Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning still around?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 03:23 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lincolnturns
Thought I'd chime in here again as is relevant. Darren and I have shared struggles and I have the same issue. Owned the data logger for 20 months now and have tried 4 laptops, 4 releases of TunerPro RT, 3 different ALDL cables, every version of Windows imaginable, sent Josh (and Dave L) pics of my data logger with direct wiring into the DME and have never had it connect so I can run logs. Sorta defeats the purpose of having it - and I also had two friends locally who are software developers take a stab at it just to make sure it wasn't me. COM port settings triple checked etc. Seems faulty as Hell.

AND while were on the subject here - I'm all for giving props where due but I've emailed Josh and Dave L both now to ask about future support for Rogue and if we can continue conversations about fine tuning things and help with diagnostics and going on 3 weeks I believe I have not heard a peep back.

Since the start of this thread was "Is Rogue Tuning Still Around?"....
Since you're in Seattle we should just try and meet up somewhere sometime with laptops & data loggers in hand and try swapping known good configurations. I think there's got to be something wrong with your DME or with your datalogger. We'd zero in on that pretty fast using my setup. I've used like 3 different Windows 10 laptops with my dme logger and they all work the same. A slow computer processor can result in low DME data sample rates but it should still connect and get something.

Have you verified that there's even a data stream coming out of your DME? You'd need an oscilloscope in order to do that though & the engine has to be running.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:27 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

gruhsy - can you pm me your contact info for FTech9? I have one of his DME's and have a question about it's configuration. I've sent multiple emails but have yet t receive a response. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:04 PM
lincolnturns
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark I'll ping ya shortly after the holidays here and see if we can meet up and go through a few things. Would VERY much appreciate that.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:35 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by markl951
Good news. Hope you make some progress.

I imagine that Josh has a customer database and he knows what everyone has in terms of hardware / software, etc. And that someday that database will get leaked online so we can all see it...

I see problems posted online and I've had other people ask me for help in person too but often the missing ingredient is the exact M-Tune configuration being described. With several versions of M-Tune out there as well as different models and versions of DME's it's difficult to follow the debug trail sometimes.

I don't recall that a warranty came with my M-Tune. If it did it's long expired by now. I saw the whole thing as an experiment and a chance to learn something more about my car. I've had my share of frustrations and time wasted but for now I'm still experimenting with M-Tune. It seems stable now and doesn't run rich so I don't have much to offer that relates to this current problem being discussed. I have some Datalogger problems I'm working on but not with TunerPro or connecting to a laptop. That all seems to work fine as well.

M-Tuners could be more helpful to each other if we could be more specific about the hardware / software we're using. Maybe we need our own database?
Thanks, I hope so too.

It's funny but he seemed kind of surprised when I told him about my setup, something wasn't adding up for him.

There is no warranty with stuff like this but I do think it came with a defect from day one and I've tried from very early on to get it sorted so even if there was a warranty and it ran out, my initial problem was never fixed.

It's so hard to diagnose stuff online.

I agree, a database of M-tune owner and configs would be amazing.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

for everyone

support@ftech9.com is the email address I used to contact Focus 9 Technology
Old 12-25-2018, 11:46 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I plan to tinker with my lr m tune and I'll be posting the results here. My speculation is that if I wire the map sensor to the harness as per the instructions on Lindsey's site and have my 24 pin DME that works perfectly converted to 28 pin that the kit will work as intended. I believe the rogue DMEs with the external map sensor port (or at least my early revision board) is causing the kit to act abnormally. I will also test my rogue DME with the map sensor connected through the harness instead of the external port to see if that makes any difference.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 AM
Adker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is where the isv corrects your air fuel ratio to bring it to 14.7

The ISV sets the idle speed, the injector duty cycle is changed to adjust the AFR in closed loop. Good write up from FR Wilks.
motronic.lambda.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adker
This is where the isv corrects your air fuel ratio to bring it to 14.7

The ISV sets the idle speed, the injector duty cycle is changed to adjust the AFR in closed loop. Good write up from FR Wilks.
motronic.lambda.
The idle screw in the throttle body sets the idle speed. This is why you bypass the isv electrically to set the idle. Many write ups on that.

