Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

brake pedal noise/click

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 05:31 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pedal noise/click

When I press my pedal down about an inch or two I get a pop/click sound that I can feel in the pedal.
When I release it unpops at the same point.
I can definately feel it in the pedal.

It feeling is hard to describe. Somewhat like a suction cup being compressed then uncompressed.
Or a coke can when you press the side and then release so it pops back out.

I can't see anything visibly that the pedal is making contact with.
Anyone know what this might be?

Could air in the fluid somehow cause this? I just rebled the brakes a few weeks back, so
I can't imagine thats it, but I can't see anything else.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to know the answer as well. Mine does the exact same thing, off and on though. Brake pedal feel is normal and I've inspected the calipers/rotors and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Almost feels like a sticking piston caliper.....hmmm.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

ditto. mine does the same but I only notice it while stopped. I am assuming that it is somthing in the master cylinder but I have not worried about it
Old 01-03-2004, 03:28 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Yes, I never notice it while driving either.
In fact, I don't even know if it happens when I'm driving.

Atleast I'm not alone with this problem
Old 01-03-2004, 02:46 PM
emilysgranny
Pro

You may have some worn or broken plastic bushings in the foot pedal assembly. This is the assembly under the dash at the firewall inside the cabin that the footpedals pivot on.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:12 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Are you guys getting the noise inside the car at the pedal assembly or outside at the calipers? I still have the former, but corrected the latter with new calipers (suspect seized caliper pistons). When time allows, I'll peek under the dash to check on the plastic bushings...
Old 01-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Zu_langsam
Instructor

the noise/ pop is definatly from inside or the master or booster, not the calipers. Worn bushings make the most sense as the pop comes just as there is resistance on the pedal. I bet that if we were bleeding our brakes the noise would not be there when the bleeder is open and there is no resistance on the pedal
Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
dc944
3rd Gear

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I've searched the forum, but can't find anything. I have a click/pop noise that I can feel and hear in the brake pedal after a certain amount of pedal travel. I can feel it in the clutch pedal, too. I suspect a bushing in the pedal assembly, but may be the booster or master cylinder? I've also seen a couple posts where there are cracks at the firewall near the clutch slave cylinder.

I'm going to try and get down in there with a flashlight and see if I can see exactly where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same popping noise in my pedal for years. It gets annoying when coming to a complete stop and you can feel and hear the pop in the pedal.....
Old 03-11-2012, 03:27 AM
dc944
3rd Gear

Will, I know what you mean! It wouldn't be so bad, but you can feel it, too. I've narrowed it down to the brake booster or master cylinder. I checked the entire master and booster assembly and nothing is loose. I'm fairly certain this isn't related to the firewall cracks that can start around the clutch master cylinder. When I get under the dash and pull away the insulation, I can feel the pop in the linkage going from the brake pedal into the booster. My master cylinder is easily >10 years old, so I'm going to go ahead and replace it and see if that fixes the noise. I'll let you know what I find...
Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be the sleeve on the pedal, #2.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-85/702-00.php
If the mount for the bake booster #6 or the firewall were cracked, that would make this noise and would be hard to see unless you take things apart.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-88/604-00.php
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep me updated. I never really considered something to be wrong with the actual brake system....as the brakes work great. Always thought it was related to the front suspension.....

Quick Reply: brake pedal noise/click