Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Evap delete & Canister venting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Hey Tom.. I performed your test for my drive in this morning.... 30km, boosting quite a few times. when I parked, I got a bit of liquid in the can and the coolant had risen to the top

What do say? Does this confirm the HG?

I guess the milkshake under the cap wasn’t AOS seals after all. Bummer
Old 05-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Today’s milkshake after arriving to work:

Should I order the HG (kit)?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

How long was your drive to work?
That looks normal if the oil hadn't gotten all the way hot yet. Lot of water vapor in there (needs to boil off for a bit).
Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Just under 30min, 10 mins at highway speed (less; there was some stop & go traffic) and the rest stoplight to stoplight.

On my way home, it’s less congested, so I can drive highway speed longer without stopping. I’ll look again later to see if it changes.

To pre-empt any delays, I ordered an HG kit which should arrive next week. Any ideas to fully confirm before I take it apart?

Maybe I’ll leave the can in and see just how much collects next few days.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:34 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Just got back; weather is nice and hot, engine stays cool super cool, but... here's what is in the can and in the AOS:

Looks like the coolant has cleaned a bit of the beer left in the can. I didn't try to taste it.

Hard to see, but there is now floating globs of milkshake at the bottom of the AOS. It's worse than this morning.

Tom.. do I begin the operation?

Crazy.. but.. after all this work since Sept, I'm kinda looking forward to it!!

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 05-03-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh Dan you like it. Your head gasket is probably done. Or your oil cooler O-rings are bad. I had built an engine over 14 years ago, had maybe 4500 miles on it. When I removed the head I found that the head gasket was about to fail around the coolant passages. The head gasket was warped around all the areas where the coolant contacted the head gasket.
Order two cooler sleeves. And an oil cooler gasket kit. As well as your head gasket kit. Might as well order the o-rings for your AOS tank as well, maybe open another bank account.. It's all good fun.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163021825644
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F361468285307
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Super! Bring it on. Anything else I should add? How about oil pan gasket? lol

Ok.. I will order the oil cooler seal kit. Not sure what the sleeves are for—are you supposed to change these with the seals? Odd; they’re metal?—but I can do that too.

I can do anything now. I am Super Dan Porsche Mechanic Man
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Just get two of those sleeves, you'll see what there for as soon as you remove the oil cooler.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Okey Dokey.. will do & thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Yikes, AOS looks ugly. Hard to have 100% confidence the HG is bad based on one spit up, but all signs point that way. I'd pressure test the cooling system to rule out the possibility of external leaks, and bled the system thoroughly. If coolant is leaking externally, then air will get in the system. When air is in the system, it expands when the car heats up and can raise the coolant level and push coolant out the overflow. Can't say I have much hope, but it's (probably) worth doing before tearing the motor down. You might also check the oil itself before driving more to see if it is visibly compromised with coolant. Absent external leaks, the coolant overflowing points to the HG over the oil seals, but once the head is off, it will never be easier/cheaper to change the oil seals, so I'l probably do them both and hedge all bets. Sorry And, once the head is off, might as well have valves/seats/seals done and mating surface skimmed, if not done recently.

Not sure why you'd need two of those oil seal sleeves. It takes two o-rings, but only one metal sleeve.

Here are some links that might help, with part numbers, etc...

https://members.rennlist.com/tom8695..._seal_repl.htm

https://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/headgasket.htm

http://www.sears.com/pbt-deluxe-cool...FUXoZAod7BALXg
Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

The overflow has been happening pretty consistently since I've been back on the road. I'm pretty sure there are no external leaks; I've replaced almost all hoses and repaired the rad; nothing coming out anywhere. It continues to lose coolant.

The milkshake has been present for a long time. Last year, I figured it was AOS seals and changed those.

Head/valve work "recently"? To my knowledge, the head has never been removed. You make it sound like it's a regular maintenance item lol! I suppose at 160k US miles, I could do this. Have to find a decent place though. I have no experience in sourcing this work.

Humboldtgrin.. I too am confused about those sleeves. I've just ordered the other parts from Paragon (I've got a small credit there) and can't find any sleeves there. The PET diagram for the oil cooler shows no such thing, and the kit I ordered appears to be for the oil thermostat (?) or whatever this second diagram is. I've also ordered some special tool for $60 for installing the OPRV (I read a bit on Clark's).

Am I only supposed to be changing the two O-rings for the "oil cooler" connections #7 in first diagram (ie. the problem is air seeping in here) or servicing the "oil thermostat" (#10 second diagram)?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Ok let me go home and take a photo of what I'm talking about. I thought there were two. But I'm known to be wrong, I like to keep it consistent.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Not sure if the original asymmetrical pipe had its own part number, but the updated one is 951 107 152 03. Here's the picture from my write-up, linked above...

Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

So, that HG write-up is you! FYI I love it. I have been reading it before your link and it’s one of the best write-ups; I especially like the ‘while you’re in there list’ at the end. Also like the torque values with every assembly.

The oil thermostat housing seal piece looks good too. I’m not sure why so many call this job ‘oil cooler seals’? It’s confusing.

With these two pieces, I’m even more excited to get going on this.

The HG kit arrived today! Nice to have a local option for a change. Weekend is busy but I hope to get started. Somehow, after successfully doing clutch, confidence has increased ten-fold
Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Don't forget you'll need some way to tension the timing belt. On the non-turbo cars, the oil cooler sits inside that console, rather than the oil thermostat, so people tend to call it that even though the turbo's cooler is external.

Quick Reply: Evap delete & Canister venting?