The problem is when the car is making adjustments to data that's at one extreme or another. Hypothetically, if your car was idling in closed loop and you were seeing 9.0 afr. The car would reference the oxygen sensor reading either rich or lean ( obviously rich in our case) and then adjust fuel to try to correct the afr back to 14.7 then reference the oxygen sensor again. Rinse repeat until the car is at 14.7 or you've maxed out the adjustments your car can make. The isv serves as a buffer to pad the flow of air reaching the engine while these dynamic changes are happening. The isv can add or reduce air to stabilize the idle. As you can imagine, if the car is idling at 9.0 afr, the car has to significantly pull fuel to correct the mixture which in turn effects the idle and causes the isv to work harder. So these two adjustments air and fuel and are linked closely. These conditions also are also altered in air temperature and elevation.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Well I wish I had better results to share but after converting my good 24 pin DME to a 28 pin DME my lr m tune , though slightly improved, still runs oddly as it did with my rogue DME. Not sure I can really give this kit more chances. After a full rebuild of my motor, new dme engine harness, new DME, new klr, checking the map sensor ( wired directly into the harness and through the rogue DME external port), replacing all the sensors involved in the kit, installing the logger. The kit is still not running correctly. I may just switch back to my 951 max chip set as it ran much more reliably and smooth.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you rebuild/reseal your air idle stabilizer? Not sure if you saw my thread on rebuilding one. I have not run car yet but the amount mine was leaking prior to resealing is pretty substantial.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:00 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Did you rebuild/reseal your air idle stabilizer? Not sure if you saw my thread on rebuilding one. I have not run car yet but the amount mine was leaking prior to resealing is pretty substantial.
I bought a new one within the last year.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

I made some progress today. First off I wired the map sensor directly into the harness then I fully warmed up the car and installed the jumper wire to bypass the isv in the diagnostic port. With my rogue DME my AFR drops to 12.5. With my stock DME the car is almost spot on between 14.3 and 14.7. There's clearly a difference happening inside the two DMEs. However both DMEs are set at position 6 (-11% fuel) . I don't think I should have to pull so much fuel but it definitely makes the car more stable at idle. Some smaller things I've still noticed is that when starting the car from dead cold if you rev the motor the idle rpm slowly drops from just under 2k to idle. It falls slow enough as if you were slowly letting off the pedal. This only seems to occur during initial start up. There is also a slight pulse to the idle where it sounds a bit jerky instead of a consistent hum.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:09 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed Rouge's A-tune in two of my cars years ago, and they both run perfectly, without a single problem. Good afr's, stable idle, and they spool quicker and much earlier.
I never could get the logger to work, but the afr gauges tell the story of a happy engine, and my '89 track car makes 330 at the wheels with a stock turbo.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need a database of M tune users and their settings....

i will bite. Thoughts on data elements for such a database below

what do we need?
The actual version number on the chip
the version of the DME
type of turbo
Fuel correction setting
New ISV (yes/no)
readjusted idle (y/n)
cold idle rpm
warm idle rpm
cold A/F ratio at idle
warm A/F ratio at idle
warm A/F ratio at part throttle
warm A/F ratio at WOT
observed boost at various rpms (maybe a safe 2nd gear pull somewhere quiet, with and friendly observer in the passenger seat). Or spring for the logger.
observed AF ratio at various rpms during the same 2nd gear pull (really sounding like I need to buy the logger)

high idle when cold?
high idle when warm?
rev hang on throttle lift off?
bucking during accelleration?
bucking on deceleration (especially as the revs drop past 2000 rpm)

open to others' suggestions.

malcolm
Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bumflick
We need a database of M tune users and their settings....

i will bite. Thoughts on data elements for such a database below

what do we need?
The actual version number on the chip
the version of the DME
type of turbo
Fuel correction setting
New ISV (yes/no)
readjusted idle (y/n)
cold idle rpm
warm idle rpm
cold A/F ratio at idle
warm A/F ratio at idle
warm A/F ratio at part throttle
warm A/F ratio at WOT
observed boost at various rpms (maybe a safe 2nd gear pull somewhere quiet, with and friendly observer in the passenger seat). Or spring for the logger.
observed AF ratio at various rpms during the same 2nd gear pull (really sounding like I need to buy the logger)

high idle when cold?
high idle when warm?
rev hang on throttle lift off?
bucking during accelleration?
bucking on deceleration (especially as the revs drop past 2000 rpm)

open to others' suggestions.

malcolm
Thats definitely a good idea. As far as the atune results, I'm not sure that will be as relevant here but definitely brings some hope. As you know atune incorporates the stock afm which is known as being less sensitive than the maf kit and might still mask some minor issues that show up in mtune. That's just speculation though.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning still around?