Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Radiator end tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 04:30 PM
elanman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator end tank

Finally tracked down the coolant leak in the radiator area of my 951 .I first thought it was the sender. then the loose clips on the pipes above the sender but was dismayed to find a cracked plastic end tank .I am not sure how this was caused ? The rubber grommet ,into which the retaining screw seats, on the side with the leak was a bit damaged but the crack in the plastic looks like a compression failure
A spare old radiator came with the car but the sender position has no brass insert. Do these older radiators work or do they leak from the sender? I will test the rad but that will only be a short pressure test for an hour or so
(Also how do you get the electrical connectors that connect the fans ? Just pull? Removing the rubber boot shows nothing)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I don't know the answer to your crack questions, but I can tell you that removing those fan electrical connections is funny: I've done this about three times, and each time I try to remove them how they appear to connect, just when I'm about to break them, I figure it out.

Ok, I don't remember this moment what the move is, but it's definitely NOT what you think it is!

If we weren't in the middle of this crazy ice storm right now, I'd go out and have a look...
Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

This might help with the connection Q.. notice that the main "white" part stays on the fans...

Old 04-16-2018, 05:38 PM
elanman
Advanced

Strange I have tried just pulling them out(with a lot of force) as per Pelican procedure but neither will budge. I got a feeling if I pull any harder the motors of the fans will break
Has anyone got any recommendations for a new rad, in case my spare doesn't work, besides the Porsche part?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been looking at all aluminum ones on eBay, prices don't seem to bad.

Mine just pull off by the rubber boot. It's snowing and I'm bored so I checked it myself. Should work unless yours are different somehow. Of course mine have been on/off a few times over the years.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Mine just pull off, but mine have been pulled so many times if there is a keeper it is long gone.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:08 PM
elanman
Advanced

My plugs most likely have never been off. I may try a hair dryer to heat up plastic
If that doesn't work I will try to put back fan tray as assy but it makes it very difficult to not damage radiator
For my research Aluminum rads don't,fit unless very expensive. Anyway these rads are a waste of money once the vehicle is moving you could have tiny rad to cope with the heat transfer reqd
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by elanman
My plugs most likely have never been off. I may try a hair dryer to heat up plastic
If that doesn't work I will try to put back fan tray as assy but it makes it very difficult to not damage radiator
For my research Aluminum rads don't,fit unless very expensive. Anyway these rads are a waste of money once the vehicle is moving you could have tiny rad to cope with the heat transfer reqd
I will disagree with you whole heartedly on a small radiator sufficing at speed. Dependent on how much boost you are throwing at these engines you are producing a corresponding amount of heat. I have had stock new radiators that could not deal with the amount of heat that was being produced under prolonged boost.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:23 PM
elanman
Advanced

OK you maybe right but if you tell me what your in and out temps are or need to be and we can have a guess knowing the pump flow rate. Even at mad boost levels the engine can only produce a certain level of heat output to the coolant. When the pump is spinning quickly and the airflow is significant the heat transfer from the rad should be more than adequate.it will depend on a lot of factors like the pressure drop of the coolant thru rad and airside and the design of the OEM radiator fin and tube pack. The margin in most OEM radiators of this era are very big(not now)
Not sure about the Al rads available ,do they use turbulators in the coolant tubes?

Quick Reply: Radiator end tank