dme/klr check

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dme/klr check

hello everyone,
ive been working on restoring an 86 944t. w7fe bought it for me as aretirement project..blown head gasket etc (salvage title)
while looking at the spare box of parts that came with it, a dme/ klr was in it so i plugged it in and started the car. lo and behold it ran, but way too rich. opened it up and installed are authority chips in it. so i just plugged the other set back in and it isnt as rich .
are authority chips designed to run rich or is there something wrong with my dme/klr?
i dont have an oscilliscope nor do i know how to use one to check it.
i cant seem to find any checks utilizing a multimeter to see if my units are in working condition other than plugging it in and start the car.
thank you everyone for your advice.
if its working i may sell it or trade for other parts needed.... ie clutch, or interior carpet and door panels
Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it runs the car it’s probably fine, just rich based on chips or physical issue some where in air/fuel/spark.

It pains me to read all the DME problems people have, I wish everyone would just go standalone and never worry again about needing an oscilliscope.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:19 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks NCLA951
Old 04-07-2018, 11:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

It's probably not the chips unless you took it out and ran hard. Most chips add fuel at WOT, etc. but are fairly close to stock at lower loads. Most likely, something else is causing the rich condition like a bad temp sensor, bad O2 sensor, weak ignition, etc. There's also a fuel quality switch you might check on the DME, which can be turned to add or reduce fuel. The DME/KLR is actually an impressive feat of engineering for the technology available at the time, and is not a particularly problematic part on these cars.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:03 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed! In my case, it was most likely, in retrospect, an AFM failure that led me to standalone. Had I replaced everything I probably would have found that cause, despite having tested it, reset the tracking, and having it run flawlessly for a time. I advocate for them because they will tell you off the bat which sensor is not working, and if you’re into modding your engine, you don’t have to get new chip, or piggyback, you just connect your laptop with BT and go drive.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
It's probably not the chips unless you took it out and ran hard. Most chips add fuel at WOT, etc. but are fairly close to stock at lower loads. Most likely, something else is causing the rich condition like a bad temp sensor, bad O2 sensor, weak ignition, etc. There's also a fuel quality switch you might check on the DME, which can be turned to add or reduce fuel. The DME/KLR is actually an impressive feat of engineering for the technology available at the time, and is not a particularly problematic part on these cars.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

What's a "standalone"?

Quick Reply: dme/klr check