Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR billet fuel rail noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Here's a photo of my billet rail. It has zero noise. Fuel is plumbed from the Weldon pump in an 8AN line to the back of the rail and exits the rail in the front in an 8AN line to the FPR. From there it returns to the cell via a 6AN line. The lines ae not teflon lined. There is no damper and I have had no fuel problems.

Alan C.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:57 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan,
Are your 8AN feed and 6AN return lines SS braid or rubber?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:18 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So is this REALLY an improvement over stock ??
Old 01-03-2004, 07:27 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan,

Is your fuel rail made out of the generic fuel rail stock that Electromotive sells?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

JWL, The lines are rubber with stainless braid mfg. is Goodridge.

David, For my car I felt it was an improvement.

Adrial, It looks like the Electromotive stock rail. However, I can't say for sure. I purchased it from someone posting on this board. unfortunately I lost his address.

Alan C.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JWL - thats great to see that the idea works. How is the clearance between the tire and the FPR when you have the steering at full lock ? Obviously thats a fairly critical issue with putting the bulky FPR in that area.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

OZ951, I had to do some trial fitting before I found a good location for the damper. You can see the two studs where the splash guard mounts in the fender well so I mounted the damper in this location so it would fit into the
slot. It's a tight fit and haven't checked to see if the tire hits at full lock.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

jwl,
Do you plan to cover the damper? I'd worry about rocks and other forms of debri hitting it.
Alan C.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:25 PM
AlexE
Pro

Great work JWL....

- so we have determined that the damper that comes with the lindsey rail does not provide accurate dampering..... (primarily because of it being on a T)

- any aftermarket damper that can fit on the end of the rail? similar set up as the stock damper? (same idea as ski's setup)

- I don't like the idea of having all that bulkiness in the wheel well. Rocks? etc....
Old 01-04-2004, 07:07 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I don't mean to offend anybody here but I do not see this as a fix. Call me picky or what ever but I expect something done by Lindsey to fix the problem. You guys are doing a great job figuring out what was making the noise did anybody try just a rubber hose yet to se if that cures the problem? Maybe Lindsey can just change the material of the hose for the feed line?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:14 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys... (AlanC and Ski)

Are the fuel rail ends (connecting the hose to the fuel rail) aluminum?

If so, you have to be crazy. Get that same fitting made out of steel. Engine vibrations can easily crack the aluminum fittings especially since they are indirectly bolted to the engine.

I only use aluminum fittings like that if the part is not directly or indirectly bolted to the engine. I've seen aluminum fittings like that crack. When they crack, they leak bad real fast, unlike steel which if it cracks, opens up much more slowly (not to mention that the steel fittings are about 10x more crack resistant).

TonyG
Old 01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, wait a minute. This was just an EXPERIMENT to try to eliminate the noise. Both photos are from Jims car,(mine is black) just to see if the noise COULD be eliminated, it was. Jim then drove the car today, the fender well fit in, the damper was protected from debris and the A/F ratios of the car didn't change from before. Again, an experiment.

So my conclusion to all of this, with Jim saying that most of his noise seemed to come from around the passenger seat area, is that the teflon lining of the fuel line is carrying the sound, as it resonates from the rail. Laust would have a much better handle on this from a technical standpoint, I haven't a clue. That's not important right now as much is the fact that the noise has been stopped by a factory damper and some rubber line. I am going to try rubber line with three coils and then go to the teflon line. I'm emailing Dave the photos, maybe he'll send them to Marren, and yes, maybe they will do something for us, I think they should.

Tony, yes the fittings are aluminum, like the Aeroquip fittings.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking it was an experiment until people started talking about rocks hitting the damper and all where JWL had it. When you do the rubber hose Ski make sure you don't have the connection with the teflon hose touching the car at all. I appreciate all the work you guys are doing to figure this out and I sure hope Dave does too.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by tazman
... Call me picky or what ever but I expect something done by Lindsey to fix the problem. You guys are doing a great job figuring out what was making the noise did anybody try just a rubber hose yet to se if that cures the problem? Maybe Lindsey can just change the material of the hose for the feed line?
I agree and am sure Lindsey Racing will make it right for us all.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Alan C., AlexE - I put the damper in this location so that the splash guard would fit back as original. The splash guard fits kinda tight but works and completely covers everything up! After driving the car today tire didn't rub, fuel pressure was good, AFR's the same and no noise!

tazman - This may not be THE solution but it's something that works while we're waiting on Dave!
The rubber hose is a good idea and may be a simpler solution,,, I know ski intends to try this when he get his fuel rail installed.

Quick Reply: LR billet fuel rail noise?