to run rich at WOT, I like my motor. What we did was this, Garrett turbo, 3" pipe, 3 bar regulator, 80lb injector 4" exhaust and so on. Venturi delete was key to ridding vacuum headaches. Vacuum was a problem and having less areas for them to occur is something to think about. I had the surging idle issue, but was fixed by Josh. Took 3 Chips to correct all issues. The Mtune I have was one of the first out. Josh was amazing and so helpful. The car has run well for many years. If you want to run leaner, look to the FQS switch. Get a Hunter sprinkler key stick it in and lean it out. I choose the other way to run rich. I was buying products from LR and unfortunately, somewhere in there things just went sideways. I remember having issues with returns that did not go well. Wrong parts sent. From that time on, I cut all ties with LR. I have no idea how they are now and can not comment, hopefully they are better. They do have some nice products, I don't have any need for them at this time.

Also, the Mtune was made at high altitudes, I am at sea level. There was issues the came into play, but again, after three chips, all was corrected.

Hope this helps.

If anyone is in NY, I would be more than happy to show you the car and go over in detail all we did .. I have a few folks who were with me the whole time and can also add some info. I have a lift, so we can go under the car as well.
I never looked into altitude. I live in PA. As far as rich and lean, I have my fqs set to -11% fuel which gives me a normalish tune. If I leave it at setting zero my wot afr is pegged in the low 9s.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:30 PM
bumflick
Racer

I changed out my DME temp sensor and that made a huge difference in my high idle when warm problem. I then adjusted the idle per Clarks directions, and tried to take it down below the factory recomended setting of 840 rpm+/-40 as I have read here. Got it to an indicated 800 rpm, and any lower seemed like it would stumble.

When I removed the jumper from the diagnostic port, idle went back to just under 1k (indicated).

Added plus... the lower idle seems to be contributing to lower operting temps.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
lawn_mower
Track Day

I just recently ditched the Mtune I had for a micro-squirt setup and it was by far the best thing I've done to the car. I was so displeased with the Mtune that came in the car I rarely drove it because it was ran so badly.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought A tune from Josh for my '89 track car many years ago and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:41 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Does anyone have the Rogue tuner they would like to sell? I have the logger and DME.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps.

This could not have been better stated. I am finally getting my car back on the road after a couple of years and a swapped transmission.

But before that I did the exact same thing with Josh, and have basically the exact same setup. I am doing the Venturi delete this summer.

Car ran very well before and was stout. I do believe in running more towards rich, especially turning the boost over 15-16 lbs. It works better with the original M-tune.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ICV always open

Does anyone know what changed with the version 2 chips that Josh sent out? I bought a Turbo S with M-tune installed, I believe it is a very early version with only a 28-pin chip and no revision sticker (pic attached). My issue since I bought the car is that my ICV is being held fully open all the time, even if I jumper the diagnostic plug. I have replaced the ICV, verified continuity in the harness, and even replaced the power transistors on the DME board. I have also replaced the DME temp sensor and verified its continuity through the harness. The only remaining causes I can still think of is either a problem with the chip programming or there is some other input to the DME that I don't know about that the DME is responding to by opening the ICV.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:44 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you have a M-Tune microprocessor and no EPROM at all?

To test the DME/ICV function, turn the key on but don't start the engine. You should hear/feel the ICV pulsing open & close.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:59 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like you have one of Josh's programmed 8051 micro's, which had 8K bytes of EPROM space for his code. Have you checked for vacuum leaks before and after the ICV?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone have a logger for sale?

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning still around?