Seat & Steering wheel position - Track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat & Steering wheel position - Track car

When you guys mount your seats in your track cars, do you try mount it as far back as possible? Do you try get the steering wheel further back?

I was trying different positions but if i start moving the seat back and pulling the wheel back, i can't reach the centre console where i'd have switched ect.

Tips, Photos all welcome.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:47 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I've set up a few seats in 944 cars and there are some challenges for sure. The challenges are different depending on the car and the driver(s). If you are having multiple drivers, you're going to want a good slider and that will lift the seat a bit off the floor. With just one driver it's easier especially if you aren't super tall. The first thing to set up is the distance from the pedals. You want to be able to get all the pedals to the floor. The next is adjusting the tilt of the seat to get your head in the right place so it's not banging roll bars etc. Hopefully after that your arms are in the right place, but if not you can get a spacer for the steering wheel to move it closer. You can also get different shape dish wheels. Really tall drivers need the seat way back and often quite reclined, but still hopefully not into the roll bar, they are the toughest drivers to fit. Here's our chump car set up for one very tall driver on sliders, but also works for more average size drivers too. We used a spacer on the wheel and a dished wheel.

To answer your question, there's no way to reach the dashboard for long legged short armed drivers. I can barely touch the sport chrono in my seating position.

Last edited by JustinL; 04-17-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Answering original question
Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks Justin for a very good answer, you've given me something to think about.

It will be only me driving it. And dad if he wants to. So i'll probably make a 2nd mounting point for the seat.
I'll be running tilton floor mount pedals as it's an auto shell so moving them around isn't a problem.

Just trying to be able to street it (due to rules, and if i want to take it to cars and coffee) and be ideal for track makes it hard. more i look at it. leaving the wheel in the stock position is the best option but then the seat is far to close to be viable to get in and out of also.
May have to result to a bunch of buttons on the steering wheel. Already planned to have a couple anyway.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:57 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

If you are mounting the seat just for you, it makes things a lot easier. Mounting seats is one job that makes me want to throw wrenches across the garage, so I would say that once you have it mounted for yourself, never move it. Having moveable pedals will make it easier to have someone else hop in and drive. I hear about people who plan to swap seats for track days and imagine that they have infinite patience because that would drive me insane. In my 951S, I have a Sparco Ergo mounted and it's really nice and fits well into the car. That one is bolted in place so I could get it in a more optimal position with the stock wheel and pedal positions. I'm 1.83m tall and thin, so it's pretty easy to get a race seat setup for my body size. If you are a wide-body, you may start running into trouble with the width of the tub and the position of the stock holes in the floor. The last thing you need to think about is the inner seatbelt mount. You either need to mount it to the tub at the tunnel, or use the 964 mount to attach it to the stock holes in the floor. 964-521-065-00

Attachment 1350812
Old 04-17-2018, 04:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
When you guys mount your seats in your track cars, do you try mount it as far back as possible? Do you try get the steering wheel further back?

I was trying different positions but if i start moving the seat back and pulling the wheel back, i can't reach the centre console where i'd have switched ect.

Tips, Photos all welcome.

Thanks.
Not sure why you want to be so extreme in the rear position.

Probably no further back than the maximum a normal slider would put you with a factory seat.

Arm needs to feel comfortable at the shifter and I use the space directly in front of that for my E fire system pull.

I mean, I get that some people will want to explain that getting body weight of driver further back is beneficial but I'll tell you 100% right now, this is so minute, there isn't one driver participating in this forum that this is a limiting factor.

Put the seat where you can comfortably reach the shifter and the wheel even without a wheel extension and you will be fine.

T
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The rule of thumb as how far the seat should be from the steering wheel for me is:

Being able to drape my hands over the top of the steering wheel at my wrists. The way my driver's compartment is set up I can get to all of my controls in my harness with it being tight, especially the interior kill switch and fire suppression system actuator.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I am 6ft 4inches tall and 185 pounds. Would you recommend the 951 for tall and skinny people?

Ive owned a 951 with stock steering wheel and stock seat and was very comfortable in it. The seats did not hug me tight but there is not an aggressive amount of side support on the stock seats anyways.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
If you are mounting the seat just for you, it makes things a lot easier. Mounting seats is one job that makes me want to throw wrenches across the garage, so I would say that once you have it mounted for yourself, never move it. Having moveable pedals will make it easier to have someone else hop in and drive. I hear about people who plan to swap seats for track days and imagine that they have infinite patience because that would drive me insane. In my 951S, I have a Sparco Ergo mounted and it's really nice and fits well into the car. That one is bolted in place so I could get it in a more optimal position with the stock wheel and pedal positions. I'm 1.83m tall and thin, so it's pretty easy to get a race seat setup for my body size. If you are a wide-body, you may start running into trouble with the width of the tub and the position of the stock holes in the floor. The last thing you need to think about is the inner seatbelt mount. You either need to mount it to the tub at the tunnel, or use the 964 mount to attach it to the stock holes in the floor. 964-521-065-00
Interesting idea by making the pedals adjustable That shouldn't be as difficult. I dont believe he'd drive it much but i know at one stage he'll want to have a go at it.
Yes i forgot all about seat belt mounts when moving the seat. Point noted. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Not sure why you want to be so extreme in the rear position.

Probably no further back than the maximum a normal slider would put you with a factory seat.

Arm needs to feel comfortable at the shifter and I use the space directly in front of that for my E fire system pull.

I mean, I get that some people will want to explain that getting body weight of driver further back is beneficial but I'll tell you 100% right now, this is so minute, there isn't one driver participating in this forum that this is a limiting factor.

Put the seat where you can comfortably reach the shifter and the wheel even without a wheel extension and you will be fine.

T
I dont want it all the way back, just to make it easier getting in and out i suppose.
I could be over thinking the seating position.

Thanks for the tips so far, truly appreciated!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:24 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951
I am 6ft 4inches tall and 185 pounds. Would you recommend the 951 for tall and skinny people?

Ive owned a 951 with stock steering wheel and stock seat and was very comfortable in it. The seats did not hug me tight but there is not an aggressive amount of side support on the stock seats anyways.
Yes. I'm similar size and fit well.
After my first DE I installed a pair of Recaro SDR's and harness bar.
The SRD's sit considerably lower and offer much more bolster support but the car becomes less of a daily driver once you go down that path.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 230 Likes on 169 Posts

I think a lot of us have struggled with this. And yes it requires creativity & patience. When I get my car on the road again it'll be a DD so I went with this flip set up. My stock pedal arms have welded extensions around 3" and the shifter is extended & tilted back to accommodate the rear most drivers position on custom brackets.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:33 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind that you don't want your arms extended past a 90 degree angle when holding the steering wheel. Not in a race car anyways.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951

Yes, it's a great platform for tall drivers.
I'm 6' 5" and 205. In stock form I didn't fit well, but I positioned my race seat far back and almost on the floor. I had to extend the steering wheel back a few inches. Now it's a really comfortable position, but too some fiddling.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Yes i forgot all about seat belt mounts when moving the seat. Point noted. Thanks.
You may find your current belts won't work because the distance between the console/outboard mounting points are too close to the buckle point or the adjuster hits the seat opening. I had to switch belt manufacturers when I setup my car. The Schroths I have now work well.

Quick Reply: Seat & Steering wheel position - Track car