Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is this normal?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is this normal?

I'am rebuilding my 951 engine, stock crank, stock rods, stock block 100.50 and Mahle pistons, and after I installed the crank, rods and pistons I seen that the rod- piston clearance on cylinder #1 it's a bit small than the rest. The clearance on one side of the rod (near cyl #2) it;s 0.6mm.
I can't find any details in Workshop manual regarding this clearance and I don't know if it;s ok.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:24 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Did you have your rods reconditioned/checked? It's possible that rod is tweaked. Have a competent shop check them for straight/twist/length, and of course big end concentricity and pin bushing wear This should be part of any 944 engine rebuild.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did have the rod checked at the shop when I installed the pin bushings and hone them to size. I also installed removed the piston and installed with the arrow pointing at the flywheel ( turned 180 degrees) and the gap remained the same in the same place. And I did also check the piston from the old engine, that was installed with this rod and find no abnormal wear. I didn't change the rod so far, at the moment I don't have spare circlips forthe pistons and if I remove the clips I have to change them. I said to ask first maibe it's something that others have come across.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you were able to remove the rod, insert the pin, and measure the angle relationship between the rod and pin, I'd guess it's not 90 degrees.

Looks like it was honed at an angle.

Doesn't look like such a big concern but this causes focused pressure on a small part of the pin bushing as if it were a "high spot".

T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this normal?