Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upcoming Dyno session couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 07:06 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear about that as well...the off-idle stumble is my biggest concern right now.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Matt and Jason

I've identified the cells causing my issues (stumble and stall). However, I still need to have the 1.8 resistor in place.

My intentions is to let Tom drive her after the dyno session to get a third opinion.

The issue is due to that neither the serial link nor the hand held accurately displaying or documenting all of the cells that the car actually uses. For example, while both the hand held and the serial link documents that Baby is idling only in cell 305 in actuality she is also heavy dependent on cell 205.

For those that have the system, while idling in cell 305 crank up 205 and note the differences in idle. The car's tendency to hunt at idle will go away. To me this is a serious inherent design flaw, not displaying all cells actually being used with either unit. It should have NEVER been marketed this way.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Is it THAT bad? Would you, if you had it to do over again, not go with the MAP/Link system and stay MAF, or are you still pretty happy with it?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by ewainwright
For those that have the system, while idling in cell 305 crank up 205 and note the differences in idle. The car's tendency to hunt at idle will go away. To me this is a serious inherent design flaw, not displaying all cells actually being used with either unit. It should have NEVER been marketed this way.
Isn't that because of the interpolation between cells? Can't remember the limits right now, but let's say 305 is 500-1000 rpms, 10-20 in hg ... 205 would be over 20 in hg ... now, if the car is idling at 850 rpms, 18 in hg, it's calculating the exact amount of fuel based on not only cell 305, but also some % of 205, probably 310 and maybe even 210 ... for instance I had weird jumps between rich/lean in the 2xx row low load cruise, enough vacuum and it would go mad lean, slightly less vacuum and overly rich... got it sorted out by adjusting 1xx row(!!)

True, it sucks that one can't really tell where the fuel is calculated from, but it's not 100% evil IMHO.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally posted by ewainwright
Matt and Jason

My intentions is to let Tom drive her after the dyno session to get a third opinion.

Cool! You can drive my old-fashion ARC2 car, and we can see if technology has really made any progress. I keep getting home too late to call you, but will before Saturday. What kind of HP are you expecting to see?
Old 01-07-2004, 12:09 AM
ewainwright
Racer

I'll agree that the Link MAP system isn't 100% truly evil, particularly when compared to my ex-mother-in-law. However, tuning it is/was a time consuming stressful guessing game. I want to enjoy my toy.

This ordeal started in June, I didn't get all the pieces until around the end of September, with substandard parts (the J pipe I received was nothing like what's in the GURU's site. In fact my hood wouldn't close with it and I still feel ripped off by it. Other experiences with it and delivery time issues are well documented on this board).

It took until the end of December/ January to get it running somewhat satisfactory. If there were some detailed instructions on dialing it in (like I asked for in the beginning like with the serial link computer) and an accurate way of knowing WTF cell is its in now, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad.

In contrast, none of FAST951 customers dialed in the cars "out in the cold." They had questions and FAST951 had answers (please note how he answered my questions). Fast951's customers sent him their readout FAST951 sent back solutions. I only remember reading about one unhappy customer. Where as the balance of his customers wouldn't be willing to go down without a bloodly fight

Dave at Lindsey stopped work on a project to help me with the Y pipe and other issues while installing his turbo

On the other hand, with the Link I heard promises that were continuously broken and the finger pointing was totally uncalled for. I paid my money and I wanted support to get my car running nicely. I am not asking any more than any consumer, that is to be treated fairly. In short I wouldn't wish this experience on my ex-mother-in-law although she so richly deserves it. ed

Edit: In re-reading this I guess I have issues - with my ex. Dave at Lindsey stated that I would be around 350 -375 rwhp. We'll see

Last edited by ewainwright; 01-07-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

It took me one phone call ~3 min to Tim at SFR to get my Arc-2 tuned close enough to drive safely, then 30 min on the dyno to get it optimized. Total time invested less than 40 minutes. Granted, I'm only squeezing 250-260 rwhp out of a 26/6.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Dyno session couple of questions